93 Cobra Coyote Swap Build Thread

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

red95gts

Post by red95gts »

Speechless. That is a serious pile of parts you have there!

I used to live in Kingwood up until about a year ago....

Best of luck with the project!
-Darrell

2003 BMW M3 Coupe
93 Cobra #199 - SOLD
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Specs on the engine:

Fits 2011-2012 Mustang GT
5.0L (302 cubic inches)
9.5:1 low compression ratio (nominal) -- Great for forced induction
Mahle Hard Anodized Forged Pistons with Graphal low friction coating
Manley H-beam Connecting Rods with ARP 2000 Bolts
Forged Steel Crank
Internally Balanced
Boss 302 valve springs, part no: M-6513-M50BR, provides higher seat open pressure for supercharged applications
Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
Piston-cooling jets, optimized oil drainback and windage control improve high-rpm performance
Large sump oil pan with 8qt capacity
Tuned composite intake manifold provides efficient air delivery and weight savings
80 mm single bore "drive by wire" throttlebody
Four-valve-per-cylinder aluminum heads with roller-finger followers reduce friction
Includes manual transmission engine harness (not vehicle harness or PCM)
FLYWHEEL NOT INCLUDED
Includes machined front cover for Ford Racing Supercharger FEAD system
Features colder, heat range 0 spark plugs for supercharging, part no: M-12405-M50
Includes Ford Racing oil filter, part no: CM-6731-FL820
Use our NEW wiring, PCM and installation kit M-6017-A504V designed for street rod/project car installation.
Does not include alternator, for alternator kit see M-8600-M50ALT
Remote Mount Filter Adapter M-6881-M50 available for applications requiring oil filter relocation
Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
NOTE: Due to 9.5:1 compression ratio, custom tuning is required for optimum performance
Shown with optional 5.0L Mustang engine cover kit, Part No: M-9680-M50
NoSloCoupe wrote:Dang, not bad for about $18,000 in parts!!! It'll be on serious piece when done. :shock:

I debated the coyote swap in my 91 coupe, wasn't worth it pricewise to me all said and done considering what a pushrod can be built for....the cool factor is def worth it tho. What rods in the aluminator?

I'm debating either a built manual valve body 4R70 for my turbo R block 363 setup next year.....or an Astro built T56. Tough choice, let us know how you like all that power with a stick.
As for it not being bad for 18K, if that is all I had in it so far I would be ecstatic. Unfortunately with everything so far it is north of that number already. It isn't about doing it for the best dollar for me on this project. I grew up with Fox Body mustangs and this will be my ultimate for many reasons.

I've had multiple high horsepower cars with a stick and love them. It is not a drag car so it will work out great. To get the most out of it on the 1/4 mile I would agree with the Automatic route.

I have done a modular conversion before with a tremec TKO, crappy transmission but still liked it being manual. It was about 600 rwhp. One of the very first modular fox builds EVER. I am really looking forward to the T56. Wish I had a TR6060 but the conversion was easier to do the the Magnum T56.
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Cool!!
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold
93 Cobra Black #3503 Sold

Looking for one again!
93_SVT_FREAK

Post by 93_SVT_FREAK »

Very nice!
93 Cobra #66 BLACK ON BLACK -Sold-
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

Oh wow! I wish i could see this thing in person!
Are you going to be selling all the stock parts that you take off?
-Brian

On the hunt again...
Looking for a very nice all stock driver Red with NO Sunroof car!!!
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Regarding the integrity of the widened aftermarket wheels - have seen a few sets done and they looked excellent to me. Have also seen factory rims widened as well...

Awesome project.

Need a one-off custom window sticker when it's all said and done? :D
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
cityboy21

Post by cityboy21 »

That's going to be a sweet car. I've been waiting for someone to do this. Keep us posted.
1993 Cobra- Teal w/gray cloth #1113(SOLD)
67000 miles
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Man what a cool project. Welcome to the site.
Prefect combo to do this to, blk/blk 8)
redsvt

Post by redsvt »

F8L SNK wrote:Specs on the engine:

Fits 2011-2012 Mustang GT
5.0L (302 cubic inches)
9.5:1 low compression ratio (nominal) -- Great for forced induction
Mahle Hard Anodized Forged Pistons with Graphal low friction coating
Manley H-beam Connecting Rods with ARP 2000 Bolts
Forged Steel Crank
Internally Balanced
Boss 302 valve springs, part no: M-6513-M50BR, provides higher seat open pressure for supercharged applications
Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
Piston-cooling jets, optimized oil drainback and windage control improve high-rpm performance
Large sump oil pan with 8qt capacity
Tuned composite intake manifold provides efficient air delivery and weight savings
80 mm single bore "drive by wire" throttlebody
Four-valve-per-cylinder aluminum heads with roller-finger followers reduce friction
Includes manual transmission engine harness (not vehicle harness or PCM)
FLYWHEEL NOT INCLUDED
Includes machined front cover for Ford Racing Supercharger FEAD system
Features colder, heat range 0 spark plugs for supercharging, part no: M-12405-M50
Includes Ford Racing oil filter, part no: CM-6731-FL820
Use our NEW wiring, PCM and installation kit M-6017-A504V designed for street rod/project car installation.
Does not include alternator, for alternator kit see M-8600-M50ALT
Remote Mount Filter Adapter M-6881-M50 available for applications requiring oil filter relocation
Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
NOTE: Due to 9.5:1 compression ratio, custom tuning is required for optimum performance
Shown with optional 5.0L Mustang engine cover kit, Part No: M-9680-M50
NoSloCoupe wrote:Dang, not bad for about $18,000 in parts!!! It'll be on serious piece when done. :shock:

I debated the coyote swap in my 91 coupe, wasn't worth it pricewise to me all said and done considering what a pushrod can be built for....the cool factor is def worth it tho. What rods in the aluminator?

I'm debating either a built manual valve body 4R70 for my turbo R block 363 setup next year.....or an Astro built T56. Tough choice, let us know how you like all that power with a stick.
As for it not being bad for 18K, if that is all I had in it so far I would be ecstatic. Unfortunately with everything so far it is north of that number already. It isn't about doing it for the best dollar for me on this project. I grew up with Fox Body mustangs and this will be my ultimate for many reasons.

I've had multiple high horsepower cars with a stick and love them. It is not a drag car so it will work out great. To get the most out of it on the 1/4 mile I would agree with the Automatic route.

I have done a modular conversion before with a tremec TKO, crappy transmission but still liked it being manual. It was about 600 rwhp. One of the very first modular fox builds EVER. I am really looking forward to the T56. Wish I had a TR6060 but the conversion was easier to do the the Magnum T56.

is this Tim Palmer
Blaine
2003 Lightning
1991 Coupe(pearl)
1993 Cobra(Fire crotch)
1991 hatch GT(menace to society)
1989 Saleen SSC(wachootoo-white devil)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Blaine, I've decided to finally own a 93 cobra. Was going to call you and talk to you about wheels. Just had not got around to it yet. Wanted to find out the sizes and backspacing on your CCWs.

Small world Isn't it :)
blacksvt

Post by blacksvt »

that car is going to be SICK!
#734 Novi 2k 331
redsvt

Post by redsvt »

F8L SNK wrote:Blaine, I've decided to finally own a 93 cobra. Was going to call you and talk to you about wheels. Just had not got around to it yet. Wanted to find out the sizes and backspacing on your CCWs.

with a name like f8l snk i only knew one, in the houston area, and an epic build like this...... awesome.... could only be one guy. yeah just hit me up you still have my number and ill give you the specs on my old wheels....

When ever your ready to start the process let me know and ill help out. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my coupe i bought from oregon.... nice little gem but needs more guts. it only went a 14.3 in its all stock 80K mile form.
Blaine
2003 Lightning
1991 Coupe(pearl)
1993 Cobra(Fire crotch)
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Yeah, I've had F8L SNK since 98 :)

14.3 isn't bad for a stock coupe. I am thinking of putting an 85 coupe I have together with the running gear out of the 93. Haven't decided what to do for sure yet.

I'll let you know before I start and see if your available. I am going to "tinker" and bolt the trans up, header and starter out of the car and then put the assembly in from the bottom. Should make it easier to work on. Never done a Fox this way but I don't see why it wouldn't be easier. Probably going to make a cheap engine dolly so it will hold the assembly when I align the K Member.
redsvt wrote:
F8L SNK wrote:Blaine, I've decided to finally own a 93 cobra. Was going to call you and talk to you about wheels. Just had not got around to it yet. Wanted to find out the sizes and backspacing on your CCWs.

with a name like f8l snk i only knew one, in the houston area, and an epic build like this...... awesome.... could only be one guy. yeah just hit me up you still have my number and ill give you the specs on my old wheels....

When ever your ready to start the process let me know and ill help out. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my coupe i bought from oregon.... nice little gem but needs more guts. it only went a 14.3 in its all stock 80K mile form.
redsvt

Post by redsvt »

F8L SNK wrote:Yeah, I've had F8L SNK since 98 :)

14.3 isn't bad for a stock coupe. I am thinking of putting an 85 coupe I have together with the running gear out of the 93. Haven't decided what to do for sure yet.

I'll let you know before I start and see if your available. I am going to "tinker" and bolt the trans up, header and starter out of the car and then put the assembly in from the bottom. Should make it easier to work on. Never done a Fox this way but I don't see why it wouldn't be easier. Probably going to make a cheap engine dolly so it will hold the assembly when I align the K Member.
redsvt wrote:

actually tim all of what your saying will work perfect. the only draw back i can see in getting the assembly up in there, is the brake booster assembly. now being 93 cobra i think the booster is somehwat smaller but still not enough to clear the head atleast on a 4.6 4V motor. I have had to either swap to a hydroboost setup or even manual brakes. both of which works fine just have to decide before that process starts or you will be cussing the car..... :lol:
Blaine
2003 Lightning
1991 Coupe(pearl)
1993 Cobra(Fire crotch)
redsvt

Post by redsvt »

one more thing im thinking about putting some forgelines on my 93 cobra the ones tony "nineball" just put on his viper look tits.... and its got me thinking. 19" are a little to big for fox bodies but a set of 18" could be just right with the correct offset and tire.
Blaine
2003 Lightning
1991 Coupe(pearl)
1993 Cobra(Fire crotch)