Clutch noise

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A

Clutch noise

Post by Guest »

My cobra only has 19K miles, its mint. I noticed when I push the clutch pedal in just a hair, I hear this chatter/squeak noise??? It only does it when its pushed in a hair tho? Its loudest when the engine is cold. Anyone know whats wrong?
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

It is probably just the release bearing "throw-out bearing" and will probably last a long time that way.

Post by Guest »

I've talked to some people about it today. It seems to be the point wear the shift fork and pivot ball meet. It probably became dry and needs to be greased. I seen other fourms online where people are complaining of the same noise.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

Grease it and let us know if that fixed the noise.

Be sure to use bearing grease.

If that dont work it might be the throw out bearing like Kevin said.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
SVT93BLACKSNAKEFL

Sounds like the throwout bearing

Post by SVT93BLACKSNAKEFL »

Make sure when you replace it, you get a good quality heavy duty replacement, so you won't be doing this replacement again soon. Trust me it is no fun... If it is squeaking, I would replace it now, instead of waiting for the bearing to come apart... you should hear the noise it makes then! :)

Post by Guest »

I want to udate my noise problem.. When the car is running in neutral with the parking brake set, u can hear a very faint chirping noise, when you rev the motor in neutral the noise gets faster and louder?? Then when you put the clutch in the noise disappers?? I haven't had a chance to take it to a shop yet.. I don't understand how it could be the throwout bearing if its making noise in neutral with the clutch not being depressed??
SVT1993

Post by SVT1993 »

Sounds like something is mis-aligned. This could include worn parts. I bet when you take it apart, you will see this "chirping noise" as wear on some part. It could be something as simple as a clutch adjustment, as the throw out bearing could be resting, just barely, on the presuure plate causing this noise.

I think all the previous replies are very helpful, though it sounds like you won't find out what it is until you pull it apart.
1993 Black Cobra #1060
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

Its either the throw out bearing or the brass bushing in the end of the crankshaft. The input shaft of the trans rides on it.
Last edited by BADBOY on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE
QWKSNKE

Post by QWKSNKE »

its the throw out bearing. If its just a faint noise then don't worry about it until you do a clutch change. I wouldn't drop the tranny just for a slightly noise throw out bearing.

If you decide to, go ahead and install a good clutch at the same time
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)
rufus

Clutch Noise

Post by rufus »

[quote="SNAKENOISE"]I want to udate my noise problem.. When the car is running in neutral with the parking brake set, u can hear a very faint chirping noise, when you rev the motor in neutral the noise gets faster and louder?? Then when you put the clutch in the noise disappers?? I haven't had a chance to take it to a shop yet.. I don't understand how it could be the throwout bearing if its making noise in neutral with the clutch not being depressed??[/quote]

This sounds a little like my '93 Cobra's throwout bearing which needed replacement under warranty after only 9000 miles. It made a faint noise when the clutch was all the way out, and you could feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal. I seem to recall there were certain engine speeds where the noise was most pronounced.....

When they showed me bearing, I couldn't see anything wrong or feel any bearing roughness, but the symptoms went away and have never returned (knock wood......I'm still on the original clutch at 198,500 miles.)

If I remember correctly, unlike traditional clutch release bearings, the stock '93 bearing is constantly under a minimal pressure. i.e. There's no running clearance, and it continues to rotate even with the cluch out.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the throwout bearing. Please let us know what you learn.

Best Regards,
Bob S.
rufus

Transmission Pilot Bearing

Post by rufus »

BADBOYSPACK wrote:Its either the throw out bearing or the brass bushing in the end of the crankshaft. The input shaft of the trans rides on it.
I thought the needle bearing type pilot bearing that I put in my ERA Cobra was from the '93 Cobra..........i.e I thought the pilot bearing in our '93 Cobras was a needle bearing design rather than just a bushing.....

Best,
Bob S.

Post by Guest »

I took my car to a superb transmission shop today. The owner listened to my car making the ticking noise in neutral. He told me he was pretty sure the noise is coming from a clutch finger riding on the throwout bearing. Either way I have to get a new clutch. I'm going to get a king cobra.
QWKSNKE

Re: Transmission Pilot Bearing

Post by QWKSNKE »

rufus wrote:
BADBOYSPACK wrote:Its either the throw out bearing or the brass bushing in the end of the crankshaft. The input shaft of the trans rides on it.
I thought the needle bearing type pilot bearing that I put in my ERA Cobra was from the '93 Cobra..........i.e I thought the pilot bearing in our '93 Cobras was a needle bearing design rather than just a bushing.....

Best,
Bob S.
That is correct rufus. It is a needle bearing designed bushing
93 Cobra
84 SVO

www.streetstangs.net (pushrod/modmotor/ EEC tech forums)
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

Its been a long time since I was messing with a manual trans, what do I know !

LOL
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE