Clutch question on the spray

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Brookse

Clutch question on the spray

Post by Brookse »

Hey guys... quick question if I can please... my '93 is running an 88 shot and on it I've managed 440 and 520 at the crank, on a Mustang dyno.

I want to use the whole 125 shot but my guys (who are good Mustang people) said (among other things) I need a new clutch to use the 125. The clutch will be at least $1,000. Whoa.

I've heard about a lot of upgrades to run the full 125 shot, but a clutch?

Can anyone tell me why I would need this?

Thanks all.
My Cobra looks backwards. He's wondering where everyone is...
specracer

Re: Clutch question on the spray

Post by specracer »

Because the power of the engine, will exceed what your clutch can handle. Even when the pressure plate is clamping as much as it can to the disc, it will spin it. As soon as it starts to spin it will heat up and then will be toast. If they are familiar with your car and the current clutch, you should probably strongly consider their advice before turning things up.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

X2. You're getting good advice considering the power your motor is putting out.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
rufus

Post by rufus »

Z282SLO wrote:X2. You're getting good advice considering the power your motor is putting out.
Brookse, I agree with the other posters.

Another thing to consider if you upgrade the clutch, is whether a flywheel change is also desirable for your application.

When building my ERA 427 Cobra (550 hp / 550 lbs-ft / only 2600 lbs and more of a road racer than drag racer) I used a triple disc McLoed clutch with a lightweight aluminum flywheel, and loved it.

The combination of the car's light weight, robust low end torque, gearing etc. made a heavier flywheel unnecessary for a smooth start. And the well-balanced engine didn't need the extra flywheel inertia for smoothness either. The benefit of the light weight / low inertia flywheel is less power consumed accelerating the flywheel; leaving more power available to accelerate the car.

Something to consider.....
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

500hp is also the neighborhood in which the stock block likes to give up the ghost and has a tendency to split in half, right down the middle. That would suck to say the least.
Brookse

Post by Brookse »

Thanks for the input guys. $1,000 is a lot to spend on anything so I just wanted some feedback to make sure the advice is solid.

On an unrelated note, I must say how few Foxes (let alone the non-existent Cobras) I see on the road anymore. I've seen one this summer. A friend of mine asked me recently about the 1967 I had in Grade 12 in 1986. That car was a total "classic" but was just 19 years old at the time. Today, a 1993 is already 21 years old. These cars really are classics. Freaky. :)
My Cobra looks backwards. He's wondering where everyone is...
buddha

Post by buddha »

I would guess that you aren't using a progressive N2O system either........the "all at once" systems tend to hit a bit harder.

I have a friend that makes similar power on a KC clutch and has held thus far, but the crank driven blower make power in an almost liner rate as RPM's climb. Stock tires help to, as they just spin as the power comes on. :mrgreen:
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Brookse wrote:Thanks for the input guys. $1,000 is a lot to spend on anything so I just wanted some feedback to make sure the advice is solid.

On an unrelated note, I must say how few Foxes (let alone the non-existent Cobras) I see on the road anymore. I've seen one this summer. A friend of mine asked me recently about the 1967 I had in Grade 12 in 1986. That car was a total "classic" but was just 19 years old at the time. Today, a 1993 is already 21 years old. These cars really are classics. Freaky. :)
Very true. I always point out a Fox body to the family when I see one. The few I see are normally ratted-out 6's. Today, I was surprised to catch a quick glance at a black 93 Cobra as it went by. I noticed the driver's side snake looked forward, so I'm not sure if it was a clone or real. Didn't get a good look. I was in the Shelby and the driver flashed a wave.
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.