Replacing shocks and struts

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
trackpilot

Replacing shocks and struts

Post by trackpilot »

So i dropped off the car today to get the eibach springs the car had on it swapped out for some factory springs i got. Well as the guy was taking the strut out he said he had to compress it to take it out and the strut stayed in the down position and wouldn't pull back out. So the strut is a goner. Plus i've been have a VERY BOUNCY ride the past month, which i was hoping was just the springs but i guess not.
So here is my dillema i have some Tokico Blue struts and shocks that i bought and hadn't returned to latemodelresto yet that i can put on. But should i leave the eibach's on now since i'm replacing the other stuff or put the factory springs back on?
The only reason i'm wondering is for resale value. I'm putting the car up for sale next month when i can get the car detailed and some nice pics taken.
-Brian

On the hunt again...
Looking for a very nice all stock driver Red with NO Sunroof car!!!
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Damn dude don't sell it, give ya lifetime supply of porkchops for it?
BLK on Leather
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

Nah it's going for sure. I originally wanted an all stocker with around 10k miles on it. I got antsy and jumped on this one since it was close to me.
Once i do sell i'll be looking for a Teal/Leather/NO sunroof car.
-Brian

On the hunt again...
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

So how much u thinkin of selling? How many miles u got on it know? I don't think putting aftermarket shocks and struts would hurt the resale value, but thats just me, chime in Cobra experts
BLK on Leather
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I would use the blue one's, and also have the stock springs put back in, will help in re-sell if you ask me. Most all the 93's now even low mile cars, the struts and shocks are shot on. Even just from sitting
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

aaronlstiles wrote:I would use the blue one's, and also have the stock springs put back in, will help in re-sell if you ask me. Most all the 93's now even low mile cars, the struts and shocks are shot on. Even just from sitting
Yeah i figure the eibach's killed my stockers. I'm pretty pissed about it.
I'm not sure i think the stock springs plus blue struts would be a weird combo. I think it'd better suit the eibachs.
Also my car already has other mods, has full exhaust and 3.73's. So it would just be a nice low mile tastefully modded car.
I'm not sure though. Gotta make a decision in the morning as the shop doesn't want the car stuck on the lift and tomorrow is the only day i'll be in town for the next week.
-Brian

On the hunt again...
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I've ran the blue's with stock springs, they work fine.
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

X2 it'll be fine with the blues and stock springs. However, if I was buying a car with some mods I'd like to have the eibach springs on it. The only way I'd have one of these cars stock height is if it was all stock. IMO they sit way too high from the factory. But...with stock springs I guess it's just that much closer to stock if the new owner is going to finish putting it back that way. Tough call...
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

jstanley55 wrote:X2 it'll be fine with the blues and stock springs. However, if I was buying a car with some mods I'd like to have the eibach springs on it. The only way I'd have one of these cars stock height is if it was all stock. IMO they sit way too high from the factory. But...with stock springs I guess it's just that much closer to stock if the new owner is going to finish putting it back that way. Tough call...
EXACTLY my thoughts. So do you think the car would be worth the same regardless of what springs are in it or what? I keep going back and forth about this. lol
-Brian

On the hunt again...
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I can tell you, that it is way easier to install drop springs, and if you included them in the sale the owner could put them in easy, versus fighting to put stock springs back in, if that is what they wanted. Just may take on it.
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

trackpilot wrote:
jstanley55 wrote:X2 it'll be fine with the blues and stock springs. However, if I was buying a car with some mods I'd like to have the eibach springs on it. The only way I'd have one of these cars stock height is if it was all stock. IMO they sit way too high from the factory. But...with stock springs I guess it's just that much closer to stock if the new owner is going to finish putting it back that way. Tough call...
EXACTLY my thoughts. So do you think the car would be worth the same regardless of what springs are in it or what? I keep going back and forth about this. lol
That all depends in the buyer I guess. If I was to buy it (well depending on miles and price) and it had factory springs I'd already have the cost of replacing the springs figured in my head when deciding what I'd pay for it but that's just me.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

aaronlstiles wrote:I can tell you, that it is way easier to install drop springs, and if you included them in the sale the owner could put them in easy, versus fighting to put stock springs back in, if that is what they wanted. Just may take on it.
Good point. Getting the stockers back in is kind of a pain in the ass.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
trackpilot

Post by trackpilot »

aaronlstiles wrote:I can tell you, that it is way easier to install drop springs, and if you included them in the sale the owner could put them in easy, versus fighting to put stock springs back in, if that is what they wanted. Just may take on it.
I figured taking out the stock springs and installing them would be the same amount of difficulty? Why is it harder to install?
-Brian

On the hunt again...
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

trackpilot wrote:
I figured taking out the stock springs and installing them would be the same amount of difficulty? Why is it harder to install?
Much taller and harder to compress to the size needed to drop them in. The lowering springs don't even need to be compressed. They just set right in.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

What Jason said, Stock Springs are a PAIN in the ass to install. Much taller and stiffer spring.

I bought a Ford Tool made especially for Fox Body Springs. The tool was $300, and I have used it many times, the only way to install a stock spring without it, is to put the car on a Lift, take both control arm bolts and lower the car while the control arm is on a stand, then put the Control arm bolts back in, major pain in the ass.