Aftermarket radio install/harness question

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

5p0intslow

Aftermarket radio install/harness question

Post by 5p0intslow »

To start off, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I have searched over and over and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

When I purchased my cobra it did not come with a radio or the factory amplifier under the passenger seat. (The previous owner had an aftermarket radio that they had removed from the car) I've owned a few other fox mustangs in the past and have always kept the original radio, that being said I can tell that no wiring is cut/missing on my car. I would like to install a simple looking aftermarket radio without hacking any of the factory wiring. (My center console was drilled for an aftermarket radio bezel so finding a factory correct radio/amp would only leave the exposed holes from the drilling and make the center console an eyesore)

Aside from the 2 radio harnesses that I need to purchase and connect to my new aftermarket radio's harness, what needs to be done about the amplifier harness that's underneath the passenger seat? I understand I need to bypass the amplifier to get power to the speakers, but after that I am lost. I've searched and searched and I cannot find a place that sells the correct bypass amp harness for a 93.

Thank you in advance for your help.
1993 Cobra #270 Vibrant Red Clearcoat
1986Browns

Re: Aftermarket radio install/harness question

Post by 1986Browns »

Don't overthink this, just call Crutchfield and ask them. Car stereos are their specialty.
Psychokinesis

Post by Psychokinesis »

No need to worry. Behind the radio mount there is a connection where the speaker and amp harness connects. Just unplug and you have just bypassed the amp..plug your aftermarket speaker harness there and you are golden. I just completed this myself, but i cut my amp harness end to use as the harness. I am not suggesting this but my stereo system was all hacked up and i dont have the amp anyway probably never will.
5p0intslow

Post by 5p0intslow »

Psychokinesis wrote:No need to worry. Behind the radio mount there is a connection where the speaker and amp harness connects. Just unplug and you have just bypassed the amp..plug your aftermarket speaker harness there and you are golden. I just completed this myself, but i cut my amp harness end to use as the harness. I am not suggesting this but my stereo system was all hacked up and i dont have the amp anyway probably never will.
Thank you, the radio harness I purchased with the radio connected to those plug and bypassed the amp. I was under the assumption that I needed to purchase a separate harness for the amp but I was wrong. Thank you!
1993 Cobra #270 Vibrant Red Clearcoat