price on cobras

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

jeffro

price on cobras

Post by jeffro »

just wanting to know some of you guys imputs that own these cars.are the prices gonna continue to drop with the economy or when will we see them go back up and considerably?will a 93 cobra ever be worth 40-50k?if so how many more years,lol.i know economys gotten the price down on them but whats a 40k mile car worth when it recovers?post some imputs,i know the r cars have went up dramatically,how long before a standard cobra makes that plunge upward?i know you can tie up a fortune in restoring one,with the correct parts ,only in the hopes if you ever sold it you would get half of it back .seem some are worth more in parts vs the complete car,(ex 200k mile car) that brings 7k or so,to redo the car it would cost you alot more to restore with paint and to make the car presentable..... :roll: ...idk
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

I think the Teal cars are the ones that are going to hold or pull the most value in coming years. The red and blk cars are a little more easier to come buy these days. I think.

To get to that $40 - $50k mark within the next 5-10 years. I really think its going to be a Teal/blk/roof car with less the 5k miles, have a perfect carCRAPfax(lol.), vin#'s in place, garaged with the comforts of heat & a/c,
to get that $ amount. As you can tell I'm a teal cobra fan here.... :D

I think all other 93 cobras including the teals with higher miles but have been enjoyed and driven and taken care of. Will always be pulling over 10k and hit as high as 25k depending on condition.

Restoring to make money on the other end......I don't know. You might want to be in it for the long run.

But, with that said...I think any color 93 cobra that can be had for less then $6k and needed to be restored, could recover in value or brake even for the investment of restoring.

My opinion only......
aaronlstiles

93s

Post by aaronlstiles »

I disagree, the Teal cars seem to be Very Plentifull, as for Black car. I searched for 2 years now for the right car. I finally found it. Seems most all the blaack cars are Junck or wrecked up.

You ocassionally find a Low mileage Black car but they Bring BIG money, Low mileage teal and red cars pop up all the time. I have owned 30 Plus 93 Cobra, and only 2 where Black cars, both where rough cars. Most my red cars and teal car where all nice. So we will see what happend down the road Just my Opinion.
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

I don't think color will be as big an issue. Even options aren't going to be that big of an issue (after all, there were only five major options available). I think condition and number of miles will be the biggest factor.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

what could you buy a 68 Shelby for in 1980?
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

1993cobra wrote:what could you buy a 68 Shelby for in 1980?
That was exactly the point I was going to bring up. Ironic as all hell, but in 1980, before I was old enough to drive, I rode my bike to a local 7-11 in Phoenix to buy car magazines. One day, there was a light green metallic '68 Shelby GT500 KR for sale in the lot next to the 7-11. It was faded and not shiny, but absolutely mint otherwise and completely stock right down to the steel wheels with the mag wheel-looking hubcaps. I was just mesmerized. Asking price on the window sign: $6,500 OBO. Can you imagine that? That car in that condition these days is well north of 150K. I begged my father to buy it, but money was tight and he wasn't interested in it anyway.

Will the '93 Cobras be worth big money in the future? Maybe not Shelby money, but pretty strong when they are 30-40 years old.

-Mike S.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

It looks to me that a collectable car's value doesnt make the big jump until , the people that where just starting to drive or high school age at the time the cars were new, are retiring or at least in there money making prime. So when all the classes of 1992ish - 1996ish are in their 50s to mid 60s I think the 93's price will be at or near its highest. So for us that should be around 2035 - 2040, can you wait that long? Ill only be around 80 - 90 lol.

Appy this to the 1968 shelby and youll see that most people who were 16 or so in 68 , are now in their late 50s to early 60s.

Did any of that make sense??
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Absolutely! That's the point I've been making with some of my friends. I'm a generation X guy, and the 93 Cobra was the cream of the crop of the fox body cars. I graduated in 90, and there were a half dozen 5.0 cars I lusted after in high school. I finally got my dream in 95 when I got my teal car.

We are now getting to the point where we make decent money, and can finally go after the car we always wanted. I plan on giving the car to my kids, so I'm not too concerned about the value when I'm in my 50's. Of course, I may not give it to them till I'm in my 80's. :LOL:
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
aaronlstiles

93 Pricing

Post by aaronlstiles »

Well on colors, I finally have all 3 Now, so no big deal in that area, LOL. Plus the 93R. I just hope the market picks back up. I hate to see low mileage one's sell for 12K. But on the other hand look what a 93 Camaro is selling for, AAA, Not much, LOL.
226gpd

Post by 226gpd »

I always like giving my opinion..
I feel the prices will rebound and the 93's will hit extremely hard during the next "muscle car boom" which in my opinion ended about 2 years ago. In my experience buying and selling cars (note that I've owned the below listed Mustangs as well as 19 Corvettes and have restored several late 60's-early 70's muscle cars) the boom hits about every 5-8 years and runs strong for a couple years. Granted that it has never "hit" like it did this last time, thanks to Barrett Jackson and Mecum TV coverage.
My biggest point is that when it does hit again, and it will, the buying audience is going to be very crowded because there was a large gap in performance automobile production and not that many desirable cars were produced from approx. 1973 to the mid 80's..Those buyers will have to step up to the insane 60's era Shelby prices or move up to the mid 80's early 90's cars for collectable cars. I'm not meaning to degrade anyones car. There are desirable cars from the late 70's but they are few and far between where as the group that will consume the 93 Cobras will also be looking at Saleens, GTA Trans Ams, Buick Grand Nationals etc..
The biggest difference in comparing -what will the 93 Cobras do compared to the 60's era Shelbys is that that is 2 different leagues and mentallity changed during those 20-25 years. I know some Shelby GT500's were bought and stored and never driven back in the 60's but I'm pretty sure the majority were driven and beaten. Nobody knew what they would really be worth..Whereas some 93 Cobra R's were driven and beaten but the majority were bought and stored in a bubble. Just as many 93 Cobras were too..So when the market hits and these cars start bringing good money there will be enough to go around without them getting too stupid in price.

To answer your question about when prices will peek..I feel like it will be another 3-4 years but who knows..Some of it depends on the economy but not all of it. Allot of people have never missed a paycheck in all this mess..
2002 Corvette Z06
2000 Saleen 00-0134 (SOLD)
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe Reef Blue (SOLD)
1997 Saleen #59(SOLD)
93 Cobra #418 (SOLD)
2000 Saleen SC281 Convert. (SOLD)
93 Cobra #3398 Black/Gray(SOLD)
93 Cobra #4019 Red/Gray(SOLD)
2003 Cobra Convert. (SOLD)
1996 Saleen (SOLD)
1989 Saleen Convert. #80(SOLD)
jeffro

93's

Post by jeffro »

haha,alot of thoughts n both directions .guess thats why its tryin to look into the future,lol.i remeber when you could buy a shelby reasonable but its been 30 years ago then slowly went up a few years then took a "hit"(like you say)and went crazy for some.i believe.like the 93 cobra theres no telling how many were wrecked and parted out leaving the question of how many nice cars are still left today?even nice daily driven cars,half of them still out there???i got a 93 blk cobra with 37k miles on it,but thought of selling it ,but hate to think of the fact one day it could ring the bell,,lol..and like you said cobra 2771 "give it to ya kid",lol be hard guess when they are definitley older and when they are"responsible"!! .thanks for imput guys,just wanted some of the true 93 cobra owners opinion on these cars.....
226gpd

Post by 226gpd »

Keep it..don't be a fool like me and sell. I'm holding right now but I'll end up selling mine and be hunting for another..I always do.Keep that 37k mile car..
2002 Corvette Z06
2000 Saleen 00-0134 (SOLD)
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe Reef Blue (SOLD)
1997 Saleen #59(SOLD)
93 Cobra #418 (SOLD)
2000 Saleen SC281 Convert. (SOLD)
93 Cobra #3398 Black/Gray(SOLD)
93 Cobra #4019 Red/Gray(SOLD)
2003 Cobra Convert. (SOLD)
1996 Saleen (SOLD)
1989 Saleen Convert. #80(SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

BRETT_T wrote: To get to that $40 - $50k mark within the next 5-10 years.
No way is a standard Cobra going to bring that. The R's will as they're at the asking price now, though I don't know who's paying. I'm talking wrapper car's here too.

I have to agree with Mike as I don' think they'll demad Shelby-like money, but the'll hold there own when the hit the 30-40 mark. There are just too many of them out there, and plenty of guys who are sitting on them with under 10k on the ticker. It put's cars like mine (driven, not low mileage ) into the hands of every day Joes.

But hell, who really knows. Inflation's a bitch so God only knows what a driver or garage queen will be worth in 10 years.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
buddha

Re: 93s

Post by buddha »

aaronlstiles wrote:I disagree, the Teal cars seem to be Very Plentifull, as for Black car. I searched for 2 years now for the right car. I finally found it. Seems most all the blaack cars are Junck or wrecked up.

You ocassionally find a Low mileage Black car but they Bring BIG money, Low mileage teal and red cars pop up all the time.
That would be my opinion also. I see the reds all the time, end whatever the color, it's always the leather interior. I haven't seen a low mileage black on black in a loooooong time.

My buddy had a black 93' with cloth, new off the showroom floor. He's kicking his ass now for getting rid of it so many years ago.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP