#966 get a new motor/trans

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

69boss

#966 get a new motor/trans

Post by 69boss »

So figured I might catch you guys up with the progress of this car, if you dont already know I bought it off ebay a while back and it turned out to be an "ebay" car as far as the engine and trans goes anyway, the rest of it was pretty good, no rust at all super clean body and mint interior with full maximum motorsport kit, cradle, sub frame connectors, pan hard bar, torque arm, coil over shocks, 5 lug conversion, 373s eaton rear, 31 spline moser axles, bear brakes all around...

when I got the car it didnt drive very well and engine felt like it was about to vibrate out of the motor mounts at 3500 rpm, after many months of chasing issues and changing parts I finally said to hell with it and replaced the motor,, I decided to put in a 4 bolt 363 stroker which came out of a friends race car, and to that added a 6sp tremec, new drive shaft and a dual disk clutch set up from Mcleod. she is running great now and its much more fun to drive, here are a few pics of the build hope you enjoy

this is how she arrived

then soon the work began

next was the engine had to clean it up a bit and got the brackets powder coated wrinkle black came out pretty good.

changed out the wheels too..

it has been a lot of work over the last year but I finally got the car out last night and hit some gearz and all the late nights were instantly worth it.

even wired a magnetic connector for the charger pretty cool set up if the car stays on the charger a lot

specracer

Re: #966 get a new motor/trans

Post by specracer »

Great looking car bud! Quite a road, glad you have things finally under control.
SVT4942

Post by SVT4942 »

Nice work!! She looks much better with original rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19 Shelby GT350 Ford Performance Blue
93 EY/C6 13C #12
93 RD/DJ #2304
93 RD/DJ 13C #2651 w/ #1138’s (RD/DJ) Drivetrain
93 RD/DJ 13C #4942
buddha

Post by buddha »

Hell ya, now we're talking!

Car looks great! I'm sure it runs damn well too. You doing anything for engine management............tuner or anything?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

its running a custom chip with 4 different tunes( I got from unleashed tunning) Im still sorting out some stuff on the car once its ready I will be dyno tuning it properly ( I did install a wide band so Im keeping an eye on things will I drive it around for now). I still want to change the intake, upper and lower, but have other projects I need to get to first. Its never ending ...
69boss

Post by 69boss »

just picked up a kenne bell, the saga continues....

will keep you guys posted
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

69boss wrote:just picked up a kenne bell, the saga continues....

will keep you guys posted
Did you end up buying the somewhat local one to you? 1.5L or 2.1L version?
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
69boss

Post by 69boss »

found one near Boston and I just had a good friend( who is also on the forum) pick it up for me. should be getting here soon
its a 2.1 with the internal bypass
the guy claimed he has less than 1000 miles on it and I paid what I thought was a very good price.
he included two additional pulleys, all the brackets, some vacuum tree of sorts, hardware, and the belt although i dont think the belt will work with my application he wasnt running his ac and I plan on running mine.

on a side note:
after I put the engine in a month or so ago and drove the car for a while and it felt very strong and I was happy but there was a little shudder and some vague vibration in the driveline when I was in high gear 5th and 6th at low rpms below 3000 when you stepped on the accelarator I would feel it but not cruising

long story short I ended up doing a KOER test and a cyl balance test on it turned out cyl 4 was down due to cracked plug and i had no idea, the car idled fine and it really drove well. needless to say I stuck another plug in it and wow. the thing feels like every bit of at least 400 to the wheels maybe even more. it pulls strong and wouldnt you know it the vibration is all gone.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Just wait till you get that blower on the car, first gear will be waste. Are you gonna do a dyno run before and after the blower?
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
69boss

Post by 69boss »

dyno time is expensive and well time consuming, and I have no real desire to know how much more the sc added to the car and Im not chasing dyno numbers, so the answer is no. we will just dyno it after everything is installed and all the issues are sorted out. next I have to figure out whats wrong w my 6al2 box after i Installed the stroker motor i cant get it to work... so thats next.

Ill be happy if the car is set up righ,t drivable, and safe

whatever it makes it makes, Im not racing this car its just supposed to be fun little street car that will blow the tires off in any gear.

something about having all the torque down low makes a street car super fun to drive.

but I do agree with you about first gear especially with the 373s in the car
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

Pictures are ok to look at, but I want to see some video of this beast in action. Did you follow Mcleod recommendations on clutch break in? And what about break in procedure on the transmission? Is that the T-56? Did you have to deal with checking your new bell house alignment or "run-out"? I only ask because I am currently installing a tko600 into my cobra. I also used a Mcleod rst clutch with a quick time bell. I should have it back on the ground by sunday or maybe sooner, waiting for a slip yoke... MDL sent wrong one and I didn't notice until I was ready to install. I may have more questions along the way... your build is definitely interesting to me, thanks for taking the time to post. Good day my cobra brother!
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
buddha

Post by buddha »

WillyB93 wrote:Just wait till you get that blower on the car, first gear will be waste. Are you gonna do a dyno run before and after the blower?
I put a set of 3.27's in my Red car for just that reason.........to help with the hook. Nothing like matting the gas at 25mph and laying 50ft of black patches without completely smoking the tires! :beer:
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

any question Im more than happy to answer hopefully my journey helps someone else either make good decisions or stay away from making bad ones.

as for break in procedure I did not really follow a strict regimen per say but I did heat cycle the clutch and transmission with some mild street stop and go driving If I had to guess I have probably put 100 miles on the car since the new motor and trans. it all works very well,, there is one little issue back to that later....

I got the trans and clutch from D&D and although I was ready to pull the front cover off the t56 to check for the runout on the bell housing almost anyone I spoke to that had put a new bell and clutch in their car said it was a waste of time (at least with the quick time bell housing) D&D told me the same thing so I took a leap of faith and just made sure everything was new pilot bearing throw out bearing and everything lined up well and it all went in as planned

I was a little worried as mentioned above about the vague vibration in 5th and 6th but that turned out to be a cracked plug so as far as the driveline goes now it is as smooth as any fox I ever remember being in.

there is one issue that is still remaining and has been there since day one. it is that every time I go from first to second it almost seems like the clutch is not engaged all the way because I can feel a little "hit" in the rear end .. it feels very much like if the car is just sitting idling and you try to jam the lever into second gear without the clutch that little hit you feel in the rear is exactly what it feels like as im driving if I engage the clutch and go slowly there is no hIt..

the funny thing is no matter how hard I go it never scratches into second so even though it clearly seems like a clutch issue im not so sure and it doesnt do it in any other gears
69boss

Post by 69boss »

buddha wrote:
WillyB93 wrote:Just wait till you get that blower on the car, first gear will be waste. Are you gonna do a dyno run before and after the blower?
I put a set of 3.27's in my Red car for just that reason.........to help with the hook. Nothing like matting the gas at 25mph and laying 50ft of black patches without completely smoking the tires! :beer:

laying a 50ft black patch of tire? sounds good to me :)
buddha

Post by buddha »

69boss wrote:
buddha wrote:

laying a 50ft black patch of tire? sounds good to me :)
Ha for sure, looks cool as hell in the rear view mirror!!!

I'm probably going to move to hydraulic TOB setup in the red car at some point in time. Just can't get the proper adjustment since I put the TKO, dual McLeod, and QT bellhousing. It works, but just not enough adjustment. This should get rid of any and all issues, so I'll circle back on this at some point in time:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mcleod-hydr ... JkQAvD_BwE
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP