H Pipe Change

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
OL' LETT

H Pipe Change

Post by OL' LETT »

I was thinking about taking the stock H Pipe with the 4 cats off, and replacing it with an off road H Pipe. If I did this would it start a new world of problems for me with the "Check Engine" light coming on? Also, if this is possible I was looking for a style of muffler that I could get less restriction from, but at the same time keep the volume and sound of the stock mufflers. Lastly, I have read that Ford manufactured the Cobra with a quick shifter. So my question is, are those that came stock far behind in performance compared to the aftermarket shifters? If anyone has any suggestions or experience with these matters I would appreciate your response. :)
black93svt

Post by black93svt »

I had no trouble with the check engine light with an off-road pipe on my car. As for the shifter I don't think there was any difference between a Cobra and regular GT shifter. I have a Pro 5.0 base with a stock handle adapted to it and I love it.
93 Cobra Teal #574 Sold
93 Cobra Black #3503 Sold

Looking for one again!
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

no the check engine light will not come on, I just put my h-pipe on last week and the cat back flowmasters were already there, sounds great

The stock shifter sucks, if you go to slam 3rd, it feels like its getting stuck, or like your bending soft metal if your not perfectly lined up

I would love to find a deal on the pro 5.0 one, if you know of one, let me know :arrow:
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
93Snake

Post by 93Snake »

I had problems with offroad exhaust on another 5.0, but I found out some time after I bought it, that it did not have O2 sensors. So the Check engine light stayed on all the time. As long as you keep your sensors, you should not have a problem. My Cobra has the offroad H-pipe and the Check Engine light never comes on.
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

93Snake wrote:I had problems with offroad exhaust on another 5.0, but I found out some time after I bought it, that it did not have O2 sensors. So the Check engine light stayed on all the time. As long as you keep your sensors, you should not have a problem. My Cobra has the offroad H-pipe and the Check Engine light never comes on.
Excuse me, I was taking the os sensors as a givin, and I would hope people would NEVER buy a h-pipe without the O2 sensor holes, unless its a carb engine
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE
OLLETT

Post by OLLETT »

I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I've heard about some similiar situations with other cars, but it's assuring to get feedback from other COBRA owners.

Thanks again,

OL' LETT
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

OLLETT wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I've heard about some similiar situations with other cars, but it's assuring to get feedback from other COBRA owners.

Thanks again,

OL' LETT
Y/W, AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM OL'LETT
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
#195 - 1 of 185
MY 93 SNAKE