Flywheel question

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Dantak

Flywheel question

Post by Dantak »

I recently bought a King Cobra clutch and decided to get an F1 racing aluminum flywheel also. I'm very confused about flywheel balance. The flywheel comes with a 28oz weight and a 50oz weight. I've heard ppl say that they installed aftermarket flywheels with no balance, and had no problems. I've heard other ppl say that the took the flywheel and the clutch to the machine shop and had them neutral balance it. Someone please tell me exactly what I should do. Should I have the flywheel balanced, with the clutch, with the weights on or off, which weights should I put on and how do I know where to put them? And if you read this ceetwarior, do you know a good machine shop in the springs?
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

Whats up dude, only machine shops I have had work done at was Geddes Auto Machine and Performance Auto Machine.

Geddes Machine is cool but doesn't know anything about Ford FE engines!!! (not that it matters in this forum)

Performance Machine knows about FE's but doesn't like them. (lol) but they did me ok on the small stuff I had them do. That's all I know.

I take it you are doing the clutch yourself?
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
'95 SVT COBRA #3463 (current)
Dantak

Post by Dantak »

I take it you are doing the clutch yourself?
Yeah, since I have access to a lift and all the tools I could possibly need, I'm gonna do it myself.
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

LIFT, hell yeah!

I gotta do a clutch in my wifes '97 GT within the next few months.... EEEEK.

I wish I could find access to a drive-on lift. The only lifts I know of are all frame lifts. I need one so I can do my subframe connectors and exhaust this weekend.
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
'95 SVT COBRA #3463 (current)
Dantak

Post by Dantak »

anyone?
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

Iw ould say just the right parts and do the job right the first time.

Pay a little more now vs doing the entire job again later.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
forcdlx

Post by forcdlx »

You want a 50oz unless your car is a stroker. If you put anything else other than a 50 you will throw the balance in your motor.
#3693 Red/Black all stock with 32,000 on the clock
forcdlx

Post by forcdlx »

Also there are no weights on the flywheel, they balance them by making drilling into the rear of them kinda like your crankshaft. I have never heard of balancing your clutch to the flywheel. Just buy a flywheel that is already 50oz if your replaceing your stock one and when installing the clutch and flywheel make sure you use a torque wrench. Also its not a bad idea to put a dab of threadlock on the bolts to make sure they don't back out, but don't put so much on the threads that when you torque them it runs down on to the flywheel surface.
#3693 Red/Black all stock with 32,000 on the clock
Dantak

Post by Dantak »

I definately have a 50 oz weight. and I didn't mean where does the weight go on the flywheel, I meant where does the weight go relative to the crankshaft, but since i'm doing this tomorrow and didn't get a straight answer, I'll just wing it and hope for the best
#4524 Teal/Leather/Sunroof/Power Seat
Chrome Intake/Upper Radiator Hose
Strut Tower Brace
Long Tube Headers
Mac Exhaust
Subframe Connectors
4.11 Rearend
Aluminum Driveshaft
K&N Air Filter
Pro 5.0 Shifter
King Cobra Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
marks93cobra

Post by marks93cobra »

You'll only be able to bolt the flywheel on one way....i.e., if you look at the bolt pattern on the flywheel, you'll notice that the bolt holes are not all evenly spaced..the crank will have the same 'pattern'.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Use the 50oz weight, it should only bolt to the flywheel one way. Most stroker kits convert the 50oz 5.0 to a 28.2oz design, like the earlier 289/302 and 351W engines had. If your short block is still stock, do the proper 50oz weight or it will vibrate like crazy at certain RPMs. As Marks93cobra said, the flywheel can only bolt to the crank one way, if you look at the six bolts that hold it on, one is moved a little closer to another so it is keyed. It should all be pretty straightforward.

Don't know if you'll like that aluminum flywheel or not, they take some definite getting used to and clutch take-up in first gear can be quite abrupt, especially with a heavy clutch like a King Cobra. Just be aware of your footwork.

-Mike S.