Quick question on Sun visors

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Kilrgt

Quick question on Sun visors

Post by Kilrgt »

Hi All.

quick question about our car, My car has lite sun visors, they dont work of course, bulbs are fine and there is power getting to them, i can only assume that the micro switch has
backed up and not making the contact, is there any one or anyway to replace these things yourself? The fabric is separating from the backing board anyways.Did all cobras come with these?

Just looking for any tips or advise

Thanks!
WillyB93

Re: Quick question on Sun visors

Post by WillyB93 »

Have you tried to tap the button in and out a few times, I have seen where they just aren't getting a good contact inside.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Kilrgt

Post by Kilrgt »

I did try that, i was screwing around with them one night for about a hour and i did get the pas side to flash once. I don think they come apart without breaking them.

Thanks for the tip tho
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I've fixed them. They are actually easy to fix, though I've never seen anyone else bother. The whole visor is held together with the stitching along the outside edge.

Cut the stitching off, then it opens like a book.

The little round black switch is held to the plastic body with two small spikes, these break off, leaving the switch floating around in there.

Glue the switch back over the spikes, then it works once again. Take the visor to an interior shop so they can use their industrial-strength sewing machine to re-stitch the visor together.
Kilrgt

Post by Kilrgt »

Mike S, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I'm going to give it a try, looks pretty strait forward. I know there is Opal grey headliner material out there, maybe ill just get them recovered
while I'm at it

Again Thanks for the reply its much appreciated
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Sounds like a plan, let us know how it turns out. When the switches are glued back in, put 12v to the wire to confirm contacts are working (before sewing them back together).

-MJS
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Great post Mike! That's the kind of tech I like seeing on this board. :-)
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
Kilrgt

Post by Kilrgt »

Well just wanted to update the thread, I did end up splitting the sun visors, the switch is still intact and doesn't look like its separated from the mounting location, I did test for power and
have 12 Volts ( obviously changed and tested new bulbs before cutting the stitching) , I'm thinking the actual switch is no longer working, I'm in this far in it now so im going to see if I can get them to work. If I do Ill update

Thanks for the advise so far tho

It is possible that I purchased the wrongs bulbs but I highly doubt that,