Factory color of cobra block? Black, gray?

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

weggman

Factory color of cobra block? Black, gray?

Post by weggman »

Hi all,
I'm in the process of restoring a teal 93 for the new owner. I'm assembling the motor currently
And since I didn't get a factory motor with this car. What is the correct color of this engine supposed to be? I know they had black valve covers is that correct for the heads and block. Where could I find this info? Great site thanks in advance for the help!
Just an old Navy guy with a bad mustang habit.
1969 mach M code Black jade
1969 vert M code Indian Fire
1969 Boss clone
1970 Boss clone
2 1993 cobras
1966 a code(wife's car)
1965 c code GT clone(also wife's car)
7.3 Excursion-tow rig
2008 Roush 427R stage 3 (RIP)
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Factory color of cobra block? Black, gray?

Post by Z282SLO »

The Cobra engine has black, stamped-steel valve covers over a cast-iron block and cylinder heads which are not painted or colored in any way.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

block and heads are rust colored
weggman

Post by weggman »

So the whole engine was left unpainted except for the black valve covers? Does anyone know why?
Just an old Navy guy with a bad mustang habit.
1969 mach M code Black jade
1969 vert M code Indian Fire
1969 Boss clone
1970 Boss clone
2 1993 cobras
1966 a code(wife's car)
1965 c code GT clone(also wife's car)
7.3 Excursion-tow rig
2008 Roush 427R stage 3 (RIP)
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

I'm guessing cost. We're talking Mustangs here, not Ferraris. ;)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Oil pan is black also.
tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

So this leads me to a question.

I'm "restoring" my engine compartment. As the block was unpainted and now has a rust "patina" would it be more correct to leave it rusted, as I'm sure they all did so after a few humid days, or paint with one of the "cast iron look" paints that would imitate the original appearance.

I'm not liking the idea of going through the effort to restore everything else and leaving a rusty block.

Opinions?

rob j
1993 Cobra # 613
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

If you're going for the "restored" and authentic look, leave the block alone. Nearly all Cobras with OEM engine blocks will have the "rust" patina due to the unfinished cast iron in the engine compartment, and these cars / properly restored cars won't have painted engine blocks. One of those "cast iron look" paints on the block won't look as authentic IMO.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

I guess it kinda depends on at what point in time you're restoring to. I wonder if the engines/blocks were already rusted when they came to the assembly line? Most castings have some residual surface oils which might have protected them for a little while.

I took delivery of mine 62 days after it was built. To be honest I don't remember the condition of the block, but, my gut feeling is it had not yet started to rust, as being a life-long motor head, I think I would have noticed that.

I wonder if anyone out there has a Cobra in a bubble that has not rusted?

robj
1993 Cobra # 613
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

tricyclerob wrote:I wonder if anyone out there has a Cobra in a bubble that has not rusted?
If anyone does, it is a hollow achievement. Because the only way to do have an engine block with no rust at all would mean the car was never driven, and where's the fun in that?

tricyclerob wrote:I guess it kinda depends on at what point in time you're restoring to.
Here's an idea. Take the car down to bare metal and remove the engine completely. You won't have to worry about the correct paint, etc. and you can say it was restored to a point on the assembly line before it was completely built! ;)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

"Here's an idea. Take the car down to bare metal and remove the engine completely. You won't have to worry about the correct paint, etc. and you can say it was restored to a point on the assembly line before it was completely built! ;)[/quote]

Dang,

I never thought of that. I could get a bunch of Ford boxes and put all the parts inside!
Naa, that wouldn't work, I don't have enough shelf space.

All seriousness aside, I have a way to go before I have to decide on painting the block. I'll have to ponder that. Mine was a driver for about 8 years in the Northeast and it definitely took it's toll. It was actually my "company car".

I look at the number of Cobras out there that are from dry climates or babied from the start and mine would never be one of those. At least not without a near total disassembly and I'm not going there. Time for one thing and to be honest, the value of the car doesn't justify it, at least not at this point in time.

At the very least, I want to be able to raise the hood without "shame". And, keep everything looking as stock as possible, using as much OEM/NOS as possible.

robj

1993 Cobra # 613
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Sounds like you aren't going for a full on restoration/concours look.

How about getting the motor all nice and clean, and then simply do a flat clearcoat on top of the metal. It will seal it up, but still preserve that look.

Next thought is a medium grey, as I believe the OEM oil filters were that color as well...
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy