#2779 goes to the track!

Videos of Cobra's or other related
93svt#2779

#2779 goes to the track!

Post by 93svt#2779 »

Well guys, after I installed the new transmission and clutch, got everything all broken in, I decided #2779 was fit enough for a trip or two down the 1/4 mile track. My local dragstrip, Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Chandler AZ was holding a Friday night drags, so I took her out. Cut me some slack guys, this is my first time ever running a car at a dragstrip. I did get video, so I compiled some clips into a video. I am not looking to be bashed on, but I would like to hear some constructive criticism if you think it would be helpful. Any tips or tricks of the trade to make a quicker pass... I was really hoping to get into the 13's. I realize that a driver mod is in order, I am going to be working on that..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qdsN2xM4w
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
Winchester

Re: #2779 goes to the track!

Post by Winchester »

Your 60' time is killing you. I could not tell what you were launching at but I'd try leaving
at a lower rpm.
Is anything done to it?
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

Winchester wrote:Your 60' time is killing you. I could not tell what you were launching at but I'd try leaving
at a lower rpm.
Is anything done to it?

I can honestly say that I am not launching it at any certain RPM. I was slipping the clutch and feathering the throttle just trying to get the street tires to hook. I was leaving like you might leave a traffic light quickly...lol
As for modifications, it has 4:10 gears, Mcleod rst twin disc clutch, tko 600 transmission, BBK cai and BBk shorty headers to BBK offroad H pipe with flowmaster 40 series. Smog pump delete pully, fluidyne 4 core with dual electric fans. Nothing else that I can think of... it seems to be mostly stock..."ish"..lol
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
buddha

Post by buddha »

Winchester wrote:Your 60' time is killing you.
This. :smokin:

Practicing the launch is the biggest thing. Huge difference from your first time down the track vs. the later ones. Looks like you were having fun, and I've seen a hell of lot worse driving than that, nothing to hang your head low on. Powershift the crap out of that thing.

Not sure what the elevation is at the track, but your MPH is indicative of where it's at. Have you done the normal stuff like bumping the timing up, open intake filter, etc.? I ran the red car once when I had it, bone stock except for exhaust with dumps, 3:73's, and the timing bumped up and was able to crack into the high 13's with it, around 102-3mph. Keep in mine I'm around 600 feet above sea level.

I was never a big fan of the steeper gears like that, but I'd look at your timing, check the TPS voltage, gap the spark plug gaps accordingly.........old school stuff. A sticky set of tires will obviously get you there the easiest.

My first Mustang ran high 12's NA on slicks. It was a little 306 with a GT-40 intake, stock ported heads, exhaust, 3:73's, 5-speed car. Past that, nothing fancy, car was fun as hell on the street.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

buddha wrote:
This. :smokin:

Practicing the launch is the biggest thing. Huge difference from your first time down the track vs. the later ones. Looks like you were having fun, and I've seen a hell of lot worse driving than that, nothing to hang your head low on. Powershift the crap out of that thing.

Not sure what the elevation is at the track, but your MPH is indicative of where it's at. Have you done the normal stuff like bumping the timing up, open intake filter, etc.? I ran the red car once when I had it, bone stock except for exhaust with dumps, 3:73's, and the timing bumped up and was able to crack into the high 13's with it, around 102-3mph. Keep in mine I'm around 600 feet above sea level.

I was never a big fan of the steeper gears like that, but I'd look at your timing, check the TPS voltage, gap the spark plug gaps accordingly.........old school stuff. A sticky set of tires will obviously get you there the easiest.
Thanks for the input and advice. I have gone over this car pretty well and she is running pretty good. I have plans to take off the throttle body this weekend and get it cleaned up real good. While I am under the hood I will check all the plugs and wires again just to make sure nothing has changed. When I first got the car my dad and I checked the timing on it... if I remember right it is set at around 10.5 degrees. I will need to get a timing light and check it again, but to be honest, I am unsure of what I am doing in this area still. I will need to do a bit of research and see what I can dig up.

A couple of things about the conditions I was running in... The elevation at the track is around 1100 feet above sea level. The temp at the track the day I was running was over 95 degrees when we started and probably still over 85 degrees when we were done, it was pretty warm.

I have plans to practice my burnouts and launches. I am thinking that I really wasn't heating these tires up good enough. I was doing my burnout in 1st gear, so I don't think I was making the tires spin fast enough to generate enough heat in the short burnout period. I am going to practice a 2nd gear burnout. While I am at it, I am going to go ahead and attempt some 2nd gear launches as well. Maybe I can shave some time by eliminating one of my shifts. I had thought about throwing some sticky tires on it, but in my eyes that kinda defeats the whole purpose for me. I just want to see how fast it is the way I drive it on the street. I am very confident that with a little practice I can get this car into the 13's.

In the long run it is not really a big deal, it is what it is and I have no plans to change it. I only did this to get some numbers and for fun. I have zero plans or intentions on trying to make this car a fast 1/4 mile car... or a "race car" for that matter...lol
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
buddha

Post by buddha »

Always do you burnouts in 2nd to get the wheel speed up. It'll be easy with the 4.10's...........lol! Keep in mind though, you're really only cleaning these off. "Normal" tires are intended to work at ambient temperatures. You're not wanting to put the same amount of heat into them as say a drag radial or slick. You're still going to want to launch in 1st, don't even try it in 2nd. Just going to have to find the right RPM and clutch slip to make it right.

With the timing, get it up around 14 degrees, that's generally the sweet spot for most of these cars. That alone will net you a noticeable difference if it's not already there.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP