instrument gauge bulbs

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

instrument gauge bulbs

Post by Doughrat19 »

Anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get to the bubs behind the instrument panel gauges? I have a few that are out and need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

It's not a bad job just kinda time consuming, have to take part of the dash apart to get to them. The steering wheel surround, lower panel, gauge cluster panel, then you will have access to the bolts for the gauge cluster. Then pull the cluster out a bit and twist the bulbs out of the back. The hardest parts are getting the surround out of the way, getting the headlight, 4 way flasher switch to release from the tabs from the front by the switch's.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Thanks Willy, figured it would be a process but wanted to hear first hand before I started removing pieces. I'll just have to keep track of where every screw goes.

I just replaced the front seat belts this weekend and that was a process. I removed enough screws to get my hand behind the panels to unbolt the belts, lets just say my hands are a little beat up now.

Nothing I can't handle next weeeknd though.

Thanks again,

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Anyone know if the bulbs come out of the socket? Trying to figure out of I can get them at a local auto parts store or if I need to order them through a dealership.

Thanks,

Matt
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

I *think* they come out of the socket, IIRC. Seams like I replaced one somewhere along the way.
Last edited by 93Cobra#2771 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

yes they come out, they are just a regular small bulb like the small one in ther rear tail light. Easy to replace, make sure to bend the brass tabs a bit to make sure they have good contact
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

just a 914 bulb
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Thanks guys, I took care of this today. Unfortunately I think I broke the fog light clip (the plastic clip at the end of the wires). One of the wires popped out so now it doesn't stay in snug so when I clip it back to the switch it doesn't work. Looks like I'll be taking it apart again at some point to fix it...

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Looks like my temp gauge isn't working either. Oh boy, I guess I'll be taking the dash apart a lot sooner than I anticipated.
k98dave

Post by k98dave »

My guess is that when you pulled the cluster out to get to the bulbs one of the flat harness connectors that feed the cluster may have pulled out a little. These connectors make contact with a flex tape circuit on the back of the cluster.

Go here and look at picture # 11 to see the conn.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techartic ... to_11.html
K98Dave
88 LX hatch -(SOLD
1984 SVO number 110 (SOLD)
93 Cobra Blk# 2100 Still a Virgin- No Mods
95 Lightning (SOLD)
86 LX Restoration in work)
2013 F150 Reg cab Short Bed 5.0
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Thanks Dave, I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow. The part I order to fix the fox lights from CJ Pony is on back order so looks like I'll be taking the cluster apart for a 3rd time later on down the road. I'll be a pro at it by then. At least I confirmed all the bulbs are working now.

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Thanks guys, I fixed everything on Friday so now the gauge is working properly, the fog lights are working again and there are no blown bulbs in the dash. Next up, brakes, x-pipe with high flow cats, and exhaust. Just need to find a local place that will resurface my rotors, I already bought new pads. That will be about it unless I put some tint on the windows and maybe a little paint work, the new paint on the front bumper is really bothering me with the difference. I know it will never match perfectly but in person I think it looks really bad.

Matt