CA smog/emissions???

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Ill_w1n

CA smog/emissions???

Post by Ill_w1n »

Im in the search of a cobra but have been reading horror stories about california and their emissions. From what ive researched so far is that the 93 cobra intake is not a california legal part unless its on a cobra. It cant be on a gt or lx. Also some 93 cobra's were built for ca emissions and some were not? Does that limit my search even more if so? can you guys help me clarify this? Thanks.
2013 gt500
1993 cobra #1082
1993 cobra #2352 (sold)
2015 explorer sport
1965 fastback
pete3323

Re: CA smog/emissions???

Post by pete3323 »

Mine passes even with shorty headers.
'98 White terminated Cobra
'93 Black Cobra #4831
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

If your car runs clean you shouldn't have a problem. I had 3 93 Cobras registered in CA and never had an issue with smog.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Ill_w1n wrote:Im in the search of a cobra but have been reading horror stories about california and their emissions. From what ive researched so far is that the 93 cobra intake is not a california legal part unless its on a cobra. It cant be on a gt or lx.
I am not sure on this one way or another.
Also some 93 cobra's were built for ca emissions and some were not?
Correct. What was different on a CA emissions car vs the rest of the USA? Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Other than it MIGHT have a CA emissions label under the hood. There were no additional parts, no special EEC tune. Nothing.
Does that limit my search even more if so? can you guys help me clarify this? Thanks.
I imagine that a non CA emissions car can be certified for CA. Process would likely be different for each year model. Some cars can age out and be golden. That's something you should like discuss with your local smog shop and see what they say. Or even better, discuss with CARB and see what they say. Even better than that, get out of CA. :-D
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
Ill_w1n

Post by Ill_w1n »

93Cobra#2771 wrote:
Ill_w1n wrote:Im in the search of a cobra but have been reading horror stories about california and their emissions. From what ive researched so far is that the 93 cobra intake is not a california legal part unless its on a cobra. It cant be on a gt or lx.
I am not sure on this one way or another.
Also some 93 cobra's were built for ca emissions and some were not?
Correct. What was different on a CA emissions car vs the rest of the USA? Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Other than it MIGHT have a CA emissions label under the hood. There were no additional parts, no special EEC tune. Nothing.
Does that limit my search even more if so? can you guys help me clarify this? Thanks.
I imagine that a non CA emissions car can be certified for CA. Process would likely be different for each year model. Some cars can age out and be golden. That's something you should like discuss with your local smog shop and see what they say. Or even better, discuss with CARB and see what they say. Even better than that, get out of CA. :-D
lol trust me, I'm about on my last nerve with this liberal state. Between this and the gun laws here I've about had it. Thanks for the info all. If I have an issue I can always register the car in Oregon.
2013 gt500
1993 cobra #1082
1993 cobra #2352 (sold)
2015 explorer sport
1965 fastback