Daily driving #226: Don't you own a normal car?

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

JeffG-4633

Re: Daily driving #226: Don't you own a normal car?

Post by JeffG-4633 »

So the right foot thing apparently has been working well because last week she ticked off 73,000 miles. That's over 20k miles since purchase and no end in sight.

By the time I have owned her for a year (March 1st - 2017) it will easily be 30k total miles added. Still enjoying my decision to make this my daily.

Recently during a friendly (really it was) conversation with an LAPD officer, he looked in the back seat and was surprised to see I let my dogs ride in the car. :pat: Guess you're not supposed to do that with these cars? Mine didn't come with that set of instructions and the dogs kind of like it so were all good with it.

Oil changes happen way to quickly - need to head home early today and do another oil change. Outside of an ashtray door that likes to stay open and a quirky neutral safety switch, she is taking it all in stride. I'm sure by the end of the year it will need brakes and some love and attention on wheel bearing and fluids. After our rain on Monday (yes it was in the rain, jeez) she's looking sad and needing a good coat of wax. She more than deserves it.

Strangely, I have yet to run across another '93 Cobra on the road, heck, even Fox GT's are a rarity on California freeways. Where is everyone hiding these things?

So for all you snowbelt folks who just winterized your rides, I will be thinking of you on my way home this afternoon, me? I'll have the windows down in the fast lane. No dogs this trip though...
#226 Black, Black cloth, 101k
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch
'55 Chevy Bel-air LS1 / T56

SOLD:
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Glad you are getting some driving enjoyment out of your ride.

It really is funny and kinda shocking... You used to see Fox body Mustangs at every stop light. They were EVERYWHERE! Now, it's rare for me to see one in Texas as well and the few I see here and there are trashed.
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Goose17 wrote:Glad you are getting some driving enjoyment out of your ride.
X2. Nice to hear the right foot thing is working out so well! :drive:
Goose17 wrote:It really is funny and kinda shocking... You used to see Fox body Mustangs at every stop light. They were EVERYWHERE! Now, it's rare for me to see one in Texas as well and the few I see here and there are trashed.
Same here in PA/NJ. Of course, the "newest" Foxes are 24 years old. I don't see too many '80s/early '90s cars of any make/model on the roads anymore.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

Goose17 wrote:Glad you are getting some driving enjoyment out of your ride.

It really is funny and kinda shocking... You used to see Fox body Mustangs at every stop light. They were EVERYWHERE! Now, it's rare for me to see one in Texas as well and the few I see here and there are trashed.

Same here in mid Missouri. I just never see them anymore.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
JeffG-4633

Post by JeffG-4633 »

Stopped for gas this morning and looked at the odometer. Touching on 95k miles.

That means Ive added 43k miles in 1.5 years. The car has been awesome.

Finally had to replace the tires, brakes still look new, front struts went south so I did a full front suspension rebuild and tune up a few weeks back.

In all that time on the road I've yet to see another cobra and have come across relatively few Fox bodies. I know they are out there, just nobody driving them.

It's been driven every day regardless of weather or traffic. AC is nice and cold for our LA summers and she takes whatever I can throw at it. Still returns 20mpg despite my right foot's best efforts. Not a squeak or rattle.

100k miles is just around the corner.
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch

SOLD:
pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

Mines is getting body & paint but I'm in SoCal so you'll have some company! I love not seeing many foxbodys. Makes ours that much more unique.....
'98 White terminated Cobra
'93 Black Cobra #4831
JeffG-4633

Post by JeffG-4633 »

So, in less than two years of driving I've been able to spin the odometer around. Last Wednesday, on an uneventful morning drive to work I got to watch the odometer turn itself into a line of zeros. It would have made for a better memory if the locale or time of day was more memorable than the '91 Freeway at 4:30am but some things are out of my control.

Looking back on my decision, I have no regrets. Daily driving a supercharged Cobra in southern California has been most enjoyable. The list of parts carnage is minimal, replaced a few wear items like tires and shocks/struts but overall she has fared very well.

She still starts without hesitation when I twist the key, still returns 20mpg, drinks not a drop of oil, and the AC freezes my butt off when its 100+ outside. Gets thumbs up and smiles nearly every day (even more so when she's all cleaned up). Not sure what more I could ask for (another 100 horsepower?).

#226 has been all over southern California, it spent a day circling Willow Springs when my other Cobra decided to play dead for track day in April and even managed to haul my two Sheepdogs on the occasions when they need to be somewhere.

Have I seen another '93 Cobra in my 49,000 miles of driving? Nope. Barely have seen another Fox body on the road.

:beer: Here's to the next 100k miles - give me three years and I'll be there.
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch

SOLD:
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

We need a "like" button. Awesome stuff JeffG!
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Goose17 wrote:We need a "like" button. Awesome stuff JeffG!
X2!

You’re certainly getting your money’s worth from that Cobra. But from one owner of a supercharged Cobra to another, how the !$&? are you getting 20mpg? It must be all that highway driving, because my Cobra gets nowhere close to that with the “spirited” driving that I do. :twisted:
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
lukewood2

Post by lukewood2 »

JeffG-4633 wrote:So, in less than two years of driving I've been able to spin the odometer around. Last Wednesday, on an uneventful morning drive to work I got to watch the odometer turn itself into a line of zeros. It would have made for a better memory if the locale or time of day was more memorable than the '91 Freeway at 4:30am but some things are out of my control.

Looking back on my decision, I have no regrets. Daily driving a supercharged Cobra in southern California has been most enjoyable. The list of parts carnage is minimal, replaced a few wear items like tires and shocks/struts but overall she has fared very well.

She still starts without hesitation when I twist the key, still returns 20mpg, drinks not a drop of oil, and the AC freezes my butt off when its 100+ outside. Gets thumbs up and smiles nearly every day (even more so when she's all cleaned up). Not sure what more I could ask for (another 100 horsepower?).

#226 has been all over southern California, it spent a day circling Willow Springs when my other Cobra decided to play dead for track day in April and even managed to haul my two Sheepdogs on the occasions when they need to be somewhere.

Have I seen another '93 Cobra in my 49,000 miles of driving? Nope. Barely have seen another Fox body on the road.

:beer: Here's to the next 100k miles - give me three years and I'll be there.
Did I hear SoCal? Glad I'm not they only one that drives.
JeffG-4633

Post by JeffG-4633 »

Has it been five months? My how things change.

In December, I started doing something I wish I did five years ago - RIDE THE DARN TRAIN TO WORK.

My 120 mile a day round trip turned to 12. 12 freakin miles a day!!! Fuel stop are now once every other week vs once every other day.

Mileage creeped to a crawl and now sits at 6k. I thoroughly enjoyed 55k miles of driving. Damn the depreciation - it was worth it. You low mileage guys are welcome for me making yours just that much more valuable. My value was measured in smiles per mile.

Coinciding with all of this is having a younger (younger is relative at 50) brother with Mustang Cobra lust. He expressed an interest in buying it and from what it looks like it may be his in a month or so. He lives clear across the country (Connecticut) and had a hard time finding a nice black on black Fox Body near him. His lead foot will no doubt like the aluminum lung under the hood. You east coast guys may appreciate the rust free California chassis moving into your neighborhood.

If he takes it I know it will be in good hands, that car is a super reliable piece that sucked up everything I threw at it. I drive it like an old lady, well except for that old-lady practice of smashing into immobile objects thing. Maintenance on it was minimal, tires, throwout bearing, water pump.

I'll clean her up nicely, swap out some fluids and wave goodbye. I'll visit in July so I'll twist that AC knob to sub-zero and enjoy the ride - only from the passenger seat this time.

My garage is still full of stuff, projects and drivers. Heck, even have my 1990 GT sitting in the storage lot at work waiting for its turn. Who knows what the future holds. I still do have a soft spot for Teal SVT's...

Jeff
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch

SOLD:
buddha

Post by buddha »

JeffG-4633 wrote: You east coast guys may appreciate the rust free California chassis moving into your neighborhood.
Jeff

Us high humidity and crazy temperature swing guy states too! Cars definitely do well in your climate. Last time I was out there a few years ago, tons of early 80's cars buzzing around, barely looked their age.

One thing I will say though is tires and such last a lot longer out here in the Midwest, not much dry-rot happening for sure. :mrgreen:
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
JeffG-4633

Post by JeffG-4633 »

226 has left Southern California and is resting comfortably in Connecticut. I am on my way to visit my east coast relatives right now so I guess I still get visitation rights. Maybe my brother will let me drive it.

Currently have run out of 1993 Cobras.
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch

SOLD:
69boss

Post by 69boss »

just caught up on this thread

what a great story.. from start to finish and very inspiring

I bought a couple of cobras over the last year and half first one was a teal black with 50K miles Idea was to semi daily drive it when it wasnt raining but when I got the car it was way too nice and all original (also very slow) so I couldnt bring myself to daily drive it so I bought another cobra a year later blk on blk that was highly modified but that was a whole story in and of itself I just about finished working on it (you are never done) at least to the point where I hope to get some real use out of it, the idea is to do what I originally wanted to do with the teal blk one, Im hoping to start driving it more and more as I start to shake it down after all the work that I just finished.

I really enjoyed reading your story I only hope I can drive this car half as much as you drove yours.
JeffG-4633

Post by JeffG-4633 »

226 has been in Connecticut for a little over a year now. My brother is absolutely loving it and its living the pampered life.

Pretty sure his foot is heavier than mine and its approaching 108,500 miles of happiness.

He took it for a summer drive down to the docks to hop on his boat and do a little fishing. Nice way to spend his day off.

If you see him out and about say hi for me.
66 Fastback
Superformance Cobra #62
90 GT Hatch

SOLD: