#966 get a new motor/trans

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

69boss

Re: #966 get a new motor/trans

Post by 69boss »

finally got it running the ac is still not hooked up but I couldnt wait to drive it a bit so I took it out for a little spin to make sure all is good before going to dyno and even though I really didnt get on it it pulls significantly better down low. definitely put a big grin on my face and all the long hours seemed worth it instantly , I ended up replacing all the hoses and loomed pretty much all the wiring while I was in there cleaned up some of the other stuff and added a few touches of my own....

I used some black AN fittings instead of the brass ones that came with the supercharger and wrapped the hoses in some high heat braided loom material and used the heat shrink clamps for the first time.. they are holding fine so far..

buddha

Post by buddha »

Cool.

So you got the pulley stuff figured out?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

well Im not entirely sure

right now I have the 2.5" pulley on it... Im not sure how much boost its going to make full throttle and I have another pulley thats 2" so I can always go down a size I do have a 3" pulley but I dont think that will fit under the hood... I didnt mention before it has been very troublesome trying to get everything to fit and it all does but barely, as you know first the sc wouldnt clear the valve covers then when I raised it the hood wouldnt clear I found the middle ground between the valve covers and hood closing with a 1/2" spacer , then I thought the sc wouldnt fit because the cradle pushed the motor back but it fits there also but just barely,, when i was doing all this was with out the pulley on the supercharger I never thought that would be another issue but it was,, when I got everything installed the bracing on the hood would contact the sc pulley and yes.. I had to cut a section of the hood bracing to get the pulley to clear.... it clears now but again barely there might be 1/4" gap between the top of the pulley and hood when its closed... i shut the hood and started the car went under it to see if the motor moving around would be an issue but the motor stays put very well not a lot of movement certainly not enough to make the pulley contact the hood so close call there.. and so thats why I dont think it would clear the 3" pulley... the motor is ford racing z crate motor so the heads are big and It should flow a lot more than stock so it probably wouldnt as as much boost as on a stock motor with the same pulley .... Im taking the smaller pulley to the dyno if we feel like there is room then Ill just swap them out then and have another go see what it does... with the smaller pulley there will be even more room under the hood so that will be good if I can get away with it... im anxious to see what kind of power it makes on full boost...
69boss

Post by 69boss »

got to dyno the car last week but it was running out of fuel on the top end so we had to cut the session short he couldnt really take it past 5K rpm and was letting off around 4800 rpm as we were overwhelming the injectors... it made something ridiculous like 500 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm and 480 hp throughout the pull until he would let off... going to put bigger injectors in it and try again I dont think we are going to make more power just to even out the AFRs and make it safe....
buddha

Post by buddha »

Nice. What size are you running now?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

i have 42s in it now... going big this time around to 80s... make sure there arent any issues.... I hope this will end the saga.. I have other projects to get to....
69boss

Post by 69boss »

do you know the pulley bolt size by any chance,, I was thinking its probably not a bad Idea to have a few extras on hand incase...
69boss

Post by 69boss »

so its been a while since I made an update ...

so after coming back from the dyno last time it turned out we blew a head gasket I was real bummed after putting all that work in it, it is still hard to determine when it blew if on the dyno or if it was blown to begin with... I took it all apart and put the cometic gaskets on it and been driving it for a while now,, needless to say I will not be going back to the dyno... I just got a safe can tune from a friend and the car seems to be happy for now.. I really cant afford to have it go down again.. so for now its running the 5lb pulley and its still pretty fun to drive..dont really care to know how much power it makes as long as it stays together.. im gona call this done for now even though they are really never done..

specracer

Post by specracer »

The right foot dyno works too. Glad your enjoying it finally!
69boss

Post by 69boss »

thanks,,, by the time everything was said and done I cant believe it took over a year... and I still have to do some minor stuff change the ride height and align the front wheels etc.. but now onto the "new" project, I just hope that does not take me a whole year to complete!