Cleaning engine compartment

Tips and tricks for cleaning and detailing

Cleaning engine compartment

Post by Guest »

Whats the best way to clean/detail your engine? What do I have to cover up? Can I use a power washer or should I just use a garden hose? Keep the car running or off? Any idea's?? Thanks.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

I WOULD KEEP THE CAR OFF, USE A PRESSURE WASHER TO CLEAN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

I would also go drive the car and get it to operating temp to help soften up some of the grime in there.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
Black306

Post by Black306 »

I should have taken before and after photos. I just did my wife's 91 vert the other day.

Step 1: start with a stone cold engine, as if parked overnight

Step 2: cover open air filters and crank case breathers.

Step 3: use 1 full can of Gunk Engine Foamy Bright, not the regular stuff.

stand in different areas in front of the engine to make sure you get as much of the engine bay as possible.

Step 4: close the hood and let sit for 10 mins.

Step 5: rinse off the Gunk with running water (I typically don't suggest pressurized water because then you are increasing the chance of the water going where it shouldn't; IE withing electrical connections)

Step 6: spray Armor All Tire Foam, yes Tire Foam.

do this in the same manor as the Engine Gunk.

Step 7: run the car for 10-15 mins.

Step 8: pop the hood and be amazed

This is my wife's 143k mile 91 GT. The upper intake has been off only once for valve cover gasket replacement. So there has never been a "detailed" cleaning.
Derek
WestCoastFords.com

'03 Cobra / '01 Focus S2

"Bottles are for babies...real men get blown."
OLLETT

Post by OLLETT »

I agree with Black306 about the high pressure hose. And the other thing I want to add is about the cleaning chemical you may want to use. Gunk Degreaser is good but the petroleum based cleaners they make may not be best for your car. I think their great don't get me wrong but they are kind of harsh cleaners. They're good for farm trucks and tractors, not our cared for engine bays. The kind you want to find is a citrus based cleaner. It's not hard on finishes and won't dry hoses and leave everything chalky looking. Gunk makes a citrus based cleaner.
Well that's what I use but the others are still good too.
Cobra4683

Post by Cobra4683 »

Pressure will remove the paint form the cobra intake plaque. Thrust me.
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

I use the tire degreaser selection at the local car wash and rinse with the car running. I do squeeze the high pressure when rinsing BUT I do not focus in one area or aim close to anything. Basically hold the nozzle at least 2-3 feet off the top of the engine and sweep rinse the soap off.

Drive it back home throw some son of a gun foam tire stuff all over the engine. Drive it for a day or two, raise the hood and it looks very good.
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)
laz2447

Post by laz2447 »

def use a pressure washer...and whatever form of degreaser your comfortable with using...

there are a few that are harsh and will leave hoses white or even turn them a shade of purple...so make sure you think through if your willing to take that chance...

we use a heavy duty degreaser and it does have a tendency to turn hoses white and fade out some plastic...

good luck though!
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Re: Cleaning engine compartment

Post by vinchez78 »

Used purple power for the engine just a test run cleaning, sprayed and wiped off most of the grease out the engine bay, so running water to the engine doesn't damage anything there? Just being cautious of my engine being my first cobra and never cleaned an engine bay before, so degrease and rinse and no damage to engine, correct??
BLK on Leather
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Vin only clean it when the motor is dead cold. If your coil cover and dist cover is still intact you should be fine. I use a all purpose degreaser I get from the supply company that comes around. Keep the fenders wet in case you get some on it an rinse immediate if you do.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Thanks Freek, would like to get it clean enough to get in a local car show Saturday, The Snake said he'll bring his 92 cobra vert to the show too
BLK on Leather
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

vinchez78 wrote:Thanks Freek, would like to get it clean enough to get in a local car show Saturday, The Snake said he'll bring his 92 cobra vert to the show too
Wish I could join you guys. Have fun Vin & Snake!! Don't forget, take lots of pictures.
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

escogt wrote:
vinchez78 wrote:Thanks Freek, would like to get it clean enough to get in a local car show Saturday, The Snake said he'll bring his 92 cobra vert to the show too
Wish I could join you guys. Have fun Vin & Snake!! Don't forget, take lots of pictures.
Sure will Pablo
BLK on Leather
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

vinchez78 wrote:
escogt wrote:
Sure will Pablo

:beer:
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
psucobra

Post by psucobra »

I've always gotten good results using Simple Green. Spay it on a cold engine, let it set 15 minute or so and rinse off with the hose. I follow up with CD-2 Engine Detailer.