Airbag diagnosis codes

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Re: Airbag diagnosis codes

Post by vinchez78 »

I just don't know what to make of the flashing, it didn't flash at all today on the way to work, until half way back home it started flashing 45 code, but isn't it suppose to flash all the time??
BLK on Leather
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

check the connector, and the wiring , look for loose connections, or wires rubbed .
COBRAJR707

Post by COBRAJR707 »

1993cobra wrote:Listed in order starting with highest priority
12 - low battery voltage
13 - airbag circuit sensors shorted to ground
21 - safing sensor not mounted to vehicle properly
22 - safing sensor output shorted to battery voltage
23 - safing sensor input feed / return circuit open
24 - safing sensor output feed / return circuit open or low resistance in a primary crash sensor
32 - driver side airbag circuit high resistance or open
33 - pin 7 not grounded
34 - driver side airbag circuit low or shorted
35 - pin 8 and 9 shorted together
41 - primary crash sensor circuit high resistance or open
44 - rh headlamp primary crash sensor not mounted properly
45 - center primary crash sensor not mounted properly
46 - lh headlamp primary crash sensor not mounted properly
51 - diagnostic monitor internal thermal fuse blown
52 - backup power supply voltage boost fault
53 - internal diagnostic montitor fault
rapid flashing - all primary sensors disconnected
no light - no ignition voltage to diagnostic monitor
continuos light - diagnostic monitor disconnected or innoperative

I have code 12 on mine, but my battery is brand new, and I have no drivability issues. What do you think can be the problem?
#3851 red/graycloth/sunroof
91 GT burgundy/titanium gray cloth
92 GT black/titanium gray cloth sunroof (sold)
96 GT burgundy/peanut butter convertible (sold)
88 GT white/titanium red cloth (RIP)
goode34

Post by goode34 »

Alternator not charging the battery fully maybe?
#639 Red, Grey leather, hardtop
1990 LX Hatch w/bolt-ons (Sold)
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

I have Code 24 and according to the shop manual it says "safing sensor" (that is the rear sensor) OR low resistance in a primary crash sensor (that is the front sensors). That is exactly out of the 1993 Ford Mustang shop manual.

How many sensors are on our cars? is it two in the front of the radiator and two in the rear?

thanks
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

JohnLynch wrote:I have Code 24 and according to the shop manual it says "safing sensor" (that is the rear sensor) OR low resistance in a primary crash sensor (that is the front sensors). That is exactly out of the 1993 Ford Mustang shop manual.

How many sensors are on our cars? is it two in the front of the radiator and two in the rear?

thanks
There are five sensors in our cars. A dual sensor at the center of the radiator support (just to the left of the factory drive belt sticker). A single sensor on the passenger-side of the radiator support (just to the left of where the hood prop rod attaches to the radiator support). A single sensor on the driver-side of the radiator support (to the right of the prop rod holder). A single sensor on the inside of the driver-side B pillar (this is the one referred to as the rear sensor in the Ford shop manual).
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

actually there is a sensor behind each headlight(2), one in the middle(1), one in the left driver quarter panel(1), and the module is also contains a sensor under the radio(1)
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

1993cobra wrote:actually there is a sensor behind each headlight(2), one in the middle(1), one in the left driver quarter panel(1), and the module is also contains a sensor under the radio(1)
Interesting ... the only real difference between my post and this post is the radio sensor rather than a center dual sensor. Both of us still list 5 sensors.

The sensor at the center of the radiator support (just to the left of the factory drive belt sticker) is the "one in the middle".
The single sensor on the passenger-side of the radiator support (just to the left of where the hood prop rod attaches to the radiator support) is behind the pass-side headlight.
The single sensor on the driver-side of the radiator support (to the right of the prop rod holder) is behind the driver-side headlight.
The single sensor on the inside of the driver-side B pillar (referred to as the rear sensor in the Ford shop manual) is the one "in the left driver quarter panel".

With regard to the 3 (or 4) sensors in the front, simply open your hood and look for the green screws at the locations I described and you'll see the sensors directly beneath the radiator support assembly.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

i considered the the sensor in the middle radiator support to be 1 sensor not two.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Understood. I referred to that one as a dual sensor because that's what was in the Ford shop manual. Also, the shop manual I checked did not list a sensor under the radio.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Under the radio is the monitor, I believe it has dome motion sensing capabilities.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I see instructions at various websites for shorting a gray plug that is supposedly under the glovebox as a way to clear airbag codes. My only problem is that I do not see the plug where it is supposed to be. Did the 93 Cobra have the airbag trouble code plug under the glovebox?
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

ill check on it, I know the 94 95 had the connector under the glove box.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

1993cobra wrote:ill check on it, I know the 94 95 had the connector under the glove box.
Thanks!
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I finally fixed my airbag code issue! I found a guy selling a 92 - 93 airbag diagnostic monitor that he fixed - he puts in new capacitors and a new thermal fuse. It was a tedious job getting the old one out but the repaired unit worked perfectly! This is the first time in a few years that I do not have to watch that stupid 5 - 2 code endlessly blink at me. Happy day!