Got Gas?

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

rufus

Gas

Post by rufus »

OLLETT - I think the bottom line is that Ford recommended 87 octane for the '93 Cobra. A variety of experiences and opinions exist on what works and what doesn't in these engines. A lot of this is most likely due to production tolerances affecting how close the TDC marks are to the actual TDC for any given engine. There's probably some variation in the actual octane rating from one '87' to another....maybe someone else can speak to that.

I maintain that most '93 Cobras should do fine on 87, but if I consistantly heard spark knock, I wouldn't hesitate to change to a higher octane.

(My wife's '99 Explorer "required" 87 octane, but would not tolerate it at all, so we always used 93. Our current 2002, with the same engine/octane requirement has always been fine on 87.)

Best Regards,
Bob S.
OLLETT

Post by OLLETT »

Thanks fellas for all your input. I think you brought up a good point Bob S. about how opinions and experiences vary. As of right now I may just continue to use a level of at least 89 or higher. I guess it really doesn't matter as much because periodic maintenance and service is the key to all motor longevity

Thanks OL' Lett
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

Ollett

What part of bama are you from?

I am in the Anniston area
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)
OLLETT

Post by OLLETT »

I'm in Dallas county.