White faced gauges

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
jstanley55

White faced gauges

Post by jstanley55 »

Are these just set over the existing cluster? My red car has them and I can't stand it. Plus during the day, white gauges with white needles are tough to read. Just wondering what I'm in for before I tear in it to remove them.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Most are overlays that stick to the factory gauge but some you remove the factory gauge cover. I've never had much luck removing maybe others have. I just paint my needle orange on a couple of them. If you do it right it will still illuminate also.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
WillyB93

Re: White faced gauges

Post by WillyB93 »

jstanley55 wrote:Are these just set over the existing cluster? My red car has them and I can't stand it. Plus during the day, white gauges with white needles are tough to read. Just wondering what I'm in for before I tear in it to remove them.
Now don't blame this for them speeding tickets now! LOL
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

SPEEDFREEK wrote:Most are overlays that stick to the factory gauge but some you remove the factory gauge cover. I've never had much luck removing maybe others have. I just paint my needle orange on a couple of them. If you do it right it will still illuminate also.
x2

Your best bet is to find an unmodified cluster and replace your modded one. You will need to take note of the location of your oil pressure gauge and your fuel level gauge. When you put the replacement cluster in, key on and make sure the positions line up with the positions you had before with your stocker key on.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
buddha

Post by buddha »

I wonder how these would come off with steam? Have to be careful with the cluster being plastic.....warp the hell out of it.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Some are adhered right over the old overlay, but most required taking the old overlays off and tossing them. If not, then you ended up having terrible light transmission through them.

Some provided their own light source, like mine (NR auto EL glo gauges, OEM supplier for Rousch at the time).

http://forums.corral.net/photopost/show ... user=37979
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

WillyB93 wrote: Now don't blame this for them speeding tickets now! LOL
Nope, that's just because I always want to be the first one on the freeway.
93Cobra#2771 wrote:Some are adhered right over the old overlay, but most required taking the old overlays off and tossing them. If not, then you ended up having terrible light transmission through them.

Some provided their own light source, like mine (NR auto EL glo gauges, OEM supplier for Rousch at the time).

The link doesn't work even when I'm logged in. I can see your cluster flash on the screen then I get a 404 error.
Last edited by jstanley55 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Hmmmm.... Maybe I'll put this project off a little while. Was hoping it was going to be simple. Ha! Nothing ever is...
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

jstanley55 wrote:Hmmmm.... Maybe I'll put this project off a little while. Was hoping it was going to be simple. Ha! Nothing ever is...
Just completely remove em, u don't need those stupid gauges
BLK on Leather
RollTide93

Post by RollTide93 »

vinchez78 wrote:
jstanley55 wrote:Hmmmm.... Maybe I'll put this project off a little while. Was hoping it was going to be simple. Ha! Nothing ever is...
Just completely remove em, u don't need those stupid gauges
Ya obviously he doesn't use them just ask CHP, ha!
-Brian-
93 SVT #15 (pre-production)
93 SVT #1809 SOLD

This is how we chill from 93 till.....
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

jstanley55 wrote:
WillyB93 wrote: Now don't blame this for them speeding tickets now! LOL
Nope, that's just because I always want to be the first one on the freeway.
93Cobra#2771 wrote:Some are adhered right over the old overlay, but most required taking the old overlays off and tossing them. If not, then you ended up having terrible light transmission through them.

The link doesn't work even when I'm logged in. I can see your cluster flash on the screen then I get a 404 error.
Not sure what the problem is - anyone else having the same problem? If so, go to corral.net under this same username and go to my photo gallery there. Should be on page 2, IIRC.
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

93Cobra#2771 wrote:
SPEEDFREEK wrote:Most are overlays that stick to the factory gauge but some you remove the factory gauge cover. I've never had much luck removing maybe others have. I just paint my needle orange on a couple of them. If you do it right it will still illuminate also.
x2

Your best bet is to find an unmodified cluster and replace your modded one. You will need to take note of the location of your oil pressure gauge and your fuel level gauge. When you put the replacement cluster in, key on and make sure the positions line up with the positions you had before with your stocker key on.
X3
It's not that hard to do. Time consuming yes a little. Just lots of little screws. I didn't replace the whole cluster though. Just bought another one and took the faces off and replaced the white face gauges on mine with the stock black ones.
The biggest B1TCH was getting the fuel level gauge to read correct. But i think i put the wrong needle on or something because i swapped the needles and it worked perfectly after that...
Give me a call if you need help.
-Brian

On the hunt again...
Looking for a very nice all stock driver Red with NO Sunroof car!!!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

turn the key on and take a picture of where the needles are setting, and before you put them back , plug the cluster in and turn the key on, then lightly place the needles on where they were before, turn the key off and on, make sure they look good then push them all the way , remove it and finish reassembly.
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

1993cobra wrote:turn the key on and take a picture of where the needles are setting, and before you put them back , plug the cluster in and turn the key on, then lightly place the needles on where they were before, turn the key off and on, make sure they look good then push them all the way , remove it and finish reassembly.
Ahhh that advice probably would of saved me about 5 times of disassembling my cluster...
-Brian

On the hunt again...
Looking for a very nice all stock driver Red with NO Sunroof car!!!
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Thanks for all the tips guys! Big help! It'll probably be a project for next month. I'll let you know how it goes...
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)