Thoughts on Black Interior on GT/LX foxbodys??

Display Pictures/Videos, have discussions, & post other vehicles for sale here.

Moderators: 1993cobra, WillyB93, BrettT

PonyRyd68

Thoughts on Black Interior on GT/LX foxbodys??

Post by PonyRyd68 »

I recently went to look at a 1966 F100 in SC and ended up buying a 1993 GT 5.0/5speed that I found when I got there.

The car has 107k on the clock but has been sitting a while. I bought it because it was stock except mufflers and had black int.
It needs restoring but I really liked the color combo. I got my Marti report back only to find that it's more rare than my teal/black cobra.

KF=Bright Blue Clearcoat Metallic Paint
YJ=Titanium Lower accent paint
DJ=Black Cloth/Vinyl
C= flip up open air roof

1 of 840 with paint codes
1 of 58 with paint/trim codes

My question to you guys is are we at the point in the foxbody market that paint/interior originality matters on GT / Lx models??
I know that the DJ cobras do better than leather cars. Should this car bring more than a red or black Gt with gray cloth??
1993 Cobra Teal/Black/Hard Top/Early Intake #194
1993 Cobra Teal/Leather/Roof/Stock/#2751
1993 Cobra Red/Leather/Roof #3316(SOLD)
1947 Willys Jeep CJ2A with PTO
1993 Cobra Teal/Cloth/Roof #3639(SOLD)
1993 Cobra Red/cloth/no roof (SOLD)
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Thoughts on Black Interior on GT/LX foxbodys??

Post by Z282SLO »

The Fox bodies are old enough and desirable enough (especially for very well kept or lower mileage examples) that paint/interior originality matters across the board. It just makes a substantially bigger difference in the more collectible and rare model lines like the '93 Cobra, and to a lesser extent, the LX "Special Edition" convertibles and LX notchbacks. IMO the rarity of the interior/exterior color combo of the car you just picked up will provide a modest bump in price over a more standard GT/LX.

That being said, the fact that the GT you found has 107K and "needs restoring" leads me to believe that any bump in price for the rarity of the interior/exterior will be offset by the overall condition of the car and work you'll put into it.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
twocarnuts

Post by twocarnuts »

Great sounding ride..would love to see some pics!!
1993 Teal Cobra #2803
1993 Yellow/Blk Feature
1993 Calypso Metallic Green SSP Coupe
1993 Royal Blue GT hatch (sold)
1990 Ultra Blue GT hatch (rip)
1992 Wild Strawberry GT vert (sold)
1992 Blk/Blk LX hatch (sold)
1990 Black LX vert (sold)
1998 Atlantic Blue Cobra coupe (sold)
1990 Limited vert (rip)
PonyRyd68

Post by PonyRyd68 »

Thanks for the reply Z. I think you are on point about the car. I'm at a cross roads of going ahead and restoring or putting it in the barn for a few years. The paint is baked and tires are dry cracked. It's complete and solid. It would look sharp restored with the factory pony wheels.
I had plans of installing a Cobra rear bumper cover and tail lights but leaving the Gt spoiler. All the vin tags match so I would keep the old parts of course. It looks too boxy with the stock rear cover. I think I will have $10-12k in it done right. Any suggestions on the pitted rear quarter moldings? I don't want the covers,don't like aftermarket because it doesn't say "Mustang". Can some kind of epoxy or filler be put in them and still look correct? I'm sure there is a thread for that question but any suggestions would help.
1993 Cobra Teal/Black/Hard Top/Early Intake #194
1993 Cobra Teal/Leather/Roof/Stock/#2751
1993 Cobra Red/Leather/Roof #3316(SOLD)
1947 Willys Jeep CJ2A with PTO
1993 Cobra Teal/Cloth/Roof #3639(SOLD)
1993 Cobra Red/cloth/no roof (SOLD)