Paint question for the experts

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

JFree93

Paint question for the experts

Post by JFree93 »

Hello all, need a little help from experts. I just had #1624 detailed by a pro, he said there's no clearcoat on the front bumper and rear wing, anyone else ever noticed that on yours? His initial thought was that it's been painted, but the car has 15,000 miles on it, the paint looks great, but does have plenty of little nicks, touched up spots, fine scratches, to where I just will not believe it's been painted, just not perfect enough for someone to have gone to that much trouble. Any thoughts on this? Mileage is legit based on all the records and research I've done, but this is a mystery to me, I went back through all the pages of the forum and didn't see anything about this which worries me. What do you guys think?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Paint question for the experts

Post by Z282SLO »

Lots of unexpected things can happen to a car over 23 years, even one with low mileage. The front bumper and rear wing normally have clearcoat on them from the factory.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

a lot of cars get paint touch ups at the dealer, after going through new car make ready.look at the vin sticker and see if it is there , has paint on it, or has a paint line around it. you should be able to tell if its been painted
JFree93

Post by JFree93 »

Thanks for the replies, I checked all the vin tags really close, only thing strange is that the tags on the front and rear bumpers both have a clear piece of tape over them, is this different than everyone else's? But nothing else that looks off
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Front and rear bumpers do have a clear piece of tape like protectant over them.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
Ill_w1n

Post by Ill_w1n »

could this have anything to do with why some cars have a lighter or darker shade of color on the bumper? Or is that just an overall issue with foxbodies? I've come across a couple of red one's and I notice it in pictures and always tell myself that would bother me seeing two different shades. Makes me think the car has been repainted.
2013 gt500
1993 cobra #1082
1993 cobra #2352 (sold)
2015 explorer sport
1965 fastback
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

The paint quality on these cars and others of the era was not the best to begin with and sometimes doesn't age particularly well. In addition, the paint ages a little differently on the plastic bumpers than on the metal fenders, etc. You sometimes see this color difference between the paint on the plastic and metal parts, especially on cars that were exposed to the elements on a more regular basis.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

I'm the original owner and right after I took delivery I noticed the inside of the front bumper cover near the battery was blue. Like the cover was originally blue and was repainted black.

I went back to the dealer who didn't have a clue. I wasn't pissed, just curious so they looked up the "record" on it. Whatever that is. They said at the time that if there was a repair after leaving the assembly line there would be a "record", but nothing.
I'm thinking they needed a cover, had a blue one and painted it black.

Who knows?

robj
1993 Cobra # 613
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Interesting story. If car was repaired by ford prior to getting to dealer, dealer would have no record of it. There were a few red cars that didn't have clearcoat, but they were car's 1-10. No telling what happened along the way for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
cobramustang1993

Post by cobramustang1993 »

There was a time period at Mfrs that urethane parts were painted using a flex agent in the paint, as opposed to the paint used on metal...In that case, the urethane parts were painted on a different production line, and then mated to the car...That accounts for variance in shade and finish quality on urethane vs main body....I have seen unrestored cars where various urethane parts would have more than 1 or 2 pieces that didn't match in shade on the same car.....Hope this might help....
TEAL93COBRA3279

Post by TEAL93COBRA3279 »

My teal car front bumper has always been a shade different. Not to noticeable unless you are in the right light but none the less, it has always drove me nuts.