Good job on the pic though!
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Thanks Kev. On all my other Mustangs the post closest to the interior of the car has had the positive cable and all the other power sources on it. In the drawing it looks exactly opposite. Damn, I wish I still had the other car to compare it to. I worked on it all day today and still can't get the starter to engage. I thinking more and more that this alarm in it is my problem.
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold
93 Cobra Black #3503 Sold

Looking for one again!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

I dont really think it will matter which side of solenoid you use , because all the solenoid does is connect the two terminals internally, just like a switch. Also even if you have an alarm you should be able to make the engine turn over from under the hood with a screwdriver as I said above. Just touch the small terminal to the large terminal on the battery cable side of the solenoid. Then it should turn over or at least click. try that and let me know.
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

It clicks but that's it. Even when I do the screwdriver trick. I'm just lost with this one. :roll:
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
rufus

Just an idea....

Post by rufus »

Black93svt -

Have you tried checking the current draw from the positive battery cable to the starter while someone turns the key? It's better to test with an inductive tester, but you can also get an idea by turning the headlights on and see if they dim when trying to crank. This (low current/dim lights) indicate there's extra resistance somwhere in that circuit. i.e. corroded connection, broken wires in cable, etc.

Hang in there, you'll get it figured out! Please keep us updated what you find.......

Best Regards,
Bob S.
BADBOY

Re: Just an idea....

Post by BADBOY »

rufus wrote:Black93svt -

Have you tried checking the current draw from the positive battery cable to the starter while someone turns the key? It's better to test with an inductive tester, but you can also get an idea by turning the headlights on and see if they dim when trying to crank. This (low current/dim lights) indicate there's extra resistance somwhere in that circuit. i.e. corroded connection, broken wires in cable, etc.

Hang in there, you'll get it figured out! Please keep us updated what you find.......

Best Regards,
Bob S.
He doesnt need a second person, just lay a screw driver across the solenoid.

He can watch as he does it himself.

Just a thought.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Yep, I have tried everything. There is no draw on the thing at all. When the solenoid clicks the lights don't go dim.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

The solenoid could be bad too.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

One last thing to help. Try the solenoid along with the positive battery cable off your other car, just to eleminate that. you already checked the starter so the only thing left would be the cable from the starter to the solenoid. As long as the battery is fully charged it will have to start.
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

It's at a shop now. I took the starter, solenoid, cables everything out my my 92 GT which I know works. Solenoid just clicked again. So after 2 weeks of fighting it I gave up. I'll let everyone know what the problem was once it's fixed.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!