Front brake rotor options...

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

phorty

Front brake rotor options...

Post by phorty »

I need some new front rotors for my Cobra. I am considering using regular fox mustang rotors so I can use my 17' Saleen wheels that I had on my 89 GT. What are my options when I want to put the stock Cobra wheels back on without going back to Cobra rotors? Are there spacers available that I could put on top of the rotor to make up the 3/4" difference? I took this info below from the 93 Cobra Info page:

"The front brakes were near identical to the regular 5.0L except for the front rotors which carried part number F3ZZ-1102-A. The rotor "hat" or the area where the wheel sat on the hub was 3/4" thicker if laid side by side to a regular 5.0 rotor. The wheels had a different offset because of the wider rear differential so this is how Ford solved the problem. I personally think just manufacturing axle brake brackets would have been cheaper especially since they were already being produced by Ford Motorsports but I'm not a bean counter for Ford. Not to mention rear wheel disc brake conversions for regular Mustangs would have been super easy."

Also, any opinions on good rotors to use that will go with the stock calipers and some hawk pads? Thanks for the help.
'93 Cobra #220- Black over Gray Cloth- 4.10's, Long Tubes, 57K miles- SOLD 8/8
'06 GT- Windveil Blue over Light Graphite Leather- 5spd
'93 Notch- 144k miles
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

If thats what you want to do then do it, why not just get the Cobra rotors and keep using the OEM Cobra wheel ?
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
phorty

Post by phorty »

I'm asking about the spacer because I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. I want to be able to run the Saleen's and then throw a spacer on and run the OEM Cobra's. Is this a viable option? Has anyone used a spacer?
'93 Cobra #220- Black over Gray Cloth- 4.10's, Long Tubes, 57K miles- SOLD 8/8
'06 GT- Windveil Blue over Light Graphite Leather- 5spd
'93 Notch- 144k miles
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

You could just try it and see if it works. I dont know if it will.
Try going to svtperformance.com and post it in the wheel section and see, or the 93 Cobra section.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

You can get wheel spacers at most auto supply stores. yes they work you will just have to check and see what sizes you can get them in. I have seen the simple ones that you just put in between the rotor and wheel , usually they are like 1/4'' and 3/8''. Then I have seen some like 1'' that bolt to the wheel studs and then you bolt the wheel to them. here are some at CJ pony parts

http://mustangandfords.com/techarticles ... rd_wheels/

http://www.1010tires.com/adapters.asp