Backyard Cobra Find

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

BrettT

Re: Backyard Cobra Find

Post by BrettT »

Thanks for sharing Billy, told ya a lot of people would be interested in this save, magazine material, I think.
Again, congrats Billy :beer:, really glad this teal was saved finally!
svtrookie

Post by svtrookie »

I still can't believe it! I am excited to see this car come together.

Below are some pictures and a video of Billy's 1989 LX. I posted these pictures on here a few years ago when I was looking for a 93 Cobra. Just sharing again, so everyone can see the possible donor car for the 93.

Here is the run down: 306, TF Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock Victor intake, Powerpipe, Ford Racing Z Cam, Mac Mufflers, bbk long tubes, Full MM suspension (coilovers torque arm etc.)

1989 Mustang 5.0 Sounds Amazing--Revolution Automotive - YouTube

Tom
2003 SB Cobra Coupe Built 06/12/02 - #510 of 8,394 - 1 of 1,052
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association

2008 Trailblazer SS

http://www.revautoracing.com/
specracer

Post by specracer »

Whoa, that's a pretty nice donor car!
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Nice find and nice donor car for sure. Keep us updated!
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Good luck with the Cobra. Should be a lot of fun getting it back on the road. Are you looking to return to stock? If so, I have complete a set of wheels with original tires. I took them off the car at 15,000 miles. Also have the never used spare. I'm the original owner so I know they're for real. Let me know if you're interested. I can send pictures.
No. 4209
1968 Mustang Convertible
1936 Ford Hotrod Pickup
2007 Corvette Convertible
2004 Ranger Pickup
2013 Lincoln MKX (wife's car)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

should make a nice car , i have a few rear spoilers,
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Great save on the teal, looking forward to updates. That '89 is awesome, not sure I'd part it for the Cobra, unless it was going to be built back up with more nice stuff. Much luck.
4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

So after hemming and hawing for a good bit as to what to do (back to stock or mod), I will be transferring over all the items from my blue car over to the Cobra. First order of business it to continue stripping down the car and trying to fix any surface rust before it heads to get a roll bar installed. I know a few people will be a little upset about welding in a roll bar, but I don't want to run into the same issues I've had on my blue car. With my old car having full maximum motorsports suspension (and me driving like I stole it) the sail areas of the quarters are beginning to crack from the body flex. Needless to say I don't want to go through trying to fix that after having a freshly painted teal cobra.

All of the original parts, well what's left of them, are going to end up in my shed in case 30 years down the road I decide to put it back to stock.

I'll be posting up more pics as I go, but for this year my plans are-
- disassembling the remaining interior, pulling engine/trans/exhaust
- pulling off the fenders/bumper/hood
- fixing any body rust (mostly the floor pans from the window being busted out and leaking)
- having a roll bar, subframe connectors installed, then welding the torque boxes up
- soda blasting/glass/Walnut... Some sort of blasting to the underside to get the years of neglect taken care of
- replacing the front aprons- possibly the core support
- painting the undercarriage, eng compartment, upper/outer rails, roll bar and maybe getting the jambs cut in as well
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Not crazy about the whole roll bar idea. However, anything idea to get this car back on the road is better then where it was rotting away in a back yard. Looking for to future pictures and updates for sure! :pop:
4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

BrettT wrote:Not crazy about the whole roll bar idea. However, anything idea to get this car back on the road is better then where it was rotting away in a back yard. Looking for to future pictures and updates for sure! :pop:
Yeah, I know I'm going to get some negative feedback on the roll bar, however after blowing tons of cash on the other car and seeing how weak and susceptible they are to body flex, I almost have to do it. The torque arm/panhard bar set up is amazing, but puts tons of strain on the body!
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Are you drag racing or road racing it? :drive:
4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

BrettT wrote:Are you drag racing or road racing it? :drive:
Yes- lol. To both... Roll bar will be certified to 10.0s (which I'll never get close) and also for road race. Scca just changed their rules to allow chromoly, so I want to do some hyperdrives and maybe start hitting some hpde events
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

4538cobra wrote:how weak and susceptible they are to body flex
One of the biggest drawbacks to the Fox body platform, especially when mods add significant power. Looking forward to following this build thread.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

4538cobra wrote: Roll bar will be certified to 10.0s (which I'll never get close)
Sure you can. I ran a 10.30 with 15lbs of boost on a gt40 motor with ported heads and extrude intake a B-cam and old school tuning. :mrgreen:
4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

Blue car went 11.7@ 110 on Goodyear gsd3's... I have 4.56s in it so it ran out of gear top end and had to let out... Fun, but not the right gearing at all lol. 4.10s are going back in the car... Hoping for a low 11 pass on reg tires, just the way it sits.