TKO Swap... finally done!

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

jstanley55

TKO Swap... finally done!

Post by jstanley55 »

Finally got around to doing my TKO swap on Sat. Went pretty smooth but I have a vibration on deceleration and at higher speeds. Symptoms sound like u-joints but installed new spicer u-joints... I think I need the drive shaft balanced. I'm also having a problem with the car not turning over about every other time I go to start it. Thinking this might be a connection to the clutch safety switch, maybe? Anyone have any thoughts?

Here's a few pics I snapped:
TKO 500
Center force dual friction and 31 spline yoke
Stifflers cross member
Billet flywheel
New Bell
MGW (love this shifter)
Wishing I had a two post lift...
Old hunk of grinding and popping junk
Pretty clean for 106k
Broken pilot bearing puller. That sucker was in there.
All done!
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

Stan looks good nice shop, I am currently exploring some tranny options for my coupe. Curious if you know the difference bewtween wide ratio and close ration transmission, I know close will be tight but why would you want wide?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/pro ... nsmissions
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

JohnLynch wrote:Stan looks good nice shop, I am currently exploring some tranny options for my coupe. Curious if you know the difference bewtween wide ratio and close ration transmission, I know close will be tight but why would you want wide?

I'm no tranny expert but from what I understand for street driving wide is actually better. Easier 1st gear for city driving. Also depends on how your car is geared. if youre running 3:73's and a wide ratio you could be in second before you cross an intersection. The only real difference if you look is first gear. 3.27 vs 2.89 then second is 1.98 vs 1.90 and the other three are identical.
Close is good for road racing as there is less drop in rpms between shift.
Last edited by jstanley55 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Nice!
Really like that crossmember!!!
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

BrettT 93|03 wrote:Nice!
Really like that crossmember!!!
Yeah, quality is killer. Plus it came with the proper shims and spacers for the conversion so I didn't need to deal with that part of it. Small issue with spedo cable clearance however.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
Kevins89notch5.0

Post by Kevins89notch5.0 »

JohnLynch wrote:Stan looks good nice shop, I am currently exploring some tranny options for my coupe. Curious if you know the difference bewtween wide ratio and close ration transmission, I know close will be tight but why would you want wide?

Whenever I break the t5z I'm about to put in my 89, the next transmission I'll be installing will be an astro performance A5: http://www.astroperformance.com/product ... cts_id/751

Not to bash tremec in any way, but it seems for every one happy customer there are 2 other who can't hit 3rd gear, find it super clunky, have problem shifting at high RPMs, etc.

Try complaining to tremec, and you'll get no where. With Astro, they happen to be local, so I'll have them install it, and test drive it. If I ever have a problem, I'll take it to them. Tony, the owner, is one great day, and I fully trust he would do his best to take care of someone who had a slight problem with something he sold. However, I don't think it would ever come to that. Numerous people have the A5, and have beaten the crap out of it, and it keeps taking it.
** 89 LX 5.0 ** Currently in hibernation
F8L SNK

Post by F8L SNK »

Wow you sound like a paid spokesman :)

Clearly you believe that is the direction to go :)
Kevins89notch5.0 wrote:

Whenever I break the t5z I'm about to put in my 89, the next transmission I'll be installing will be an astro performance A5: http://www.astroperformance.com/product ... cts_id/751

Not to bash tremec in any way, but it seems for every one happy customer there are 2 other who can't hit 3rd gear, find it super clunky, have problem shifting at high RPMs, etc.

Try complaining to tremec, and you'll get no where. With Astro, they happen to be local, so I'll have them install it, and test drive it. If I ever have a problem, I'll take it to them. Tony, the owner, is one great day, and I fully trust he would do his best to take care of someone who had a slight problem with something he sold. However, I don't think it would ever come to that. Numerous people have the A5, and have beaten the crap out of it, and it keeps taking it.
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Kevins89notch5.0 wrote:

Yeah I've heard that too but I've never had an issue with 3rd at all with TKO... I figure that I'm just a better driver than most :)

But if I didn't have this set up already I did run across a t56 complete fox set up (never run) for 3g's and I would have done that. 6sp Cobra would be fun to drive!
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
93 Venom

Post by 93 Venom »

I love my 6-speed in my Cobra, and yes it a blast to drive too. :D
93 cobra #4464 Red / Gray Cloth / Sunroof
2011 GT500 Race Red/ silver strips/ Glassroof
69 vert Mustang Candy apple red / white Top
82 GT T-Tops (SOLD)
91 5.0 LX (SOLD)
04 Mach 1 Screaming Yellow (SOLD)
Kevins89notch5.0

Post by Kevins89notch5.0 »

F8L SNK wrote:Wow you sound like a paid spokesman :)

Well I'm no stranger to forums, and over the years I've heard people complain about their tremec's non-stop, as well as personal friends have issues as well. I had a tremec 500 for a short time, and found it very notchy, and problematic as well. My setup is a H/C/I/vortech that makes about 450rwhp. When I bought my prior 93 cobra, that killed my savings, so I sold off my tremec setup to free up some money. Every since, I've had my stock t5 and an autozone clutch in. I picked up a free t5z with a blown 3rd gear. I replaced that, and have about $400 into this trans now. I needed some shims to get the t5z back together, so I took Tony the trans, and asked if he could measure it real quick, and sell me the shims I needed. He said no problem, and proceeded to show me around the shop, and show me what sort of work they do there. 10 minutes later a mechanic says he's all done. Not only did he measure to see what shims I needed, but he installed them along with the bearing retainer, and sealed it up and torqued it to specs. I asked Tony how much. He shrugged, looked at the mechanic, and then me. He told me to give the mechanic $20 so he could get some dinner on the way home. That's the type of business man I want to deal with when it comes to a $2,500 transmission, not a faceless company that's far away, and seems to not care that numerous people have problems with their product. I'm not saying the A5 is for everyone, but I'm sold on it.
** 89 LX 5.0 ** Currently in hibernation
Mystic1199

Post by Mystic1199 »

what driveshaft did you install ? i hope after all that work you at least went with an aluminum motorsport one
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Kevins89notch5.0 wrote:
F8L SNK wrote:Wow you sound like a paid spokesman :)

Well I'm no stranger to forums, and over the years I've heard people complain about their tremec's non-stop, as well as personal friends have issues as well. I had a tremec 500 for a short time, and found it very notchy, and problematic as well. My setup is a H/C/I/vortech that makes about 450rwhp. When I bought my prior 93 cobra, that killed my savings, so I sold off my tremec setup to free up some money. Every since, I've had my stock t5 and an autozone clutch in. I picked up a free t5z with a blown 3rd gear. I replaced that, and have about $400 into this trans now. I needed some shims to get the t5z back together, so I took Tony the trans, and asked if he could measure it real quick, and sell me the shims I needed. He said no problem, and proceeded to show me around the shop, and show me what sort of work they do there. 10 minutes later a mechanic says he's all done. Not only did he measure to see what shims I needed, but he installed them along with the bearing retainer, and sealed it up and torqued it to specs. I asked Tony how much. He shrugged, looked at the mechanic, and then me. He told me to give the mechanic $20 so he could get some dinner on the way home. That's the type of business man I want to deal with when it comes to a $2,500 transmission, not a faceless company that's far away, and seems to not care that numerous people have problems with their product. I'm not saying the A5 is for everyone, but I'm sold on it.
That is an awesome testimonial.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Mystic1199 wrote:what driveshaft did you install ? i hope after all that work you at least went with an aluminum motorsport one
Stock for now. With the Griggs gt-40 suspension I can't fit a 3.5" in it so unless you know someone making a 3" aluminum I will need to get one made and prob going to run $500 or so. Soon, just not quite yet...
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

So I have some issues... Throwout bearing (or input shaft bearing) started making the typical chirping noise already but to boot when the trans is sitting in neutral I'm getting a kind of "clack clack clack" noise that wasn't there before. Not sure if it could be pilot bearing or what. Anyone have any bright ideas?
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
buddha

Post by buddha »

jstanley55 wrote:So I have some issues... Throwout bearing (or input shaft bearing) started making the typical chirping noise already but to boot when the trans is sitting in neutral I'm getting a kind of "clack clack clack" noise that wasn't there before. Not sure if it could be pilot bearing or what. Anyone have any bright ideas?
I'd be looking at the TOB. What kind did you install when it went back together?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP