Spark plugs

Discussion of anything related to the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra

dustin9187

Spark plugs

Post by dustin9187 »

Looking for some advice/opinions...
Planning on putting new spark plugs in. I'm torn between putting in the updated Motorcraft Platinum SP-493 or NGK IX Iridium 7164.
I've read that the Iridium perform/last longer, but the car wasn't designed/built for Iridium.
Am I way overthinking this?
Black / Grey cloth
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Re: Spark plugs

Post by escogt »

Listen, you love your car so you're not overthinking it. We all do it. But that being said, I'd go with the Motorcraft's. Just my opinion though. I'm sure either will be just fine. Good luck!!!
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
69boss

Post by 69boss »

Id go with the motorcraft. I installed the iridium and didnt like them at all.. car seemed happier with the autolites so I changed back however since its on boost now im running the brisk, they are a little pricey but I have found them to be the most stable and consistent plugs I have ever used. for stock application any regular plug should be fine.
Winchester

Post by Winchester »

Just get whatever you want. Yes iridium and all the other stuff do last longer so new cars don't have to change their plugs as often. That is the sole reason
for any plug that's not copper. Copper does everything better except latsing.
If you are running any type of boost use copper. If the car starts leaning out they should melt (so says the theory) and hopefully
no expensive damage. I don't buy into that but, they do produce better spark by far and are much cheaper.
dustin9187

Post by dustin9187 »

Went with the Motorcraft Platinum SP-493. Installed yesterday. Started right up and sounded good.

Thank you all for the replies.

Now on to doing a coolant flush...
Any tips?
Black / Grey cloth