Adding Power Seat

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
NV93Cobra

Adding Power Seat

Post by NV93Cobra »

I'm looking to add the power seat frame to a 93 GT. Do I need to run a separate power line, or does it run off the same power as the power lumber?
1993 SVT Cobra #4970
1993 Mustang GT (Sold)
Cobra Jet

Re: Adding Power Seat

Post by Cobra Jet »

If I understand your question correctly - you have a 93 GT and are wanting to add a power seat (track)...

Pull the existing seat in the car out, pull up the carpet on the driver side and look to see if the pwr seat harness is tucked under the carpet either near the trans tunnel or near the interior rocker. Ford was notorious for using the same body harnesses throughout the 87-93 model years on cars that could have had certain options but did not.... These hidden harnesses contained the wiring or connectors for certain options (when the actual option was not installed into the car).

If you are able to locate the harness, you can plug right in and have instant pwr seat. If the harness is not there, all you need to do is locate the ground from the pwr seat track and ground it to the floor pan, then locate the pwr leads ("+" or hot wires) from the seat track and tap those into a good hot source, such as the same lead as the pwr lumbar (as you asked). You could tap the hot into the cig lead or even the pwr door lock/window lead as well.

Same holds true for the trunk/gas door release buttons, foglights (on LX models), the light group under the dash (for convertibles) and a few others - the main harnesses had these connectors in all models, you just had to look for them if you wanted to add "X".
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13