how to clean underhood aluminum?

Tips and tricks for cleaning and detailing
1993cobra
Site Admin

how to clean underhood aluminum?

Post by 1993cobra »

anyone got any tips on cleaning aluminum parts underhood , such as alternators, a/c compressor, and other various parts? just want to get that stuff a nice new look instead of being dull and dark like it is now. Ive tried aluminum wheel cleaner in the past , it cleans well but as soon as it dries its darker than it was before!
buddha

Post by buddha »

Sand blast it with baking soda. I know there is othe media that will work as well also, just can't be too harsh. Really the only thing that works will that I know of.

I've done some things with Muratic acid mixed with water, though you have to be really careful with that stuff.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
k98dave

Post by k98dave »

Most of the under hood alum is rough cast and somewhat porous as looks were not concern on these. They get pitted (alum oxidation) and cleaners just stick to the surface and make it look worse. The "POR" brand "alum cast" works good and its hard as nails once it dries. Another way is the high heat alum paint
K98Dave
88 LX hatch -(SOLD
1984 SVO number 110 (SOLD)
93 Cobra Blk# 2100 Still a Virgin- No Mods
95 Lightning (SOLD)
86 LX Restoration in work)
2013 F150 Reg cab Short Bed 5.0
93 Venom

Post by 93 Venom »

k98dave wrote:Most of the under hood alum is rough cast and somewhat porous as looks were not concern on these. They get pitted (alum oxidation) and cleaners just stick to the surface and make it look worse. The "POR" brand "alum cast" works good and its hard as nails once it dries. Another way is the high heat alum paint
X2. I just repaint all my stuff like alt, and brackets. Yes it a pain but just think winter is coming and when you are done with painting and polishing. It's SPRING TIME!
93 cobra #4464 Red / Gray Cloth / Sunroof
2011 GT500 Race Red/ silver strips/ Glassroof
69 vert Mustang Candy apple red / white Top
82 GT T-Tops (SOLD)
91 5.0 LX (SOLD)
04 Mach 1 Screaming Yellow (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

well i used some stuff called white ox, i bought at harbor freight. it is hydroflouric acid made to remove rust stains from paint and other things. it cleaned it nicely , and didnt turn it too dark looks ok. and i know truckers use a acid wash on aluminum trailers leaves a nice clean dull finish. maybe willyb knows about that?? willy?
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

1993cobra wrote:well i used some stuff called white ox, i bought at harbor freight. it is hydroflouric acid made to remove rust stains from paint and other things. it cleaned it nicely , and didnt turn it too dark looks ok. and i know truckers use a acid wash on aluminum trailers leaves a nice clean dull finish. maybe willyb knows about that?? willy?
They use a acid form to clean trucks, like budda said it can be pretty tough on the dirt. But could be harmful on other parts though.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

Muratic will eat right through rust, leaving bare metal behind, but will litterly dissolve aluminum. It's what you use to etch concrete as well.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

the acid i used is hydroflouric its what the big truck companies use to clean fuel tanks and aluminum trailers. spray it on and wash it off . im just not sure what percent mine is? i hear they dilute theirs like 33 to 1. it turned out ok, ill get pics tomorrow.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

oh and the steel a/c power steering brkt is also got surface rust , the same acid lightened it up alot but not completely, i might spray it some more tomorrow also.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

I see you finally got it out for a cruise post some pictures of her all cleaned up.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Only took a few pic, I haven't really cleaned under the hood yet, I post some in the pic section later
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I used to work in a clean room in the semiconductor industry, and we used hydrofluoric (HF) acid to etch the silicone. It's extremely dangerous, it can go through your skin, leaving it intact, and dissolve your bones. I wouldn't go anywhere near it without full industrial acid gear.

I would remove the aluminum and steel parts and glass bead them. Quick, easy, and gets to clean metal in no time. The aluminum stays natural, the steel can be clear coated with lacquer or urethane.

-MJS

Post by #2098 »

wonder how coca-cola would work? it takes blood off the highways and will take black finish off of golf clubs.
1968 GT Coupe (sold)
1993 SVT Cobra #2098
2002 GT Convertible (sold)
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

#2098 wrote:wonder how coca-cola would work? it takes blood off the highways and will take black finish off of golf clubs.
Crazy it doesnt tear your insides up :shock:
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP

Post by #2098 »

The acids in your stomach is much stronger than coke
It does remove rust though....

1. Remove grease stains from clothing and fabric (I had to start there)
2. Remove rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil.
3. Remove blood stains from clothing and fabric.
4. Make gooey Coke funnel cakes .
5. Clean oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.
6. Loosen a rusty bolt; pour on some Coke and wait for the magic to happen.
7. Kill slugs and snails; a small bowl of Coke will attract them, the acid will kill them.
8. Help a lawn become lush and green (see my lawn tonic article here )
9. Prevent an asthma attack! Apparently, the caffeine in two 12oz cans can prevent the onset of an attack.
10. Defrost a frozen windshield. Apply liberally and wait (I’ll see if this works in winter)
11. Clean burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.
12. Descale a kettle using the same method in 11.
13. Neutralize a jellyfish sting.
14. Clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.
15. Cure nausea; let a can of Coke go flat then take a teaspoon of Coke every hour.
16. Also, flat coke can help relieve an upset stomach (aka “the runs”)
17. Make a Mentos & Coke exploding fountain. This one takes a 2-liter bottle of Coke.
18. Get rid of hiccups; gargle with a big mouthful of ice-cold Coke.
19. Shake up a can and pour it over your windshield to remove bugs and other crud.
20. Use the method in 19 for your car bumpers, too.
21. Clean your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades.
22. Relieve congestion; boil and a can of Coke and drink while hot to clear you up.
23. Make a sweet BBQ sauce. Mix a can of Coke with ketchup and brush over ribs or chicken.
24. Baste a ham roast with Coke as it cooks. The sugars will caramelize; the ham will be moist.
25. Add a can of coke to your pot roast to tenderize it and add extra flavor. (Thanks Linsey).
26. Make pretty pennies; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.
27. Make your hair curly; pour flat Coke onto long hair, leave for a few minutes then rinse.
28. Age documents and photos; for that antique look, apply Coke, pat with paper, leave to dry.
29. Clean tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.
30. Mix a can of Coke with a packet of Italian seasoning; cook a tough steak in it.
31. Make better compost; Coke increases the acidity, adds sugars and feeds microorganisms.
32. Dissolve a tooth in it; Use a sealed container, this takes ages. Why would you want to though, unless you’re Hannibal Lecter?
33. Remove gum from hair; dip into a small bowl of Coke, leave a few minutes. Gum will wipe off.
34. Get silky skin; mix a spoonful of Coke with regular lotion and apply liberally.
35. Make low-fat brownies .
36. Pour a little in a cup and set it out an hour before a picnic, away from your site; it will attract wasps and bees so they’re not bugging you and your grub.
37. Remove stains from vitreous china. More info on vitreous materials here .
38. Got a dirty pool? Add two 2-liter bottles of Coke to clear up the water (it acts as rust remover).
39. Add Coke to your laundry to remove bad smells, especially fish.
40. Remove (or fade) dye from hair by pouring diet Coke over it.
41. Mop a floor with Coke to make it sticky. It’s a movie industry trick to stop actors slipping.
42. Remove marker stains from carpet. Apply Coke, scrub, then clean with soapy water.
43. Clean a toilet; pour around bowl, leave for a while, flush clean.
44. Apply to skin for a deep tan (although this seems like a recipe for skin cancer to me).
45. Supposedly, drinking an 8oz can of Coke every day can prevent kidney stones.
46. Add it to a Sloppy Joe mix
47. Perk up your Azaleas or Gardenias.
48. Coke and aluminum foil will bring Chrome to a high shine.
49. Strip paint off metal furniture; soak a towel in Coke, sit it on the surface for days. Make sure you keep adding Coke to keep the towel wet. (Seems like a hassle, I’d rather buy paint stripper.)
50. Add it to vodka, rum or bourbon.
51. Drink it straight from the can, if you can (too sweet for me)
1968 GT Coupe (sold)
1993 SVT Cobra #2098
2002 GT Convertible (sold)