5.0 Cobra Water Pump

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

5.0 Cobra Water Pump

Post by POOBLAH »

Hey,

Ive been recently working on replacing all the seals for my waterpump and timing chain cover. Originally I was planning on using my old waterpump, but as I've been cleaning it, the walls where the gasket meets the aluminum are VERY pitted. I went ahead and bought a remained waterpump from autozone because I was originally thinking I would just replace the plate and use the old pump. (The plate looked awful and the pump didn't look so bad at first) As it turns out.... my rebuilt waterpump I got from Autozone ended up being a original Ford pump (E9TE-8505-AA).

The is only a small difference in the numbers..
My original water pump is E9TE-8505-A4A with a casting date of 1990
The new rebuilt one from Autozone is E9TE-8505-AA with a casting date of 0

Im guessing neither are the "Original pumps" since they don't date to 1992 (car was built in October)

Is there any difference between these two pumps and do you recommend me using the old pump to keep it original or the newer rebuilt one since its also a FORD?
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
Just93

Re: 5.0 Cobra Water Pump

Post by Just93 »

I'm not the type to be all about numbers match, so with that being said I think you will be fine replacing the water pump. As far as I feel a water pump is a wear part just like tires and brake pads. I can't see anyone picking you apart for replacing it.
scootro

Post by scootro »

hey atleast you caught it before it pooped out
Keepin' The Old School Alive
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

POOBLAH wrote:Hey,

Ive been recently working on replacing all the seals for my waterpump and timing chain cover. Originally I was planning on using my old waterpump, but as I've been cleaning it, the walls where the gasket meets the aluminum are VERY pitted. I went ahead and bought a remained waterpump from autozone because I was originally thinking I would just replace the plate and use the old pump. (The plate looked awful and the pump didn't look so bad at first) As it turns out.... my rebuilt waterpump I got from Autozone ended up being a original Ford pump (E9TE-8505-AA).

The is only a small difference in the numbers..
My original water pump is E9TE-8505-A4A with a casting date of 1990
The new rebuilt one from Autozone is E9TE-8505-AA with a casting date of 0

Im guessing neither are the "Original pumps" since they don't date to 1992 (car was built in October)

Is there any difference between these two pumps and do you recommend me using the old pump to keep it original or the newer rebuilt one since its also a FORD?
Like other parts on cars back in the day, also more then you can think of now days. Most parts are as universal on many different models and some makes same brands. I would just use the re-manned pump and go on about it. Now if it is a lower mileage car and it just started leaking like they do from the seals wearing out, I would send it off and have it re-built.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Thanks for the input guys! The rebuilt pump is going on. :-)
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."