93 Cobra Coyote Swap Build Thread

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

This is going to be a really nice car! More Pics! 8)
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Thank you! Good info as well. I am cautiously optimistic that I won't have an issue with this balancer. It is the same brand ford uses for the 5.0 Cobra Jet race car so I am hoping it will be alright. It is a high quality piece.

According to the article you linked the one they were using actually was to smaller unit for increasing boost. I am running the OEM replacement and have heard of a few people running these already,. I will hope I don't have an issue. Thanks for the heads up however
VaBeach93 wrote:Wow! Great build project, this has to be one of the coolest fox projects in the country.

Cliff notes: I have a Red '93 Cobra and an '03 Cobra vert that I've been considering selling to move to a 2013 GT500 but have decided against because I don't want the car payment and don't want to pay VA locality taxes on a 60k-ish car each year. I had decided on the coyote aluminator swap and then stumbled upon this thread. I've poured over each page of this thread with great interest. Great job so far!

One thing I noticed is that you put on an aftermarket balancer. Be careful here you may have to replace.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techar ... ewall.html

Skip past the dyno results for the relevant part. The aftermarket balancer was not compatible with the coyote oil pump shaft and it shattered not once but twice.
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Should have a few more tonight. I finally received my Hydratech booster and steering rack from AGR. I will test fit both tonight. Unfortunately I was out all of last week and will be out most of this week. I want to see progress so hopefully will get some quality build time soon.
JohnLynch wrote:This is going to be a really nice car! More Pics! 8)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Well it is a very good thing that I showed patience tonight. I was about to throw something at the car for a little bit tonight :cry: It seemed everything was conflicting and I was worried that I may have to go back to the original hydroboost and clutch set up. I did NOT want to do this. Turns out the spacer I made on the passenger side motor mount of the car was causing interference with the hydratech hydroboost system. Then, I had an issue with the coil cover on the rocker cover. It protrudes quite a bit and I had not noticed this before as it wasn't close to hitting anything. When I mounted the McCleod clutch master cylinder there was no way it was going to work. I took some deep breathes (and ate dinner) and went back for another look.

Well here are some pics

I'll start off with the new hydratech system

Here is the initial fitment. I had to take the cam cover off just to get it in place. I had to leave it loose to get the cam cover back on.

Here are some under dash pictures of the alignment

I figured when I was under the dash I would show pictures of the gas pedal mounted. It utilized a bracket from S&R (If I'm remembering correctly.

This series of photos will show how close everything was. There was no more than a 1/16" between the cam cover and the booster.

Well it was pretty close until I mounted the clutch master cylinder. Then I started to get real worried. Luckily a cooler head prevailed.

So this series of images are after I figured out the spacer was causing problems. Here are the initial fitments with the modified coil cover.

Interference with the bleeder on the brake master cylinder. I had removed the bleeder screw before these pics. You will notice how far it protrudes into the modified cover in later pics.

First fitment with another coil cover modification.

Final modifications to the coil cover

Little blurry on the first pic

Now for some pics of the new steering column going in. I can't stand the air bag column and really wanted a tilt column. Casper and I did a little horse trading and then I called Late Model Restoration for some new covers. Still have some work to do here but getting close. I will be going with a MOD88 Momo steering wheel to finish it off.

Yes I see how different the colors are. I am trying to find the two covers to finish it off.

I also took some random pictures

dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

good lord... :shock: gonna be sick man!
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
drkhrse

Post by drkhrse »

That is a tight fit, how firm are the motor mounts? That side is the one that is going to raise under torque.
-1993 SVT Cobra R #58, open track
-1993 SVT Cobra Teal #112, street
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

drkhrse wrote:That is a tight fit, how firm are the motor mounts? That side is the one that is going to raise under torque.
It is a tight fit. The motor mounts are stock 4.6 mounts. The motor will move around but it will not move towards the booster. The only potential conflict will be the master cylinder for the clutch. There is at least 1/2" of clearance now and the cylinder will actually move up and down freely without damage even if it is contacted another 1/2" or so.

Only time will tell how it's going to work. I have a contingency if it does hit too much but have to see how it works out first.
drkhrse

Post by drkhrse »

F8L SNK wrote:
drkhrse wrote:That is a tight fit, how firm are the motor mounts? That side is the one that is going to raise under torque.
It is a tight fit. The motor mounts are stock 4.6 mounts. The motor will move around but it will not move towards the booster. The only potential conflict will be the master cylinder for the clutch. There is at least 1/2" of clearance now and the cylinder will actually move up and down freely without damage even if it is contacted another 1/2" or so.

Only time will tell how it's going to work. I have a contingency if it does hit too much but have to see how it works out first.
I think there are some drop mounts out there, may be nice ot have a little extra room.

not sure if these will work.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal ... -drop.html
-1993 SVT Cobra R #58, open track
-1993 SVT Cobra Teal #112, street
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

I don't believe those will work. The motor mount setup in the 79-2004 mustang were all similar. The 05 and up are definitely different enought that I believe these won't come close.

I am going to run what I have until it proves to be a problem. If someone has a mount that may work better I am willing to try it however.

It does look closer in the photo than reality but I appreciate your thinking. If these mounts would work I would be willing to try them. The only issue is the steering rack to oil pan clearance if I go lower with the motor. Something is always affected
drkhrse wrote:
F8L SNK wrote:

I think there are some drop mounts out there, may be nice ot have a little extra room.

not sure if these will work.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal ... -drop.html
:x
redsvt

Post by redsvt »

tim you could always use a "k"member spacer no ill effects by doing that. and you gain the clearance up top needed and its possible you may be able to use the stock hood.
Blaine
2003 Lightning
1991 Coupe(pearl)
1993 Cobra(Fire crotch)
1991 hatch GT(menace to society)
1989 Saleen SSC(wachootoo-white devil)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Unless the spacers are 2" I will have to change the hood. It may help if I have interference with the clutch master cylinder. You need to come check out the project sometime when you get a chance.

s
redsvt wrote:tim you could always use a "k"member spacer no ill effects by doing that. and you gain the clearance up top needed and its possible you may be able to use the stock hood.
VaBeach93

Post by VaBeach93 »

That booster system sure is a tight fit. How does the hydroboost system compare fitment wise?

Also, how are you routing your tailpipes?
Vibrant Red '93 Cobra: 10.5:1 CHP 347, 5-speed (project soon to commence...)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

The Hydratech unit is closer to the motor than the sn95 hydroboost system. The difference is this unit is a direct bolt in. There is a 1/2" minimum clearance with the hydratech which is more than enough. The motor won't move side to side so this clearance is sufficient.

It also is already set up for braided lines which is a plus in my opinion, especially since I am using an aftermarket pump.

As far as tailpipes, not sure yet. Ordered them yesterday and then trial fitting. I'll let you know how that goes.
VaBeach93 wrote:That booster system sure is a tight fit. How does the hydroboost system compare fitment wise?

Also, how are you routing your tailpipes?
VaBeach93

Post by VaBeach93 »

Any more progress?
Vibrant Red '93 Cobra: 10.5:1 CHP 347, 5-speed (project soon to commence...)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

About to head out to the garage now. I have been traveling a lot for work unfortunately. Received a few new parts too :) Will post later this weekend
VaBeach93 wrote:Any more progress?