Amp bypass...

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
bryan93

Amp bypass...

Post by bryan93 »

Just picked up a black 93 Cobra a few months ago and have been spending a lot of time un-f'ing the previous owners mechanical shortcomings. Yanked out the filthy original carpet and put in a little sound deadening/insulation and figured it would be a good time to replace an ancient Sony head unit that was in the car.

Using the bypass "kit" I used the new grey and black male plugs and plugged them in accordingly to the existing female grey and black plugs(that were attached to AC control frame). This eliminated the wiring harness that ran to the factory amp. Which makes sense and appeared was going to work.

Problem is I get nothing from the new head unit. It will not power on, so obviously no sound from speakers. Double checked the ground, power and constant and still get nothing(no power to head unit). Fuse is good in the head unit.

I put the old head unit in(aftermarket 1990's sony head unit, which worked prior using the factory amp) and it gets no power either.

Any ideas where Im getting hemmed up? :pat:

Thanks in advance
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: Amp bypass...

Post by 1993cobra »

Fuse?
bryan93

Post by bryan93 »

1993cobra wrote:Fuse?
Yeah it was. Thought the #8 was the radio but it was #11. Had a short from the the visor light wire(put new headliner in) which blew the fuses...Problem solved.

Frustration had me jump the gun a bit for some help. :doh:

Thanks though
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Welcome to the site Bryan! We are always here to help , where are you from , tell us about your car , when you get time.
Mystic1199

Post by Mystic1199 »

thats awesome you found the bypass harness and didnt cut anything ...but can i ask why bypass the factory amp ? unless old owner messed it up to begin with lol
bryan93

Post by bryan93 »

Welcome to the site Bryan! We are always here to help , where are you from , tell us about your car , when you get time.
Thanks again. Im in Las Vegas and bought the car from a guy in California in November with 80k miles. Paint is kind of a mess(checkered hood, fading in some spots) but overall car is in great shape. No rust, never in a wreck, all VIN tags in place and was bone stock, down to factory plug wires.

I know its a sacrilegious to some to modify these things but I've added full exhaust( 1 3/4" LT's, O/R X and a Bassani catback)
Tokico shocks/struts, Eibach Sportlines and MM Caster/Camber plates. Interior has new headliner, front/hatch carpet and weather striping. Installed all new hoses, plugs, wires, cap , rotor, TPS/IAC sensors, 02's and fresh filters. Car runs great. Hoping for a NA Dart 363/T56 set up in the future. :ak47:

Dont plan on modifying overall look as far as body and wheels or the interior...just freshen it up. It was a filthy mess inside but everything was there and functional. Always loved these cars growing up and through high school...ran into this one and couldnt pass up the deal.
thats awesome you found the bypass harness and didnt cut anything ...but can i ask why bypass the factory amp ? unless old owner messed it up to begin with lol
ehh...IMO the factory stereo is beyond terrible, not trying to blow my ear drums out but it was so bad I couldn't take it. Any modern head unit has a built in amplifier that is light years ahead of the "premium" factory equipment. Just personal preference I guess.

I added a new head unit and replaced the factory speakers with new kenwoods. Nothing crazy, but sounds night and day better than what was in it(factory speakers).

:drive:
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Welcome to the site. Post some pics when you have the chance. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a modded Cobra! 8)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Welcome to the site!
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
bryan93

Post by bryan93 »

Z282SLO wrote:Welcome to the site. Post some pics when you have the chance. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a modded Cobra! 8)
Agreed :smokin:

Yeah i'll get some up...right now the interior is stripped out except the headliner and hatch so the car is a disaster as of today, should have it buttoned up this week sometime :drive:

Thanks again