My "new" toy.

Display Pictures/Videos, have discussions, & post other vehicles for sale here.

Moderators: 1993cobra, WillyB93, BrettT

Goose17

Re: My "new" toy.

Post by Goose17 »

So, after yesterday's failed attempt at passing inspection due to the misfire code popping back up and sensors not ready, I swapped the plugs (kept the originals since I don't think it was a spark issue). I also dumped quite a bit of Seafoam into the tank. I assumed the misfire was caused by injector issues from the old gas, but I didn't want to keep repeating the "drive-cycle," so I changed the plugs too just to cover my bases. This morning, I cleared the misfire code one more time with the handheld that Catmonkey sent me (Thanks again John!). I then hit the road with "drive-cycle" instructions in hand. It involves a bunch of specific requirements... Idle for 15 seconds, accelerate to 45 mph using 1/2 throttle 4 times, accelerate to 65 then close the throttle and decelerate to 45 without using brakes - repeat 3 more times, cruise at 45 mph for 10 minutes, etc, etc, etc! Normal driving around town eventually resets all of the monitors, but I was interested in getting them ready for inspection with the least amount of miles screwing around. After a monotonous drive, I hit the inspection station to check the status of the sensors. All but one were back-up and running. The inspector said it will pass with 1 "not ready,' so it was time... I did the lights/horn/accel/stop test for him and then backed it into the test slot. I felt like a nervous parent waiting on a report for my misbehaving kid, but I got the good news... IT PASSED! Two days and 45 miles later, I can now register the car and pay more money (taxes).

On the way home, I did a little burst in 2nd/3rd. I didn't want to get too crazy since I was driving around town with a Montana vanity plate sans registration stickers.

From this morning:

Pulled in and inspector used his hand-held scanner to confirm the car was ready to be tested:

After the lights/horn/accel/stop test, I backed it in to be analyzed:

I think I peed a little when the "passed" paper printed out!

During the drive back to the bat cave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i71vYaoedzY
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

All that for a car you'll barely be driving? Doesn't Texas have a 'collector car' designation that exempts you from those inspection hassles?
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Z282SLO wrote:All that for a car you'll barely be driving? Doesn't Texas have a 'collector car' designation that exempts you from those inspection hassles?
Possibly, but not sure. I'm assuming you cannot drive it on the roads if there was such a deal. I plan to drive mine once-in-awhile.
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Goose17 wrote:
Z282SLO wrote:All that for a car you'll barely be driving? Doesn't Texas have a 'collector car' designation that exempts you from those inspection hassles?
Possibly, but not sure. I'm assuming you cannot drive it on the roads if there was such a deal. I plan to drive mine once-in-awhile.
Vehicles designated as 'collector cars' in my state can be driven on the roads up to 3000 miles every two years. I'm guessing Texas has something similar. However, since you already went to so much trouble, wait until the next inspection is due before checking the Texas DMV website. ;)

And tell the inspector to smile next time!
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

I spent the full day giving the R some love. This morning was devoted to getting the R to pass inspection. That victory made me want to break out into my Ed Grimly dance.

The rest of the day involved another coat of Argos (Liquid Glass Legend version 2.0) and then removing the wheels for some cleaning. I cleaned the inside of the wheels, hit them with traditional Liquid Glass and then went to town cleaning everything I could reach in the wheel well. One big downside to sticky tires is they grab every freak'n pebble and toss them into the wheel wells. After vibrating a bunch loose with my orbital polisher and getting a bunch more when I cleaned the wells, I have a BUNCH of little rocks in my garage. The suspension (what I could reach), the brakes, brake ducts, and wheels are now as clean as they could be.

Pics:

Still haven't polished the splitter (tomorrow).

Right/rear:

Insides are clean!

Left front. You can see the brake cooling duct that goes to the carbon fiber cooling surround (not seen):

Right front:

Mission complete!

dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

Very nice!!
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
specracer

Post by specracer »

In the process of driving ours as I need a state inspection, and had the battery out of it. I'll confess I've done all the same cleaning.
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Finished the detailing today and took some pics and video with my iPad. Through the magic of iMovie, I made this tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eSaa39Oww