IAC bad???

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
big frank

IAC bad???

Post by big frank »

I have a bit of a hesitation from idle when tapping the gas peddle and also a bit of a rough idle. I have cleaned the filter (K&N) and will be installing a new fuel filter tomorrow. If that doesn't clean it up, should I look at the Idle Air Control valve? Any other place I should be looking short of a vacuum leak? The rough idle doesn't seem to be all of the time, leading me away from a vacuum leak. Thanks...

Frank
93 Cobra, Kenne Bell 2.1L, 42# injectors, 76mm C&L MAF and inlet tube, MM sub frames & K-brace, Hurst SST shifter, Moates QuarterHorse, DataQ, BE/EA tuning software, Flowmaster cat backs, Autometer gauges.

68 Shelby GT-350 in restoration
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

All the 93 cobras I have ever drove all had the little hessitation from idle. Dont know??
93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

Clean the IAC, clean the MAF and get some new plugs.
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
big frank

Post by big frank »

1993cobra wrote:All the 93 cobras I have ever drove all had the little hessitation from idle. Dont know??
Hmmm, I'll have to check out my friends here in town and see if it does the same thing. Have you ever tried changing the IAC on any of them?
93 Cobra, Kenne Bell 2.1L, 42# injectors, 76mm C&L MAF and inlet tube, MM sub frames & K-brace, Hurst SST shifter, Moates QuarterHorse, DataQ, BE/EA tuning software, Flowmaster cat backs, Autometer gauges.

1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

No, happent tried anything on them, they idle perfect and ran great after they passed that little dead spot. At wide open from a stop it passes it so fast you dont notice it. Or at least that has been my experience.
big frank

Post by big frank »

1993cobra wrote:No, happent tried anything on them, they idle perfect and ran great after they passed that little dead spot. At wide open from a stop it passes it so fast you dont notice it. Or at least that has been my experience.
Wide open from a stop? I'm sure you can't feel it over the g-force and your eyes burning from the tire smoke! :lol:

ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

"you shouldn't do that, that's hard on your car"

Mine has that rough spot right at 900rpm if you try to rev it quickly.
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
'95 SVT COBRA #3463 (current)
big frank

Post by big frank »

Can someone post a pic of it and directions on how to clean it? I have a hesitation at off idle and want to check this part. I have tried all of the other normal areas, ie. MAF, throttle body, vacuum leaks, etc, and still have the hesitation. Thanks..

93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

There are two bolts, take them off without tearing the gasket, disconnect the wire and remove the IAC. Spray the inside of the IAC with throttle body cleaner and scrape any gunk out, spray again and let drain. Let dry and re-install. It is really very easy, should take about 5 minutes max.
Last edited by 93COBRAinAZ on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

Have you changed the plugs yet? Also, change the fuel filter. Oh and you need one of these really bad. http://search.reviews.ebay.com/Chiltons ... oprZ825489
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
big frank

Post by big frank »

93COBRAinAZ wrote:There are two bolts, take them off without tearing the gasket, disconnect the wire and remove the IAC. Spray the inside of the IAC with throttle body cleaner and scrape any gunk out, spray again and let drain. Let dry and re-install. It is really very easy, should take about 5 minutes max.
Thanks for the info, but I don't know were or what the IAC looks like. I do have the manual that you mentioned in your other message, but it doesn't show the IAC or even have it in the index. Could theay be talking about the IAC on page 5-12 of that manual and calling it the Air Bypass Valve?

On edit. I haven't changed the plugs because they only have 34,000 miles on them. I did change the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body and the MAF and K&N air filter.

93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

big frank wrote:
93COBRAinAZ wrote:There are two bolts, take them off without tearing the gasket, disconnect the wire and remove the IAC. Spray the inside of the IAC with throttle body cleaner and scrape any gunk out, spray again and let drain. Let dry and re-install. It is really very easy, should take about 5 minutes max.
Thanks for the info, but I don't know were or what the IAC looks like. I do have the manual that you mentioned in your other message, but it doesn't show the IAC or even have it in the index. Could theay be talking about the IAC on page 5-12 of that manual and calling it the Air Bypass Valve?

On edit. I haven't changed the plugs because they only have 34,000 miles on them. I did change the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body and the MAF and K&N air filter.
Go to Google and type in Mustang IAC and you will find about 1,4853,857,172 pictures of it.
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

http://www2.partstrain.com/partlisting/ ... trol+Valve

It is connected to the throttle body.
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
big frank

Post by big frank »

93COBRAinAZ wrote:
big frank wrote:

Go to Google and type in Mustang IAC and you will find about 1,4853,857,172 pictures of it.

Thanks. I was doing just that when I get your message back. I'm going to go out this afternoon and see if I can get it off without ruining the gasket.

frank