Fog Lights

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
mkeane93

Fog Lights

Post by mkeane93 »

have a question about fog lights on my cobra, they have not worked since I got car last may, previous owner installed all new headlights and foglights(said he thought they worked but wasn't sure), had car in for service and had them check them out and they said I have power from the headlight switch to the foglights but they still don't work, I would think it could be the bulb but what are the chances both bulbs would go out at the same time(mostly being new too)? checked wiring coming out of the back of foglight and passenger wire looks kinda rough and maybe spliced together, if that was a bad connection would it prevent both from coming on? just trying to check some things before I start spending money on new foglights or headlight switch or who knows what else
2014 Race Red Shelby GT500
Cobra Jet

Re: Fog Lights

Post by Cobra Jet »

Here's some info for you - hope it helps.

In the event you did not know, the 87-93 factory fog light set up is known to overheat and/or cause problems (more so for those that use fogs daily). In extreme instances of overheating, the back of the light switch will show signs of melting, as well as the connector going into it. Some folks are known to have remedied this by "correcting" the factory wiring by themselves (some better than others). If you suspect the wiring is modified, I would trace the wiring behind the light switch at the dash, as well as down to the lights. Check for any breaks, as over time the harness wires do become brittle (you may have to remove any black conduit over the actual wires to see any signs of damage).

This link below - is used for correcting the factory wiring to reduce the possibility of shorts, overheating, etc:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/ ... s-Horn.gif

This link below is the original fog light schematic for the 87-93 fogs - good to use to trace the wiring:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/ ... glamps.gif

I'd advise others to save the above images to their own computers in the event the above sites are not available in the future.

Check for a bad fuse and/or a bad relay too.
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13
mkeane93

Re: Fog Lights

Post by mkeane93 »

thanks, took the fog light apart and looks like a bad connection on the light itself, previous owner told me he had a problem with them flicking after replacing them, just gonna replace them since I have power going to connector, didn't ford fix the problem of the switch over heating in 93? my last 2 '93's I had never had a problem with the switch and I always ran the fog lights
2014 Race Red Shelby GT500