Mystery coolant leak?

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
jstanley55

Mystery coolant leak?

Post by jstanley55 »

So I have a little coolant dripping from my bell housing. I looked above, below, everywhere really and can't pin point it. Pressure tested it an no drop at all. Thinking maybe head gasket or freeze plug maybe? Figured i'd see if anyone had a suggestion. Next step I guess I am going to pull the upper intake off to get a better look. Plus I'll have my trans out in a week or so but I still need to find the issue first.
Thanks for the help!
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

I have had a few that had freeze plugs leaking, because they were rusty, and usually when one starts the rest will follow, so change as many as you can get too
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Could also have a leak at the intake gasket at the back of the head, I have seen this a few times, I haven't seen many Freeze Plugs leak on these cars, actually none to be honest. But have seen a many intake gaskets leak.
red95gts

Post by red95gts »

aaronlstiles wrote:Could also have a leak at the intake gasket at the back of the head, I have seen this a few times, I haven't seen many Freeze Plugs leak on these cars, actually none to be honest. But have seen a many intake gaskets leak.
+1

Might also look at the heater hoses where they connect to the firewall and where they connect to the hard lines on the lower intake. Depending on the location of the leak, you may see it on the bellhousing
-Darrell

2003 BMW M3 Coupe
93 Cobra #199 - SOLD
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Those hoses are prone to leake a bit when they get old.
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Thanks guys. Heater core hoses are good, first place I looked. I'll check the intake gasket...
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

If you can't find it, and she is running cool, just throw a small amout of stop leak in it. Should fix it.
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

aaronlstiles wrote:If you can't find it, and she is running cool, just throw a small amout of stop leak in it. Should fix it.
Really? I've heard horror stories about that stuff. Never used it myself though.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Don't use a whole bottle, just a little bit, I built a brand new motor, had small leak between water pump and the steel plate behind the pump, I put a little stop leak in it, and it fixed it, never had any issues out of it after I used it, but I think I did drain the radiator after the leak was fixed and put new coolant in the radiator only.