Paint over spray clay barred and full paint correction.

Tips and tricks for cleaning and detailing
Goose17

Paint over spray clay barred and full paint correction.

Post by Goose17 »

Just finished a long 3-day project and lost track of how many hours this took me.

Long story short, my elderly neighbor's son spray painted their boat dock white. My house was down wind and everything got blanketed in overspray. My 02 GT was outside in my carport uncovered and got the worst of it. The wife's Tahoe got it pretty bad as well (both black cars). The Terminator was in the garage with the door open and under an indoor car cover, but managed to get a little through the cover. The Shelby escaped free and clear.

With the wife and kids out of town for a few days, I had lots of time to tackle the 02, but MAN, did that take a LOT of time!

Thanks to KodiakMustang's recent thread about clear coat over spray removal, I thought I'd give clay barring a shot at removal. It worked like a champ! It was not quick by any means, but with a bunch of detail spray and a bunch of rubbing, it all came off of the paint and glass. There is still quite a bit on the textured plastic (like the mirrors), but I need to research what works best on that.

My 02 is my "rain Stang" and airport car. Whenever it is raining, or I'm heading to the airport on a trip, that is my ride. At the airport, it sits under a cover while the wind beats it. The car has over 80,000 miles and the paint is not perfect, but after clay barring all the over spray away, I could see all the scratches and dove head first into a full car correction. I started with 3000 grit foam-backed wet sandpaper on my Griot's DA polishers. I didn't wet sand the whole car, only the trouble spots. Next step was Meguiar's medium cut compound with my Griot's orange pad. Step 3 was Meguair's fine cut compound on an orange pad. I skipped the Meguair's swirl remover compound since the paint looked pretty good at this stage. Step 4 was Liquid Glass precleaner applied with a Griot's red pad and finally step 5 was Liquid Glass polish applied with a red pad.

Some pictures:

The white over spray:

Top of fender clay barred next to over spray covered hood:

The clay bar worked very well on glass too. Here the forward glass has been cleaned with the rear 1/4 window still covered:

Back glass before:

After:

Fender before claying:

Post claying, but before paint correction:

After paint correction:

Roof before claying:

Roof after correction:

One motivation I had to do all this work was, this car will be going to my oldest when he turns 16 next Spring, which he is unaware of.:)
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Re: Paint over spray clay barred and full paint correction.

Post by escogt »

Nice job, Goose. That overspray would have made me quite upset.
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

X2. I would have had the cars professionally detailed and sent your inconsiderate neighbor the bill! :evil:
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

Z282SLO wrote:X2. I would have had the cars professionally detailed and sent your inconsiderate neighbor the bill! :evil:
Absolutely!!! :pissed:
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Wow, someone would have had a discussion from me. In a nice way. But their homeowner's insurance would be covering the fix. Looks like you are doing a good job.

That is an unbelievable amount of overspray.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy