Help o Cobra R

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

harley56

Re: Help o Cobra R

Post by harley56 »

Yes, as once it has 7500 miles on it California no longer considers it new and used vehicles, California compliant, or not, can be brought into the state. However, a used car will need to meet the emissions requirements of the market it was built for, in this case it would be Federal emission standards.
'93 Cobra Red #1599
'96 Viper GTS
'68 AMX
'07 Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang
'97 Viper GTS
'13 Boss 302 LS - Blk
'13 Viper GTS
wazana9050

Post by wazana9050 »

That is awesome info - thank you
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

I know living in CA is probably awesome and such, but holy crap they have a lot of insanity when it comes to just about anything in that state. The gun laws alone would keep me from living there.

LOL
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
lukewood2

Post by lukewood2 »

93Cobra#2771 wrote:I know living in CA is probably awesome and such, but holy crap they have a lot of insanity when it comes to just about anything in that state. The gun laws alone would keep me from living there.

LOL
Besides the weather this place sucks haha
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

What is the actual difference between CA emissions and federal? I've never heard of specifically different equipment; cats, plumbing, computer, etc.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

California's emissions standards are stricter than the federal EPA requirements for hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions -- which become smog -- from vehicles. The CA standards have changed over the years and the ways that each manufacturer meets the stricter standards varies. Certain cars have different engine components (e.g. intake manifolds or fuel injectors), others have different engine control programming, others simply have EGR added to "clean up" the exhaust.

I am not sure what Ford specifically did in '93 to meet CA emissions for the 302 V8 used in the Mustang.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Z282SLO wrote:^^^

California's emissions standards are stricter than the federal EPA requirements for hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions -- which become smog -- from vehicles. The CA standards have changed over the years and the ways that each manufacturer meets the stricter standards varies. Certain cars have different engine components (e.g. intake manifolds or fuel injectors), others have different engine control programming, others simply have EGR added to "clean up" the exhaust.

I am not sure what Ford specifically did in '93 to meet CA emissions for the 302 V8 used in the Mustang.
From the research I've done, nothing. Nothing unique in the EEC. Nothing unique in motor or exhaust. For all intents and purposes, the "CA emissions" cars were the same as any other 49 state car.

In fact, I'm not sure I've seen a window sticker for a 93 with "CA emissions" on it. I'll have to check my collection and see. Same for the "high altitude principal use" cars. Nothing different on them either. At least on 93 and up cars.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

93Cobra#2771 wrote: From the research I've done, nothing. Nothing unique in the EEC. Nothing unique in motor or exhaust. For all intents and purposes, the "CA emissions" cars were the same as any other 49 state car.
Parts lists for EGR valves, vacuum regulators, oxygen sensor assemblies, etc. for '93 Mustangs show specs indicating "excl CA" or similar language for these parts. This leads me to believe there was a difference in the EGR systems of "49-state" Mustangs and "CA" Mustangs. Also, if there was a difference in the emissions of the '93 Mustangs originally sold in CA as opposed to the rest of the U.S., the underhood emissions labels will show it.

Can anyone on this site with a Cobra originally sold in CA post a close-up picture of their emissions label (the label on the coil cover), and can anyone else with a Cobra originally sold elsewhere do the same?
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Z282SLO wrote:
93Cobra#2771 wrote: From the research I've done, nothing. Nothing unique in the EEC. Nothing unique in motor or exhaust. For all intents and purposes, the "CA emissions" cars were the same as any other 49 state car.
Parts lists for EGR valves, vacuum regulators, oxygen sensor assemblies, etc. for '93 Mustangs show specs indicating "excl CA" or similar language for these parts. This leads me to believe there was a difference in the EGR systems of "49-state" Mustangs and "CA" Mustangs. Also, if there was a difference in the emissions of the '93 Mustangs originally sold in CA as opposed to the rest of the U.S., the underhood emissions labels will show it.

Can anyone on this site with a Cobra originally sold in CA post a close-up picture of their emissions label (the label on the coil cover), and can anyone else with a Cobra originally sold elsewhere do the same?
Will be curious to see that as well. Even though parts are listed that way (I'm assuming aftermarket, not ford?) the "49 states" thing may just be a default for all cars in that era for parts manufactures to cover their hiney.

I am 99.9% sure there were no differences in EGR system and such.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

This should be interesting. Post those pics, fellas.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Hey, Brett. Earlier today, you included the following in your post in the 'For Sale' thread -
BrettT wrote:Vin# 1facp42d1pf177685
Build# 3993
Born 6/3
CA Emission option
Does your database provide any add'l info on the 'CA Emission option' ?
03 COBRA Black with VMP