Back on the Road...New Concern...

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
tliss

Back on the Road...New Concern...

Post by tliss »

Well guys, I am finally back on the raod after four months. Now I've got a bit of a new issue that is causing me concern. Basically my car got driven for the first time after much work and time. Well, I am smelling the scent of burnt plastic and the motor and transmission tunnel are getting pretty hot...doesn't seem like it is threatening to overheat, but I don't know for sure. Basically I could feel the heat around the shifter and center console.

Here is all that was done to the car:

New motor mounts and tranny mount
Chrome BBK headers
Added back stock H pipe with 4 cats
Flowmaster cat back
Added back all smog equipment including pump, crossover tube, exhaust return, check valves, etc.
Fresh Oil/Filter
Topped off coolant

I know the chrome headers will get hot, but I wouldn't expect them to get that hot. I drove it about 10 miles round trip and I could feel the heat after a short time on the highway. Any idea what it could be, based on what all I did to the car? Everything seesm to be running fine and don't see any indicators lights turning on. I'm going to jack it up again over the weekend and see if there is something visible. Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary in the engine bay. Could it be the cats breaking in? I acquired the H-pipe from someone in FL and I don't believe it has ever been installed.

Thanks in advance for all of the help and wisdom!
Tom

1993 Cobra-Black #3952
2001 Lightning-Black #2359
Phistry810

Post by Phistry810 »

Mine has always gotten really hot around the shifter/ash tray area. I have chrome headers as well as a Magna Flow H pipe. Both of these were on the car when I bought it. I asked my mechanic about the heat because the ash tray would get really hot but he said it was the setup and nothing to worry about. I've never had any problems with it. 10 minutes does seem kinda fast though.
Last edited by Phistry810 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 SVT Cobra Black/Gray #2010
05 Wrangler Willys 1 of 2,000
89 LX 5.0 Black Convertible (sold)
94 GT 5.0 White Convertible (sold)
88 GT 5.0 Red (sold)
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Haven't had any heat coming from that area.... Yet
BLK on Leather
hnkstang50

Post by hnkstang50 »

Do you have the rubber seal around the shifer on the tunnel? If not smells and heat can get in around the shifter. The smells may just be finger prints and stuff burning off the exhaust
tliss

Post by tliss »

hnkstang50 wrote:Do you have the rubber seal around the shifer on the tunnel? If not smells and heat can get in around the shifter. The smells may just be finger prints and stuff burning off the exhaust
I haev not messed around with the shifter, so I would assume it is still in place since I didn't haev the issue before all of this work. I really am hoping the burning smell is just the excess crap being burned off of the h-pipe...probably some tape and misc on it from shipping still.

I'll keep an eye on the heat...if it persists and I can pinpoint the headers I may break down and wrap them to keep some of the heat in. When I popped the hood the plastic surfaces (fan shroud, etc) were pretty hot as well (due to increased heat in the engine bay, obviously). I am really leaning toward the headers, although the transmission is on my mind as well...the mount was very worn out, so it is definitely sitting a bit higher now. Wouldn't think the transmission would put off that kind of heat, though, but it has crossed my mind.
Tom

1993 Cobra-Black #3952
2001 Lightning-Black #2359
Phistry810

Post by Phistry810 »

tliss wrote:
hnkstang50 wrote:Do you have the rubber seal around the shifer on the tunnel? If not smells and heat can get in around the shifter. The smells may just be finger prints and stuff burning off the exhaust
I haev not messed around with the shifter, so I would assume it is still in place since I didn't haev the issue before all of this work. I really am hoping the burning smell is just the excess crap being burned off of the h-pipe...probably some tape and misc on it from shipping still.

I'll keep an eye on the heat...if it persists and I can pinpoint the headers I may break down and wrap them to keep some of the heat in. When I popped the hood the plastic surfaces (fan shroud, etc) were pretty hot as well (due to increased heat in the engine bay, obviously). I am really leaning toward the headers, although the transmission is on my mind as well...the mount was very worn out, so it is definitely sitting a bit higher now. Wouldn't think the transmission would put off that kind of heat, though, but it has crossed my mind.
I was worried that mine was the transmission as well and thats why I asked about it with mine. My guy seemed to think it was the headers.
93 SVT Cobra Black/Gray #2010
05 Wrangler Willys 1 of 2,000
89 LX 5.0 Black Convertible (sold)
94 GT 5.0 White Convertible (sold)
88 GT 5.0 Red (sold)
k98dave

Post by k98dave »

Any residue on the h pipe will take some time to burn off. The cats will put out a lot of heat especially of your running a little rich. Also if your running the air pump pipe check the hose that connects it to the h pipe

You can blast everything with a couple cans of brake parts cleaner to remove any grease/oil
K98Dave
88 LX hatch -(SOLD
1984 SVO number 110 (SOLD)
93 Cobra Blk# 2100 Still a Virgin- No Mods
95 Lightning (SOLD)
86 LX Restoration in work)
2013 F150 Reg cab Short Bed 5.0
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

prob just all the new exhaust breaking in , you could look around and make sure no wires are laying on the exhaust anywhere. mine smells too, but mine smells more like rubber! :wink:
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Bingo. That rubber boot keeps all the smells and such from making their way inside the car. 9 times out of 10, if the car has ever had any tranny or shifter work, that boot gets cut and it's like a little furnace under the console.

Give it a week or two and the new smell will wear off the exhaust...
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy