#966 get a new motor/trans

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

Winchester

Re: #966 get a new motor/trans

Post by Winchester »

If you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge?
69boss

Post by 69boss »

No i dont mind at all

it was 700 for the compressor rebuild and another 100 for the drive unit and another 100 for shipping back to me..
Winchester

Post by Winchester »

IMO that's not bad. The original owner put an old ball drive (SN92) on my car and it was $700 parts & labor to rebuild it. That parts kits was $450 and labor was $250. Though that was three years ago.
69boss

Post by 69boss »

Ya I agree,, I didnt think the price was bad and I was surprised they were able to get on it as quickly as they did and return it back to me

I had a whipple rebuilt a few years ago and that was much more.
69boss

Post by 69boss »

its back

now I have to wait on some more hardware as the ones included are not complete and I have decided to convert the car over to r134 since the ac lines need to be changed anyway I ordered the classic air package with all new lines drier and new compressor, they use a sanden type with the fittings in the back of the compressor instead of the stock one with the fittings on top... I think since the ac has to be rotated out this set up will work a little better. Im going to take everything apart and flush the evap core and condenser before putting everything back together..

I will test fit the sc sometime this wknd I think I will have some issues with things lining up as I have the taller Z heads like the TFS and I read that sometimes with the higher port heads there may be issues and to make matters worse Im not even sure if I have a true cobra intake which could also lead to problems with the pulley lining up.. so this wknd ill be test fitting every thing to see how it goes.. but I did weld a second bung on the exhaust so when we go to the dyno its as easy as taking the plug out and screwing in the wideband.. so little bit of progress...

also found out the electric fan controller was mis wired on the car.. its amazing how some people are allowed to work on cars, they wired the controllers ac command to turn on the fans before the ac relay and it was blowing the ac clutch fuse every time the fans would come on, but since there was back flow voltage going through the system every time the fan came on so did the ac clutch.... it was a weird thing to sort out,, figuring out what idiots do is sometimes a lot harder than just starting from scratch. a little bit of clear thinking at the end and we rewired it all correctly after the relay and replaced the fuse now its working as it should.

specracer

Post by specracer »

Quite a project!
69boss

Post by 69boss »

got a bit more done yesterday... still waiting on the ac stuff before installing the sc...

swapped out the battery and cleaned up some of the wiring.

started out like this..

and cleaned up a little..

made a custom harness for my MSD box using factory style connectors now If I want to take the box out its as easy as unplugging it.

all finished up..

69boss

Post by 69boss »

so it begins...

so far I have fitment issues just as I thought because of the higher ford Z heads the supercharger is sitting up a bit more than usual so i had to get a second ps bracket and modify it to work with my set up and it also looks like the sc pulley is not quite lining up with the ac compressor pulley it looks to be one tooth off... I think I have an original cobra lower intake so i dont know why this is the case but I will somehow have to deal with that as well... I wish someone made a pulley that would stick out a bit would solve that issue. Im also converting the ac to r134 so I got new lines and compressor and flushed out the core and condenser so that stuff is ready to go...

another issue is that with the raised heads the sc will not clear the valve covers I had a 3/8 spacer on my intake and its real close but its still touching the valve cover I tried doubling up on the 3/8" spacer for a total 3/4" it cleared the valve cover but the hood wouldnt close so next Im waiting on a 1/2 spacer "and fingers crossed that it will clear the valve cover and still be able to close the hood.... if that doesnt work maybe lowering engine mounts.. IDk....

all in all its been a project but I was prepared for something like this so... the waiting continues a bit longer to get the new spacer to see....

Last edited by 69boss on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
specracer

Post by specracer »

And people wonder why I leave my cars stock.... ha ha.

As Ive said earlier in this thread, quite a project. Will be incredible car.
69boss

Post by 69boss »

part of the fun of modding your car is trying to figure out the "puzzle" and deal with the challenges that come up. I called kenne bell and they actually do make a different size bushing that goes behind the pulley so you can adjust where the pulley lies in relation to the snout. they are sending me a few to try so thats one problem potentially resolved..... now onto others...
specracer

Post by specracer »

Thats a big check mark of issues to solve.
buddha

Post by buddha »

That's interesting with the pulley alignment, sounds like the odd crap I always seem to be the only ever finding!
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

it seems like Im finding all of them....

I just realized that the fuel pressure regulator doesnt clear either so have to deal with that.. I saw some online aeromotive and bbk that looked lower profile than the one I have so I will try those or worse case scenario just stick a stock one on there... if none of them work I may have to rethink the whole fuel lines, rails and regulator and relocate the regulator.. fun times....
69boss

Post by 69boss »

just got off the phone with bbk the one they have is 2.75" tall the one I have in the car is 3.25" Im hoping that the .5" difference will be enough to clear the bottom of the kenne bell intake tube... especially since Ill be getting the new 1/2" spacer to push the sc up a 1/4" more than where it is now. it really is like a puzzle :)
69boss

Post by 69boss »

got the bushings from kenne bell naturally they are the wrong size, so have to wait to see how this is going to play out. I havent even got any word from them, if they can make bushings for my set up.....

finally was able to try fit the whole thing together in the car to check for clearances... for a second there I thought there was no room for the back of the sc to clear the firewall because I have a maximum motorsport cradle and that pushes the engine back a little so I was about to use all the curse words I know until I actually put the whole thing in and it just barely cleared..

I also got the 1/2" spacer and tried that and now the compressor body does clear the valve covers and the hood closes with a 1/4 gap between the hood and top of the sc.. its close but it clears.. next will be to get the fuel pressure regulator to clear then I can start on mocking everything up and start making the vacuum lines and the ac lines.. the fun continues...