93 Cobra Coyote Swap Build Thread

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

F8L SNK

93 Cobra Coyote Swap Build Thread

Post by F8L SNK »

Well, I figured I would Register as I have finally purchased a 93 Cobra. I have found a 1993 Cobra Black on Black that was in great shape but not 100% original. Funny thing is, it has been listed on here for sale twice. Albeit in the For Sale but not in Registry thread.

The car has obviously been re-cleared and has a new reproduction fender and front bumper on it. It shows no anything on Carfax but the fender is obvious as is the aftermarket sticker on the inside of the bumper cover. The radiator core support and the hood appear original (VIN Tag in tact and matching on the hood) no signs of welding to replace inner structures.

The suspension has a few modifications to it as well, steeda upper and lower rear control arms, MM panhard bar, Tokico shocks at all four corners, all new bushings, 3.73's and MM sub frame connectors and strut tower brace.

All things considered it was the right car to make my conversion happen. I have purchased a Coyote Aluminator from Ford. It is the 9.5:1 compression built motor as I have also purchased the 2.3 Ford Racing whipple supercharger. I debated the 11:1 forged motor but decided to allow for more boost in the future.

In addition to the Coyote motor, I am placing a D&D sourced T-56 Magnum with the close ratios in it with a McLeod RST clutch and Billet Flywheel. I also choose to get the hydraulic conversion kit McLeod has for the fox body Mustang.

Of course the Motor will be capable of greater speeds than the suspension and brakes are made for so I will be changing those as well. I have already sourced the MM Kit with both front and rear coil overs, heavy duty torque arm, k member for the 4.6 swap and all associated hardware. I have yet to purchase a brake kit but plan on the Brembo 14" Grand Turismo kit in the front. I have purchased rear brackets for the 8.8 to run a 13.4 Brembo Caliper and Rotor set up.

Obviously there are much more parts that I have to buy or have bought but these are the primary components. I will be starting the swap in the next couple of weeks so I hate to say the beginning of this posts will follow a delay before updates.

A few pics of the project car:

Here are some pictures of the goods I have on hand getting ready to start.

Motor Arrives from Ford Racing Parts Direct

Opening the motor and associated hardware

Unbolted the Stock Intake and Exhaust Manifolds as they will not be used

Got the exhaust from Late Model Restoration

Suspension arrives from Maximum Motorsports

Transmission and Clutch show up from D&D

Another delivery from Ford Racing Parts Direct - 2.3 Supercharger

vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

:shock: nice!, and welcome to da party!!
F8L SNK

Some pre assembly

Post by F8L SNK »

Here is a little pre assembly work that I've done. Still at least two weeks from really beginning the project

Before I begin, a picture of the old

Installed the supercharger to the motor:

Installed the clutch (1 bolt is missing from the kit to bolt the adapter to the flywheel) McLeod is sending a new one no questions asked. Good customer service

Pre-assembled the coilovers:

St8-E

Post by St8-E »

:shock:

gonna be a mean car...those coyote engines sound awesome with a good exhaust...
Pre-Production # 15, (Teal / Leather), No Sunroof (SOLD)

Shortly looking for a Vibrant/Black cloth
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

vinchez78 wrote::shock: nice!, and welcome to da party!!
Thanks! Glad to be here. I forgot to mention. I will not be posting the build thread anywhere else until it is completed.
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

F8L SNK wrote:
vinchez78 wrote::shock: nice!, and welcome to da party!!
Thanks! Glad to be here. I forgot to mention. I will not be posting the build thread anywhere else until it is completed.
hell ya!! forget the pics, thow up a vid!!!
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

oh my god. this is gonna be pure sickness! cant wait to see the build. make sure to take many photos.
Last edited by dbrennancobra on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Nice project, I will be following this as the build goes on.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

welcome to the site! clean car, cant wait to see the progress and see it finished. Hopefully you can it stock looking maybe widen a set of the aftermarket 5 lug cobra wheels. What part of texas are you in?
RollTide93

Post by RollTide93 »

welcome, I just drove my buddies '12 coyote and what a car, can't imagine one in a fox, good luck can't wait to see and HEAR the finished product
-Brian-
93 SVT #15 (pre-production)
93 SVT #1809 SOLD

This is how we chill from 93 till.....
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

NASTY :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
drkhrse

Post by drkhrse »

sweet! Looks like you are set!
-1993 SVT Cobra R #58, open track
-1993 SVT Cobra Teal #112, street
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Thanks all,

I do want to keep a stock appearance but two things prevent that from happening. 1st, the supercharger won't fit under the stock hood. I am hoping to go with a very minimal cowl, 2" or less I hope.

2nd, brake clearance. I want the 14" brakes and I want a 10.5" wheel. Having the replacement 93 replicas widened will mess up the integrity of the wheel. I want this to be a very good riding car (within reason) and I don't think the replicas widened will fit the bill. This was my initial though however. I may also change the seats to the new recaro's but am not sure yet.

I'll add as many photos and details as possible throughout the build. Once started it won't take long (less than 2 months is the plan)

Oh, and I am from Spring (suburb of Houston), TX.
NoSloCoupe

Post by NoSloCoupe »

Dang, not bad for about $18,000 in parts!!! It'll be on serious piece when done. :shock:

I debated the coyote swap in my 91 coupe, wasn't worth it pricewise to me all said and done considering what a pushrod can be built for....the cool factor is def worth it tho. What rods in the aluminator?

I'm debating either a built manual valve body 4R70 for my turbo R block 363 setup next year.....or an Astro built T56. Tough choice, let us know how you like all that power with a stick.
drtymike

Post by drtymike »

That car is going to be sweet!