Custom made 5-lug 1993 cobra rims

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

93KingCobra

Custom made 5-lug 1993 cobra rims

Post by 93KingCobra »

I put my name on the list..Not sure if any one else saw this on the Corral..

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=947814
1993 Cobra Black #4265 of 4993 Born on 6/9/1993 SOLD
http://www.svtcobraclub.com
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I put my name on the list as well, almost too good to be true. I can't believe nobody else here, on the 1993 Cobra forum has an interest in five lug, completely original looking 1993 Cobra wheels. Hasn't anyone else converted to five lug 13" brakes and want to go back to a stock look? Hey, thank goodness the Corral has been able to generate 27 names so far.

-Mike S.

Hasn't looked stock in 12 years now.
marks93cobra

Post by marks93cobra »

I'm on the list too...the only reason I haven't gone 5-lug and added 13" brakes is because I wanted to keep the stock look but go with wider wheels (and yeah, I know all about the Baer brake kit to put 13" brakes on our cars).
Black306

Post by Black306 »

I don't plan on going 5-lug. If I did, I would have just gone to a rim repair place, have them weld up the existing holes, and redrill them for 5-lug. Shouldn't cost that much more than buying a set of knock-off 5-lugs if/when the come out.
Derek
WestCoastFords.com

'03 Cobra / '01 Focus S2

"Bottles are for babies...real men get blown."
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Black306 wrote:I don't plan on going 5-lug. If I did, I would have just gone to a rim repair place, have them weld up the existing holes, and redrill them for 5-lug. Shouldn't cost that much more than buying a set of knock-off 5-lugs if/when the come out.
I actually have a set of the new repro 8.5" four lug '93 Cobra wheels, which I bought to do just exactly that. We have two good wheel repair places in Phoenix and one very good machinist that I know, a shop that builds 1/4 million dollar hot rods. All three told me the same thing - it can be done, but would be a grand or more because welding up holes as large as those in a crucial structural area softens and weakens the aluminum, making re-forging necessary.

So you're looking at getting the existing powdercoating stripped, TIG welding, machining the welds smooth, drilling to five lug pattern, forging, and re-powdercoating, chroming, or whatever finish you have, times four. And no guarantees on the uniformity of hardness in the hub area - the highest stress area of the wheel. You may find a shop that will assure you they can do it and all will be fine, but will you trust them when you're on that mountain road sizing up the coming high speed sweeper with the 50 foot drop just to the left? If so, brave man, you. Me? Wimp. I'll buy a wheel that I can believe in.

-Mike S.