BEST SHORT THROW SHIFTER??

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

BEST SHORT THROW SHIFTER??

Post by Guest »

I'M LOOKING TO CHANGE OUT MY FACTORY SHIFTER TO A SHORT THROW. WHICH IS THE BEST OUT THERE? PRO 5.0, MGW OR STEEDA? I HATE 3RD GEAR WITH THE STOCK SHIFTER. I WANT ONE THAT CLICKS INTO GEAR. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPERICATED.
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

first advice.. Turn off the cap locks key :D

I run the tri-ax in my 01 cobra and 93 cobra. I love it.

-BUT-

I have heard so much about the MGW that i plan on buying one for my SVO in the near future
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)

Post by Guest »

caps off... How is the installation for the steeda? Do you think this hurts the value of the car?
svt2205

Post by svt2205 »

I vote for the Hurst competion shifter, this was modification number one for my 93. Installation for any of these shifters is easy, and no, your not going to effect the value of your car.

This is one of those topics that you'll get all sorts of opinions on. I think pretty much all of the available after market shifters for our cars are decent. Go find some Fox Mustang guys who have different shifters and see if you can find one that feels right. At our local SVT events, you'll see many guys jumping in and out of cars trying to sample different shifters.... Surely cheaper then buying a bunch and trying them out...

Good luck with your shifter search
Henry
93 Cobra #2205
Delivered 3/18/1994
Born on 4/21/1993
Original Owner

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info :D
rufus

Pro 5.0 Shifter

Post by rufus »

I put a Pro 5.0 shifter into mine at 25k miles, after getting nervous about the engagement of 3rd seeming a little sloppy and vague. I first tried their 'short throw' lever, but found the reach to 3rd gear was too far (I'm 6'2" with long arms and legs). After switching to their 'normal' throw shift lever this problem went away, plus I like the 100% stock appearance. This shifter has been fine throughout the time I've had it...now @ 197K miles. Just something else to consider if you're tall. And like SVT2205 said, try some out 'til you find one you like. Installation's a snap, and keep the original parts for resale. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Bob S.

Post by Guest »

Sounds like I can't go wrong with the pro 5.0. I'm only 5'5 so I think I would like the smaller lever. Thanks Bob.
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

I prefer the steeda over the pro 5.0 and b&m ripper.

I ran both of those shifters before i seen the light with the tri-ax
93 Cobra
84 SVO

OLLETT

Post by OLLETT »

From the reviews that I've read the Pro 5.0 and the Tri-ax are two of the best. But I've seen in some articles that alot of the people who have tried both say that the tri-ax makes or lets a little more rattling noise into the car. However, the Pro 5.0 does cost a few dollars more on average at the different sites of purchase. So it may come down to a few dollars more compared to a little bit of rattle. Like svt2205 said it may just come down to personal preference and what you are willing to live with.
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

the tri-ax handle is a little more noisier than the others because of the material it is made out of but I over look it because I like the angle of the shifter. The knob is positioned a little closer to you compared to the other brand shifters.

Which makes it easier for me to speed shift :D
93 Cobra
84 SVO

Big B

Post by Big B »

I have the hurst comp shifter in mine and have had no problems.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

I just put a Steeda Tri-ax shifter in mine a week ago and I love it.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE

Post by Guest »

I installed my ford racing (steeda tri ax) shifter today. That shifter is amazing! It is very quiet, I've heard tons of people complain about the noise it makes... What noise!!? It is quieter than the stock one. Anyone trying to decide which shifter to get, no doubt tri ax is the one to get.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

The Steeda Tri-ax is a good shifter, I have it in my car.

I would get the Pro 5.0 shifter too, its a good one.

The only thing I dont like about it is you seem to have to push in the clutch in order to get into gear when the car is off. Its not that big of a deal but its what I noticed.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
Black306

Post by Black306 »

I'm partial to the Steeda Tri-Ax. I had one in my '00 GT and have one in my '03. I like the Pro 5.0 too, but I think its a bit too notchy for my taste. I probably wont get a shifter for my '93 since its 100% stock (still has the factory rivets for the CC plates and air silencer) and I don't want to deviate from that.
Derek
WestCoastFords.com

'03 Cobra / '01 Focus S2

"Bottles are for babies...real men get blown."