Backyard Cobra Find

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

4538cobra

Backyard Cobra Find

Post by 4538cobra »

So I've been on the hunt for quite some while for a teal, no sunroof, cloth Cobra. I wanted something that I could work on, from top to bottom and bring back to life. Rollers are hard to come by, and even when they do, they're still pricey. In my hometown of Baltimore, BrettT sent me a picture and location of a car that has been sitting since the late 90's. The car been broken into, ransacked, wheels/intake/spoiler stollen, sitting on the ground, and just wasting away. I figured I'd stop by and see if they were interested in selling (many have tried and many have failed). The story that the owner told folks was that their son was going to restore it, and that's the same response I got. Determined not to let the car continue to rot, I'd stop back about once a month to see if he would entertain a cash offer, or at least call me about it, but no call ever came. About a month ago I popped in again, and spoke to the sons father who actually started talking price with me. After a nominal offer was made, I could tell it wasn't enough, but I really wasn't sure about the condition of the undercarriage so I didn't want to overpay if the car was gone underneath. A few more weeks went by and I figured I'd go there one last time, make my highest offer and have it be contingent on the condition of the underside. 2 hours after I left, I got a call saying that they accepted my offer and can pick it up the next day. To much of my surprise, the car has minimal surface rust starting on the passenger side floor pan from the passenger window being broken, but the rest is in relatively good shape. The front end of the car has some damage, but I was knew that going in.

This car is going to be a huge project, and most likely years in the making. I have an 89 mustang that I'm most likely going to transfer all my goodies over from, but the body and interior of the car will remain stock. I'll be keeping the original parts tucked away in my shed so if I ever decide to sell it (probably not ever going to happen), they'll be there. Anyway, thanks for read and this is my first post!

Billy

Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Backyard Cobra Find

Post by Z282SLO »

Welcome! Best of luck bringing it back to life.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
bdecoy

Post by bdecoy »

Wow keep us posted
#1571 teal/blk stock 7k
#1547 blk/blk stock 19k
Sold:2946 1521 1447
Winchester

Post by Winchester »

Persistence diffidently paid off. Good luck on the restoration!
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

I look forward to your progress pictures. Thanks for saving the a sexy Teal!
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

Nice save :beer:

Here is your NOS Cobra spoiler;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-19 ... xD&vxp=mtr
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

That's not a bad one to fix, you still have the orig drivetrain, just have to get an upper intake/spoiler and rims (all easy finds). This looks like a fun project. You are lucky they didn't take the cobra ground effects!

How many miles are on the car?
Did you ever find out how it ended up where it was?
Does it have all the matching vin stickers?

4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

So the mileage was a little tricky on this one... The car was parked in the late 90's and never driven due to a clutch issue (according to the owner). It showed 21k, and originally thought I had found a very low mileage car. However, upon a Ford warranty history check, it revealed that the owner had driven the piss out of the car in the first year! 30k miles in the first year! I'm glad he got to enjoy the car for a while before parking it for 20 years though. So I'm most likely going to putting all my stuff in the car, and enjoying it. I will add that I actually purchased it from the original owner... I was kind of dumbfounded when he said that... As soon as I found that out it was sold.

It looks like the car has all the vin stickers except for the front cover. The car took a shot up front, and I'm guessing they replaced the cover at one point. The hood and fender stickers were painted over, but the rest remain visible on the door/quarters/hatch/rear cover.

JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

Interesting so the guy that left it out there to rot was the original owner? WTF....crazy he didn't keep in inside somewhere at least, those cars weren't cheap new. The interior doesn't look like it has a ton of miles that's why I was asking. So what does the ODO show?

I hate when people paint over some of the stickers, I have yet to find a way to get the paint off and reveal the sticker. Prob some guy that wasn't paying attention. Sucks

4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

Yup! Original owner who let it rot! Interior definitely had some wear in the driver's area... Hole on the driver's seat, wear mark through the original mats, and the door pins are jacked.

Yeah, it's a shame someone just painted over it, just lazy prepwork unfortunately. I'll definitely be looking into have some made... But that's down the road a good bit.

Psychokinesis

Post by Psychokinesis »

Sweet find. At least the body is intact, no major damages. Like stated earlier, its a wonder the ground effects are still there. They look good to be sitting on the ground. Good luck with the project. This is something I would love to do. I found mine built to race, 480 to the wheels on a 347 stroker with blower, the whole stiffening suspension, the works. I turned it back to stock as a daily driver, stock motor with the blower, just a little street friendly. Again, keep us posted..One question, did you get a deal or what?
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

so maybe its 121k?

4538cobra

Post by 4538cobra »

I'm relatively surprised at the condition as well. I was fully prepared to see the floors completely gone. As far as the price goes.... Wasn't a steal or anything... But it was cheaper than the other teal car that was recently for sale that was all disassembled and could be painted and sold for 18k haha!

And yeah... I'm definitely thinking this is a 121k mi car.
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

4538cobra wrote:I'm relatively surprised at the condition as well. I was fully prepared to see the floors completely gone. As far as the price goes.... Wasn't a steal or anything... But it was cheaper than the other teal car that was recently for sale that was all disassembled and could be painted and sold for 18k haha!

And yeah... I'm definitely thinking this is a 121k mi car.

Nice good luck with it and keep the pics coming! :pop:

Gecko86

Post by Gecko86 »

These are the types of finds that ,I like hearing about.
Did the owner provide you with any paperwork?Keep posting pics as you
go forward.