Steering question

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Brookse

Steering question

Post by Brookse »

Hi guys... just got my Cobra out after the winter. I spend my winter in a Lincoln MKZ. Driving the Corba today, I realized just how bad the steering feel is on the Cobra compared to a new car (even my wife's Honda CRV). It's really bad. Like the steering box is half-fried, but it's not. Is there a way to tighten up the steering feel? It's just so loose - I know C&D complained about this bac in 1993 and now I see what they mean. There has to be a way to make the car be more responsive to the driver input or at least feel which way the wheels are pointed. If there's anything anyone knows, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Thank you.
k98dave

Post by k98dave »

Have you checked the steering shaft (between the firewall and the rack) the rag joint may be bad.

Looks like this (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... -Rag-Joint

There are aftermarket shafts that don't use this joint and these will tighten up the steering

The problem could also be the tie rod ends or the steering rack itself.
How many miles on the car?
K98Dave
88 LX hatch -(SOLD
1984 SVO number 110 (SOLD)
93 Cobra Blk# 2100 Still a Virgin- No Mods
95 Lightning (SOLD)
86 LX Restoration in work)
2013 F150 Reg cab Short Bed 5.0
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

A guy on the FEP site had the same complaint, that the steering on his car wasn't as precise as a new car. He has an '85 LTD LX with an EFI swap, five lug, Cobra brakes, 17 inch wheels, and on and on. He was running a Fox 5.0 rack. His solution was to swap in a Terminator rack, a near bolt-in requiring an adapter for the triangular input. He reported that the car felt as good as any modern car after the swap.

-MJS
Brookse

Post by Brookse »

Interesting on both replies. Thank you for the information. The car is going into the shop soon for some various stuff and I think I'll have them road test it and get their opinion on the feel of the car and these proposed changes. Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input.
Brookse

Post by Brookse »

PS: 40,000 miles. Mostly 1/4 mile at a time.
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Something else that makes a difference - a good set of castor/camber plates. Makes the care feel more planted...
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy