Starter Problem...HELP!

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
black93svt

Starter Problem...HELP!

Post by black93svt »

Trying to get my teal car rolling. Can't get power to the starter. The solenoid clicks and there is power to it. Replaced it and didn't fix the problem. Replaced the positive cable, no dice. Is there any chance that the starter cable has a short in it? I'm at a loss and have tried to think of anything else but I've been working on it for 3 days and haven't solved anything.

Any ideas?
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold
93 Cobra Black #3503 Sold

Looking for one again!
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Oh yeah and I took the starter back out, had it checked and it's fine.
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

1. the battery is too weak
2. the engine is either locked-up or very hard to turn over.

try to turn the engine over by hand , using the crank pulley or flywheel
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

1993cobra wrote:1. the battery is too weak
2. the engine is either locked-up or very hard to turn over.

try to turn the engine over by hand , using the crank pulley or flywheel
yep
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Nope, brand new battery and the engine is free. Took a voltmeter and I have power to the solenoid but not the the starter.
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Did you actually turn the engine since this problem? to be sure? A friend of mine had the same problem , He said his was also fine, So I tied to turn it using a 1/2 breaker on the crank and it was a no go, he was shocked to say the least. He had bought the engine used and never tried it , just assumed if someone sold it , it must be good. But if your battery is good and the starter is good it has to start. Get a voltmeter and check for batt. voltage going to the solenoid and then check the starter side while you turn the ignition switch to start, see if you are getting battery voltage, if yes check the same at the starter itself. is the soleniod hooked up properly? can you get a pic of it and post it?
rufus

Clutch Switch.......nevermind!!

Post by rufus »

Isn't there a clutch-mounted switch that must be closed before power goes to the starter? Have you checked that out??

Best Regards,
Bob S.

P.S. Sorry, I just noticed you said that the solenoid is getting voltage and clicks......please disregards my post. I was in too much of a hurry, and should have read this thread more carefully before replying.
Last edited by rufus on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

black93svt wrote:Nope, brand new battery and the engine is free. Took a voltmeter and I have power to the solenoid but not the the starter.
Try checking the wire from the solenoid to the starter, and see where the voltage is lost. It might be broken some where.

You need to check the ground terminal on the battery and the block.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered a new starter cable from Ford. Picking it up tomorrow and we'll see what happens. If that doesn't work I don't know what's wrong.

This car has an alarm on it. Could that have anything to do with it?
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

1993cobra wrote:Did you actually turn the engine since this problem? to be sure? A friend of mine had the same problem , He said his was also fine, So I tied to turn it using a 1/2 breaker on the crank and it was a no go, he was shocked to say the least. He had bought the engine used and never tried it , just assumed if someone sold it , it must be good. But if your battery is good and the starter is good it has to start. Get a voltmeter and check for batt. voltage going to the solenoid and then check the starter side while you turn the ignition switch to start, see if you are getting battery voltage, if yes check the same at the starter itself. is the soleniod hooked up properly? can you get a pic of it and post it?
The only thing that should be hooked to the one side of the solenoid is the small ground wire running to the starter correct? The main cable should be on the hot side?
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

there is no ground wire going to the solenoid. the small push-on wire comes from the ignition swicth, one side has the battery cable along with some other power feed wires, the other side is the cable going to the starter.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

1993cobra wrote:there is no ground wire going to the solenoid. the small push-on wire comes from the ignition swicth, one side has the battery cable along with some other power feed wires, the other side is the cable going to the starter.
Hes right
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

OK, my bad. I looked at my 92 GT yesterday which has the same starter and figured out that the previous owner of this teal car had the cable on the wrong side of the solenoid. Problem fixed right? Nope!! :evil: I switched the cable over onto the correct side and still no luck. This is getting very frustrating!!
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold

Looking for one again!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Ok, disconnect everything from the solenoid. Then connect the battery cable to one side, connect the starter cable to the other side. Now use a screw driver and jump across from the small stud over to the side with the battery cable . What happens? (the engine should turn over) let me know what happens, what sounds etc. lastly you could use a set of jumper cable , use both red clamps, connect one to the battery side of solenoid, and with the other red clamp , quickly and firmly hold it it to the starter side ( it will probably make a arc , but hold it and see if the engine tries to turn?
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

maybe these diagrams will help. I am not an artist so no comments please.Image