How important is SVT certificate, and owners, do u have one?

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Fox9350

How important is SVT certificate, and owners, do u have one?

Post by Fox9350 »

Hello guys,

I have a longtime goal of someday owning a 93 cobra. I used to own a 93 GT that was so much fun and such a nice looking car. I regret to this day selling it. So I am on a 10 year plan (within 10 hopefully) of acquiring a cobra....Who knows how much rarer and more expensive they'll be by then.....but anyway I was reading an undated article on collectible mustangs about the 93 cobra and the author said something near the end to the effect of: "only consider buying one with a SVT certificate, paperwork is crucial."

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the certificate, how important is it, do you have one or did you get one when you bought your cobra second or third hand?

Also, it appears Ford will readily sell you one with the VIN printed on it, doesn't look like there is any real certification going on, just them saying "XYZ" VIN is indeed a 93 cobra....If you lose a certificate or buy a car without one, can't you just order this?

http://www.fordshowparts.com/store_cont ... ct_id=6913

Thoughts?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: How important is SVT certificate, and owners, do u have

Post by Z282SLO »

IMO this certificate is only real important for low-mile, 100% factory original cars, wrappers, etc. and that advice from the article was likely referring to these types of cars. Cars like this are always worth more with all the original documentation. For the '93 Cobra, this means the original SVT certificate that had Ford Motor Company on top and the signatures of Plant and Coletti on them.

For all others, SVT certs are great to have, but are not enhancing the value of the cars very much. The prior owner of my Cobra had the cert framed, and I display it with my Cobra at car shows. It makes a nice conversation piece as not many cars have them. However, that was just a nice bonus. I would absolutely have bought the car without it.

And you're right about being able to purchase one from Ford. However, the new ones are signed by Edsel Ford and the design is not the same as the original certs.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

The previous owner of mine didn't have any documents, but I'll eventually get them
BLK on Leather
Fox9350

Post by Fox9350 »

vinchez if you click that link you can order that certificate from Ford for $40.

That sounds reasonable, if its a "wrapper" car or a super low mile or R edition I agree original paperwork would probably be a must or would impact value. But for someone like myself who may or may not be lucky enough to find the right one later on down the line, I'd be happy to get any Cobra, no matter the mileage as long as the condition was good. So if they had a certificate great, but if not, not a deal breaker. I'd be priced out of the highest value examples.
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

The owners manual is fairly important.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
oldernu

Post by oldernu »

Just my noobie feeling about modern paper!! Useless and way over priced.. The cert is $40 and shipping is $10 so if a 2014 piece of paper gives you a warm fuzzie then go for it.. Think Ill spend my $50 for a new blaster coil.. Vin is all I care about Oldernu
2nd owner 40 Chevy - myself and two sons came home from hospital in this car, One grandson and one grand-daughter have ridden in car.
1st owner 72 Cougar XR7 - first new car for wife and I
1st owner 1994 Bronco XLT - cant part with the gas hog for some reason
93 Teal Cobra just purchased 1-2014
Fox9350

Post by Fox9350 »

Not that you guys care about my story, but now I'm hoping my time is more like 5 years from now when current car is paid off. I know no one has a crystal ball, but best guess......Help ease my anxiety that in 5-6 years this board will still be going, there will still be clean examples (close to stock or with tasteful mods) that exist for sale for under 20k.....mileage can be high as long as the car looks like its in good shape and hasn't been beaten on and I'll be willing to travel coast to coast....(though eastern half of country would be preferable, I live in NE).....I just worry every day that these cars are getting less and less available and I'm impatient......ease a brother's mind! 8)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Won't matter cause gasoline powered cars will be banned in 5 or 6 years...
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Fox9350 wrote: I just worry every day that these cars are getting less and less available and I'm impatient......ease a brother's mind! 8)
Don't lose sleep on this one, Fox. Check out Mecum, Barrett-Jackson, etc., etc. websites. There are plenty of examples of nice 25-30 year old cars out there for reasonable prices. In another 5-6 years, there'll still be nice examples of 93 Cobras available that won't cost you a fortune.

On the other hand, why wait? Sell your current ride and get yourself an awesome '93 Cobra TODAY!! :headbang:
03 COBRA Black with VMP
Fox9350

Post by Fox9350 »

Z282SLO wrote:
Fox9350 wrote: I just worry every day that these cars are getting less and less available and I'm impatient......ease a brother's mind! 8)
Don't lose sleep on this one, Fox. Check out Mecum, Barrett-Jackson, etc., etc. websites. There are plenty of examples of nice 25-30 year old cars out there for reasonable prices. In another 5-6 years, there'll still be nice examples of 93 Cobras available that won't cost you a fortune.

On the other hand, why wait? Sell your current ride and get yourself an awesome '93 Cobra TODAY!! :headbang:

Wife and infant..... :poke:
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Fox9350 wrote: Wife and infant..... :poke:
You can fit a car seat in the back of a Cobra! ;)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

oldernu wrote: Vin is all I care about Oldernu
Aww shucks, thank you, happy valentine's day :kiss:
BLK on Leather
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

lol
Rick L

Post by Rick L »

I agree with just about everything said here but I'll put my 02 cents in. It's mostly what's important to you. I know people out there that only trailer/show their cars. They have every single piece of documentation they can get their hands on. They love they still have the original tires (they'll tell you they even have the original air in them). They arrive at a show, push the car into its spot and sit there. After the show they push it back on the trailer and go home. Now that's fine if you enjoy it. The wife and I like to enjoy our cars so we'll take one out anytime weather permits. Paperwork wasn't that important to me at all when I bought our cars. We have #2133 and the cert is signed by Scarpello/Coletti and #3146 signed by Scarpello/Hyde. I don't think they are the originals but a copy. We just keep them in the filing cabinet with the Titles. Driving them around, doing an occasional show, taking the grand kids for a ride. Now that's fun, for us. You want some papers to show and brag about or do you want to sit at a red light with that rumble sound going on and somebody looks over and smiles and gives you that thumbs up! Just my 02 cents. By the way we're selling both our Vibrant Reds if anyone is interested. We have to thin the herd out a little. PM if interested.
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

Z282SLO wrote:
Fox9350 wrote: Wife and infant..... :poke:
You can fit a car seat in the back of a Cobra! ;)
Yes, I put two in the back seats last summer (only once) as it is super tight!

And I think papers help the value of resale, for someone that wants to be a collector car. For me getting a cobra from origional owner and fully documented was a need.
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]