Where to buy stock replacement parts?

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

KY Cobra

Where to buy stock replacement parts?

Post by KY Cobra »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a couple questions. I own an unmolested teal/grey cloth/sunroof cobra with 21K miles. It is 100% stock/original, and I want to keep it that way! I am looking to replace the headers, shocks, bushings, possibly the radiator and several other items because of age. What sources do you recommend for keeping the car as original as possible? I have looked at some of the links under "parts for you 1993 Cobra", but most seem to be repro parts - is there still a source for OEM/original spec parts? If not, what/where do you recommend in order to keep the car as true to original as possible?

Also, is there an online source for a parts manual and maintenance/assembly manual? I have a generic Mustang maintenance manual, but there is no parts manual and the detail is not great.

Thanks in advance!
93 Teal & grey cloth, sunroof #2062
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Welcome to the sight KY jelly :D
BLK on Leather
WillyB93

Re: Where to buy stock replacement parts?

Post by WillyB93 »

KY Cobra wrote:Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a couple questions. I own an unmolested teal/grey cloth/sunroof cobra with 21K miles. It is 100% stock/original, and I want to keep it that way! I am looking to replace the headers, shocks, bushings, possibly the radiator and several other items because of age. What sources do you recommend for keeping the car as original as possible? I have looked at some of the links under "parts for you 1993 Cobra", but most seem to be repro parts - is there still a source for OEM/original spec parts? If not, what/where do you recommend in order to keep the car as true to original as possible?

Also, is there an online source for a parts manual and maintenance/assembly manual? I have a generic Mustang maintenance manual, but there is no parts manual and the detail is not great.

Welcome, Just take the headers off and have them sandblasted and re-painted, the other stuff is there really and issue with them or are you that OCD? If it isn't broke don't fix it! IMO

Thanks in advance!
Welcome, Just take the headers off and have them sandblasted and re-painted, the other stuff is there really an issue with them or are you that OCD? If it isn't broke don't fix it!
Last edited by WillyB93 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
RollTide93

Post by RollTide93 »

vinchez78 wrote:Welcome to the sight KY jelly :D
You're on point Vin.!
-Brian-
93 SVT #15 (pre-production)
93 SVT #1809 SOLD

This is how we chill from 93 till.....
scootro

Post by scootro »

vinchez78 wrote:Welcome to the sight KY jelly :D
thats a slick nickname!
Keepin' The Old School Alive
KY Cobra

Post by KY Cobra »

Not OCD!!! :D - just replacing parts that are suspect. The shocks and bushings definitely need replacing. The radiator has a very small leak, but I won't know if it is repairable until I remove it to get a closer look. I just want to have a source lined-up, so I am not sidelined too long. Same with the headers. There is the slightest "tick, tick, tick", and the headers look suspect. obviously I won't replace them until I confirm that is the culprit (could just be a gasket). Some of the other stuff is just "icing" (OK, OCD :lol: ) details mainly in the engine compartment - hoses, clips, weatherstripping, etc. My concern is getting oem quality parts - Not poor fitting knock-offs! Where do you recommend?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Where to buy stock replacement parts?

Post by Z282SLO »

KY Cobra wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of info here, many cool pics, and some laughs (especially when Vin is on his game).

For the work you plan on doing, I highly recommend a '93 Ford Service Manual. A good source for this type of publication -

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

With that few miles, I would be shocked if the headers are bad. Possibly just loose or gasket is shot. Also, be sure that you aren't hearing the roller rockers - they are a bit noisy.

For the rad, you might want to take it to a shop and get it checked over. It can be repaired there, if needed.

Shocks - A lot of people spec Tokico as replacements for similar ride. Paint them black like the stockers and you'll be all good.

Bushings, pretty much any replacement will work.

You will be hard pressed to find NOS (new old stock) on the trim items, but the repros are generally pretty good.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
93#2837

Post by 93#2837 »

Google PPI mustang parts. They have a lot of factory parts.
tunedin302

Post by tunedin302 »

93#2837 wrote:Google PPI mustang parts. They have a lot of factory parts.
Agreed - JD has helped me out a lot.
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

You sure you don't have 121k miles? That is odd that your shocks are bad with low miles and headers
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

JohnLynch wrote:You sure you don't have 121k miles? That is odd that your shocks are bad with low miles and headers
X2
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
KY Cobra

Post by KY Cobra »

YEP, 100% sure!!! Everything has been well documented. Plus, the car is WAY too clean and original to have survived 121K that way. The exhaust may be a gasket - Honestly, I haven't even done anything about it because the sound is very faint. Part of the shock issue may be the bushings. They are hard and dry rotted and need replacing. I'll have to see. For now, the Cobra is going in storage until Spring. Hopefully my garage and lift will be built by then:-)
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I'm Sure the exhaust is Just a gasket, you can have them media blasted, however they did not come Coated, so I would not paint them, once they are blasted I am sure it will stay in the garage, so no need to coat them.

As for Struts, I have seen, and had a few low mile cars with the struts lock up in the front. I recommend using 03/04 Mach 1 Struts, you can currently get them from Ford. They are as close as you are going to get to OEM.

As for anything else OEM, it's supply and demand, demand is great for OEM 93 Cobra parts, but the supply has dried up! Either use FORD Tooling parts only, or search e-bay for NOS parts is as best you can do. Good luck in your search.
k98dave

Post by k98dave »

I would get the car up on a lift while running and check the exhaust. I had some ticking that turned out to be cat heat shield.
Also ditto on the roller rockers which are noisy.

As for the look of the headers they were never coated from the factory and develop a light surface rust like coating. It doesn't look great but that's the correct look if you into 100% original.

I looked for oem shocks & struts for a year with no luck so I went with a Ford set from a 2001 Bullitt (also made by Tokico) that work fine

If you need a radiator the only place that has the OEM brass one is NPD but its expensive ($350)
NPD has some of the hard to find 93 Cobra parts like rear brake lines but with a low mile car I doubt you would need them but who knows how long they will be available. I got them just have a set as a spare

I just ordered a set of their rear brake flex lines for my 84 SVO, If you think NOS Cobra parts are hard to get try the SVO's!
K98Dave
88 LX hatch -(SOLD
1984 SVO number 110 (SOLD)
93 Cobra Blk# 2100 Still a Virgin- No Mods
95 Lightning (SOLD)
86 LX Restoration in work)
2013 F150 Reg cab Short Bed 5.0