#3942 Red just stolen!

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

12SVT

Re: #3942 Red just stolen!

Post by 12SVT »

It never even occurred to me someone might try to steal the car until I saw this post. I guess the fox cars might be easier to steal than the newer cars?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

12SVT wrote:It never even occurred to me someone might try to steal the car until I saw this post. I guess the fox cars might be easier to steal than the newer cars?
You're joking, right?
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
12SVT

#3942 Red just stolen!

Post by 12SVT »

Z282SLO wrote:
12SVT wrote:It never even occurred to me someone might try to steal the car until I saw this post. I guess the fox cars might be easier to steal than the newer cars?
You're joking, right?
No really I just never put any thought into someone actually trying to steal one of my cars. I have a GT500 and I don't think much about it getting stolen I guess because it was a newer car. When we went on the Power Tour or go places I'm more worried about bad weather or a door ding.

Plus I live in WV and I think if I was in another area or a more populated city I would have been more conscious of the thefts being an issue.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

12SVT wrote:
Z282SLO wrote:
You're joking, right?
No really I just never put any thought into someone actually trying to steal one of my cars. I have a GT500 and I don't think much about it getting stolen I guess because it was a newer car. When we went on the Power Tour or go places I'm more worried about bad weather or a door ding.

Plus I live in WV and I think if I was in another area or a more populated city I would have been more conscious of the thefts being an issue.
Must be nice to live in a place like that. I've got a buddy near Omaha, NE that doesn't even lock his house at night, which is hard for me to imagine. In the Northeast, one must be quite a bit more cautious about where one parks, etc. As for ease of stealing, nearly every car from the 80s and 90s are much easier to steal than newer models, especially since ignition keys with embedded chips were introduced.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

Like someone else already mentioned, you seriously only need a screwdriver, preferably a big flat head.

Here's where they start, and it's just that fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQq2EnyUeOg

And this is where the finish things up after the break into the column:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCm-h8pAiKI
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
specracer

Post by specracer »

Our 88 fox was almost stolen during the F1 weekend in Montreal in around 93. Door cylinder was half out.

Locks only deter the honest people.
Fox9350

Post by Fox9350 »

Knowing how easy it is to steal these cars what do you all do to protect yourselves?

What devices and measures can help DETER a theft?

Alarm system?
Lojack?
The club?
Don't leave it unattended for long periods or at night?

This is a car where insurance money etc can't really truly buy a replacement. What are you all doing?
buddha

Post by buddha »

Fox9350 wrote:

That.

My cars are strictly pleasure vehicles, I would never feel comfortable leaving them out in the open over night. Net even during the day. Took the black car out today, ran in the grocery store for a few minutes, but that is about as long I'm comfortable with. I even live in a fairly small mid-western town, car theft isn't even really a factor. I couldn't imagine living somewhere where it's relevant.

My red car has been around the block, it has 109,000 miles on it, but overall shows very well. It's a nice driver and could be easily replaced for the most part, less the drivetrain. The black car however would be a challange. Not may sub 15k mile black/black cars left in the condition it's in. I would probably be ill if something happened to it.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
Mystic1199

Post by Mystic1199 »

Fox9350 wrote:Knowing how easy it is to steal these cars what do you all do to protect yourselves?

What devices and measures can help DETER a theft?

Alarm system?
Lojack?
The club?

This is a car where insurance money etc can't really truly buy a replacement. What are you all doing?

one of the easiest ways I used to deter theft on my old foxs is wire an interrupt switch just on and off , wire it between the inertia switch in the back . hide the switch under dash or glovebox and when left just flip switch car wont start .
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

buddha wrote:Not may sub 15k mile black/black cars left in the condition it's in. I would probably be ill if something happened to it.
You put a KB on a stock, 15K mile car?

:lol: 8) :mrgreen: :biggrin: :drinks: :biggrin: :D
Tk1299

Post by Tk1299 »

^^^ ok that made me laugh
1993 Cobra - Kenne Bell 2.1 Flowzilla/Alkycontrol Meth Injection
2003 Cobra - K&N /Borla Exhaust
69boss

Post by 69boss »

this brings back memories I drove a fox in college and I can tell you from personal experience it is a terrible feeling when you come back to see your car gone and some glass on the ground where is was parked, My 88 GT was stolen from the parking lot of my university in 92 and when I returned and realized what had happened made me sick to my stomach. a few days later I get a call from the insurance company saying they found my car, its at the impound, if I wanted to go see to buy it back. I was so happy until I showed up to the lot and there was literally nothing left on the car. the only reason I was even able to recognize it is because the only thing they left on the car was the windshield and I had a mustang sticker on the top of the windshield, no doors, hatch, hood, engine or even rear axle or brakes nothing complete interior gone too not even the carpet. the sight of the car in that condition still makes me upset after so many years.

unfortunately you can't control things like this but this is the reason we have insurance, and now we have much better theft deterrent methods so I rather enjoy my cars. my worse fear now a days is not theft but rather door dings and scratches from inconsiderate people.