Side molding cleaning.

Tips and tricks for cleaning and detailing
jsmithgt500

Side molding cleaning.

Post by jsmithgt500 »

I have seen posts awhile back about how to clean the body colored side moldings on our car. I can not seem to find it now. I believe since they were molded in the body color they can be cleaned with lacquer. Any advice on how to keep them looking fresh?

Thanks!
WillyB93

Re: Side molding cleaning.

Post by WillyB93 »

Here is the link to one of many: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6907&hilit=moulding+cleaning
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
jsmithgt500

Post by jsmithgt500 »

Thank you. I knew it was here somewhere.
TEAL93COBRA3279

Post by TEAL93COBRA3279 »

Honda Polish works awesome, used it for years on my gsxr 1000, takes bugs off very well also. Tried it on my side molding and it took all the sticky and black off them. To say the least I was very happy.

Honda SPRAY CLEANER POLISH 08732-SCP00
jsmithgt500

Post by jsmithgt500 »

TEAL93COBRA3279 wrote:Honda Polish works awesome, used it for years on my gsxr 1000, takes bugs off very well also. Tried it on my side molding and it took all the sticky and black off them. To say the least I was very happy.

Honda SPRAY CLEANER POLISH 08732-SCP00

The door moldings are getting very sticky and a little dull. I tried what was mentioned in the linked post, but it doesn't work. Would there be any other tricks to get them to not be gummy and shine? Would the Honda cleaner work or are they beyond help at this point and I might as well have some new ones painted and installed??

Thank you!!
TEAL93COBRA3279

Post by TEAL93COBRA3279 »

Sorry to hear it did not work on yours, it worked great on mine, so who knows. I'll try to take a pic of the can i used to see if what you used was different.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I've got the famous sticky teal moldings too, I've cleaned them a few times over the years. The last time I used spray bug and tar remover, (spray on the trim, let sit a few minutes, work it off with a rag soaked in it) which cleaned the crud off pretty well, but left them very tacky. To remedy that, I used WD-40 sprayed heavily in a rag and wiped them down. That took care of it, but a few weeks later, they are getting tacky again - although not dirty/cruddy. It is solvents in the material outgassing, and after 24 years, you would figure it would have stopped by now. It is worse in the summer months, the trim stays nice in the cooler months.
69boss

Post by 69boss »

someone might want to try some ceramic coating stuff on there.

I might do that when I get the chance

I have used the cq guartz stuff on some other pieces and it seems to make them nice and slick I dont know how long it will last though
Winchester

Post by Winchester »

69boss wrote:someone might want to try some ceramic coating stuff on there.

I might do that when I get the chance

I have used the cq guartz stuff on some other pieces and it seems to make them nice and slick I dont know how long it will last though
I don't believe that would work. Would be like painting over rust. The plastic is decomposing.